Lure fishing

red_stag88

I do plenty of pike fishing using lures. My most consistent lures have got to be Rapala super shads, spring dawgs in many colours and Bomber long A's in fire tiger.As regards surface lures heddon lucky 13 and owt else that makes a big disturbance. For perch you cant beat small rapalas and like you say the ondex in silver. Try pike on fly gear they go nuts when there hooked and perch aint bad either.

For pike I use Rapala super shads, Bill Lewis Rat L Trap Lures, especially the "suspending" versions.

Top Dog surface lures are very successful, during the Summer.

I also use a lot of various jelly worm/fish lures in conjunction with lead jig heads, both for pike and perch.

The advantage of the rubber/jelly baits, is they are single hook and by putting the point of the hook in the thinnest part of the lure, you make them "weedless".

I bring back all of my lures from the US. They are mostly bass, walleye and northern pike lures.

I am tempted to try fly fishing for pike, but not enough to go out and buy (another) new rod.

My heaviest fly rod is 9 wt., which may be a bit too light.

I have caught perch on fly, when trout fishing and I have been "bitten off" by pike, at the same reservoir.

9wt fly rod will be fine, just use flies that dont hold to much water such as bucktail and arctic fox.Your 9 wt fly rod will handle a big pike no worries.A mate of mine uses a 9wt all the time and this doesn't seem to harm the fish when it comes to releasing,the trick is using the correct leader strength, you will be suprised how much stick you can give the fish and how much the rod will take.

As regards the wire trace I tend to use one of no more than 10 inches, this may sound short,but you don't get the pike wrapping round the trace as you would when livebaiting etc. I use a tiny snap link minus the swivel at the hook end of the trace and just twist a loop at the leader end of the trace and attach the leader to the loop. As yet I have had no problems with being broken up. One good little tip at the end of the trace is to lightly cover the twsisted wire with wax, this prevents the fly attaching itself to the trace.

Done a bit in the sea with the fly rod, your dead right pollack go like mad on fly gear, as do mackerel, bass and coalfish. Long Bucktail streamers in blues and silvers have been my best flies. Fancy trying a bit of estuary sea trout fly fishing on some of the cumbrian estuaries, has anyone any suggestions on methods and tides etc?

Hi supergame.I fish for seatrout on the cumbrian ehen but have been considering fishing the estuary which is not far from my home and also not that far from where the late hugh falkus used to live.I have fished this estuary and caught some nice bass and while catching them i noticed on numerous occasions seatrout leaping clear of the water but have never tried fishing for them but i will be giving them a go this summer.Are you in the cumbrian area supergame?

Regards sean. :sick:

Hi supergame.No i have not tried the kent estuary,where is the kent estuary?It will most certainly be worth your while trying for these estuary seatrout as over the years i have learned that the fresher the fish the more eager it will be to take your lure,and lets face it they dont come any fresher run than from the sea.I tie a lure called a black and silver snake which represents a sandeel quite well and they work really well on the river but i think they would work equally well in the estuary.I would be happy to give you tying instructions for the fly (if you tie your own).

Sean.

I,ve sea fly fished In the US and Ireland, but I have never had any luck in the UK. I must confess to not persevering for very long.

A great lure for redfish,"sea trout" and cobia in the US is made from basically tying a squirrel tail to a long shank 2/0 to 3/0 hook.

Wet in the water, it looks like a sandeel. I,m sure it would work on pollack ,bass etc.

Supergame here are tying instructions for black and silver snake.

1) Fix size 12 or 14 treble in vice.

2)Take a lenght of stiff nylon,I use 15 lbs breaking strain,fold nylon in half and place round the back of the treble then lay nylon on the sides of the treble shank and tie down,then pass the ends of your nylon through the eye of the treble but pass them through opposite sides.

3)Take a length of either pearl or silver mylar tubing (the thinner the better)slip this over your nylon and tie this onto the treble hook.

4)Take a down eye hook and cut the bend off it just leaving a straight length,place this in vice.

5)Take the treble hook mount and pass both ends of the nylon through the eye of the hook shank and allow plenty of nylon to stick through the eye.

6)Tie the nylon down to the shank then pull the rest of the nylon up to the shank and tie down to underside of hook shank.

7)Pull mylar tubing up the hook shank and tie in at head of hook,Add black squirrel tail wing equal to the overall length of mount (This should be around 1.5-2 inches and jungle cock to form the cheeks.

This pattern works really well for me on the river but i think it would be equally as effective on estuary seatrout.

Regards sean.

:sick:

Sean I meant to ask you the other day. As regards the estuary sea trout, which month would be the best to start flyfishing.

I've seen plenty of of sea trout jumping when I've had a bash at the flatties on the odd occasion during the autumn months, but i would think it might be worth a crack from May/June onwards would you agree?

I've spent the last few nights tying up a few flies based on sandeel immitations, using squirrel, Blue cock, teal and pearly stuff and they look rather good. Havn't as yet tied your fly due to having run out of treble hooks and a couple of other bits.

Hi supergame.I favour the months of may,june and july for seatrout fly fishing.We sometimes see a run of fish in the river around mid may and when i see them in the river i will try the estuary.Another superb fly i forgot to mention is a needle fly which is just a darning needle with a treble fitted by using silicone rubber tubing and a squirrel wing tied very sparsely.I will post up tying instructions when i have time.

Hi supergame.You are correct in saying tide strength more or less governs your choice of fly line.I personally like an intermediate or sink tip line so you are getting down to the fish but having said that if i see a lot of surface activity i would try a floater.Fly fishing is so unpredictable you can never be sure what to use, you have to keep choping and changing tacktics untill you get it right.

red stag88, it depends where you are and what you want to catch.

Most piers and marinas in Europe have mullet around them and they are catchable.

As grey mullet is (almost) inedible, the locals ignore them.

Use freshwater gear like a telescopic float rod, 5/6lb mono reel line, float and No 16-12 hook to 3lb line.

Start the float at say, 3 ft and go deeper until you find the fish.

Bread flake is the bait.

If you have the facilities, a small mesh bag with some broken up bread slices in it, lowered into the water, is good groundbait.  

You will need a drop net or landing net, as that tackle will not lift them up the side of a wall or pier.

I have caught mullet to 6lbs using this method.

Wrasse, rockling and similar types of fish are normally around, but for them you will need worm or fish bait, presented on,or near the bottom.

These fish tend to be small.

Another good tip, is watch the locals. 8-)