Moderator thread - CZ452 Varmit

marlin.45

Well SAK arrived and it fits ;)

Tried it out with a small batch of CCI Subs (old style with copper plating/wash). Definitely reduces the 'crack' but no way silent but the common name is a misnomer anyway :rolleyes: Compared to no silencer when you get far more noise and a muzzle flash from the short 16"(?) barrel.

What did surprise me was that out of the 5 rounds tried one went off with a mighty crack. I seem to remember on one forum or another someone commenting that these old school CCI Subs had a quality control prob and this was the result?

I have 500 of the newer lubed cast lead bullet type to get through and they seemed good from the 50 or so that have gone through it but the older type were given free so I outa use them up. Rude not too? :thumbs:

Edited by marlin.45

I always found the CCIs to be quite inconsistant. A few were like high velocity and a few were more like 22 shorts.

I tried Magtechs - cheap, but loud. I found Eleys to be quietest and Winchester were good too. I read that PMC Moderators are very quiet, but never tried them myself (can't get them locally)

I did have a Sak on my CZ 17hmr varmint, excellent moderator for the money. Replaced it recently with an ASE Ultra, which is a fair bit quieter, but a touch heavier. And putting the baffles back in is like a Chinese puzzle! :rolleyes: