Which gun???

liamp79

Hi all,

Getting into pigeon/rabbit shooting again after a long break. Have a shotgun but want to update the old spring air rifle.

My lovely wife has told me that i can spend about £300 - £350.(She holds the purse strings)

Been looking, but there is so much out there to choose from!

Any recomendations?

Been Looking at stuff like Weihrauch HW90 or the Webley Raider 10 looks nice! Is PCP the way forward???

Any advice or recomendations would be great!

Cheers,

Liamp79

go pcp, definately the way forward. :blink:

i got back into airguns with a second hand air arms s400.

nice gun for reasonable price.

got a hills pump rather than bottle and haven't had any problems with it.

check out airgun bbs, second hand gear comes up all the time.

I started off with a break barrel springer (like most of us), then went SGC/FAC.. love my LR but also got a FAC PCP and whilst I still have rose tinted memories of stalking into 20ish yards to take a kneeling shot at a bunny, you can't beat a good PCP.

S200, S400 or S410 are all spot on and usually can be had for good money or BSA Superten/Ultra.

I'm glad I got a bottle but for a non-FAC gun, a pump is fine, just don't let the gun run out of air... much easier to top up than fill from scratch.

Save a bit longer and get a Theoben Rapid 7 or 12 mate. Both are very accurate guns and have nice large shot capacity. But if you could even save too the £500 mark. Your choice would increase greatly. You should be able to get either a brand new gun or a cracking second hand one with a few trimmings. Keep looking on this forum too. There's always deals to be had for your budget. What ever you buy i hope you enjoy it. I'v been out of the airgun scene for about 10yrs. And getting my new rapid 12 was money well spent.

ATB

DD

you can buy a new raider 10shot for under 300 quid these days, which is a bargain, however these are not birmingham made, but turkish. not that that makes a difference, there are too many 'snobs' that are willing to put down the new generation of raiders. i think this is an ideal starter multi shot- i have talked to people on the forums who have them and they were all pleased, bar one person who's raider had a faulty cocking bolt-webley sorted it out for him tho' in record time.

i have an air arms s410 which is a blinding rifle, 10 shot, very accurate, consistent power, lightweight and if you search the forums, has to be one of the if not 'the' most recommended air rifle around. tho' this maybe because the majority of us can not afford a daystate or theoben. a secondhand one can be picked up for between 250-400 but its worth trolling the forums and biding your time till one takes your fancy.

PCP is definately the way forward.I personally would never go back to shooting Spring rifles.In your price bracket go for a nice HW97 or TX200.My advice would be to save as much as you can and buy a PCP,either an Air Arms S410 or if you got more funds available get a PCP Theoben Rapid.

Hi all,

Getting into pigeon/rabbit shooting again after a long break. Have a shotgun but want to update the old spring air rifle.

My lovely wife has told me that i can spend about £300 - £350.(She holds the purse strings)

Been looking, but there is so much out there to choose from!

Any recomendations?

Been Looking at stuff like Weihrauch HW90 or the Webley Raider 10 looks nice! Is PCP the way forward???

Any advice or recomendations would be great!

Cheers,

Liamp79

air arms s300 or s400 cracking gun really accurate ,stay away from bsa or logun your inviting problems

I'm going to buck the trend here. For that sort of budget I'd go for a quality gas ram or under lever. Perhaps a second hand Theoben or Weihrauch.

If you go the route of PCP you'll need a pump (ideally with a drypac) or a bottle and charging kit. By the time you factor in that you can add another £150 to £200 to your budget. If you do decide to buy a PCP however Theoben, Air Arms or Weihrauch is the way to go; remember thought that you'll be needing to spend the upper limit of your budget on the rifle alone.

In the right hands and with practice a gas ram or springer rifle is almost as accurate as a PCP, the downside is reloading after every shot, the upside is that you won't be worrying about charge levels and you won't have to keep refilling it, you won't have to find space to store a bottle or pump.

My own personal experience is that using a PCP made me lazy and less versatile. I became reliant on bipods and surfaces to lean on rather than learning and practicing the basics of stance and hold. In the short time I've owned my gas ram I can hand on heart say it's improved my shooting with both air rifle and rimfire. I'm now confident to take shots either standing or seated without a bipod or supporting surface in sight. I'm every bit as accurate as I was with the PCP.

John Darling and Terry Doe have both written books which will help you to get the best out of a gas ram or spring powered air rifle. Alternatively keep perusing the For Sale section, you may come across a PCP package that has everything you need and meets your budget, but you'll need a few shovel fulls of patience I would have thought.

All that said, welcome back to the world of rabbit shooting. Good luck! :good:

• 2 weeks later...
I'd hedge my bets :D and look at both PCPs and CO2s.Some CO2s can be refilled just like a PCP.Jim. :good:

the bad thing about co2's is, they vary their output according to outside temperature. a lot of people like to buy the smk's and modify them. however you can modify a co2 on a cold day so it fires at 11.5ftlbs and then Baam!! on a hot day it shoots over 13ftlbs. then you run into pc plod and you have a bit of explaining to do. don't worry though, you'll have up to 5 years to come up with a good explanation.pcps are the way forward, however remember this, if you need to go out quick to do a quick bit of pesting, can you afford to pump up your pcp too..its all about horses for courses.