Returning to hunting after 20 years...

Shooting Tigers

Hi,

I have not hunted with an air rifle for over 20 years, but I now have opportunities to get back into it. The last time I hunted, I used a cheap and nasty break-barrel springer, but now I am after a good PNP. PNP's were new and expensive back then, and I have not kept abreast of new stuff. So, I am after opinions and recommendations (from regular hunters) about a good PNP air rifle suitable for hunting. The quarry is going to be rabbits, squirrel, woodpidgeon, crows and magpies, etc. Can anyone recommend a 12 ft.lb. PNP air rifle that fits this spec? :-

1) QUALITY. Well designed, well engineered, solidly built, reliable, multi-shot PNP (bolt action?/ semi-auto?/ magazine size?/ shots-per-charge?) Nothing cheap-and-nasty!

2) CONSISTENT ACCURACY. Consistent muzzle energy and superb accuracy. I have read about PNPs both with, and without, regulators; non-reg PNPs suffering from "trajectory-drop" when the charge pressure starts to get a bit low, etc. I want consistency and accuracy, and a good number of consistent 12 ft.lb. shots-per-charge. Any advice on regulators?

3) SILENCING. I want either an integral silencer/moderator, or a good one available as an add-on, so that it is as near silent as possible.

4) SERVICING. Availability of spares, servicing and repairs in the UK. (I am in the Derby area).

5) SIZE and WEIGHT. Short size and moderate weight. I don't fancy hauling a Howitzer around. I would like a shorter/carbine model if possible, preferably with a walnut, thumb-hole stock. Lighter weights would be nice, but nothing flimsy or "tinny".

6) TOP QUALITY SCOPE. I need a low-light scope. My eye-sight is not too hot in low light conditions, so I would like a top-quality telescopic sight, with a large objective lens, anti-glare lens coatings, good zoom range, (illuminated reticule?), and graduated cross-hairs for estimating trajectory drop with range. This scope must be consistently accurate and robust, and can cope with crawling through fields, ditches and undergrowth in all British weathers. What are the quality brands and models to look for? Which ones should I avoid?

7 ) CALIBRE. A .177 or .22 ? I am intending to keep this rifle as a full-power, sub 12 ft. lb. model. (I intend to get an FAC later, and buy another good PNP that is tuned for FAC muzzle energies of 20+ ft. lbs). What would be the best calibre for a 12 ft. lb. (max.) rifle for the quarry I am after?

8) HUNTING PELLETS. What's your best recommendation for pellets for accuracy and energy-transfer for hunting for the rifle that you are recommending?

9) Cost. This is less important. I will save and pay extra for a quality rifle. I look after stuff, so it will be a long-term investment.

I have been browsing a few air/gunning forums, and have read a lot of positive references to AA S410, Rapid 7, Rapid 12, HW100, Daystate (?)and a few others. Does anyone have any opinions or comparisons to offer between these models, and any others of the same quality and performance?

Lastly, if this was to be a rifle that you would get as a Christmas present, (and you did not have to think about the cost ! ), what would you like it to be, and why?

Thanks in advance for any opinions, comparisons, or recommendations for a suitable rifle.

Regards,

Rob

Flippen 'ek...I could grow old(er) working through that lot....

Heres a start...

Thoeoben

Weirauch

Air Arms

In that order if money isn't an issue.....

Others will have thier own views and in the end it is down to what suits you rather than what anyone else says.

I run a Falcon FN19RS about 10 years old, not as good as any of the above but very accurate and does what I want!!

:rolleyes:

I think the S410K probably ticks most of your boxes, Rapid's and HW100's are great guns but longer and heavier than the AA.

If you feel it needs further shushing then the Weirauch moderator will do the trick.

Calibre wise in sub 12 I'd probably go .177, at the distances you'll shoot I feel it has enough knock down on rabbits and often works better on pigeons.

Scope is a tricky one, I have Hawke's and found they do a great job, both the Varmint II and the Endurance 30IR that I have work surprisingly well in low light but if you want to really tick all your boxes and you don't mind spending out, I'd look at Leupold.

The gun will choose the pellet but I'd stick to standard diabolo (domed) shape, AA Fields are probably a good place to start.

1) weihrauch hw100 karbine in sporter stock or thumbhole....your choice

side lever, 14 shot mag around 60 shots before topping up.

2) weihrauch hw100 has built reg so consistant shots

3) comes as standard with arguably the quietest silencer on the market...try it and others and see for yourself

4) Hull cartridge for servicing

5) comes with walnut stock as standard

6) I use a hawke 3-9x40 ao (parallax adjustable) set on 6x mag...perfect see utttings for prices. You really don't need anything else. Set of sports match 1" medium scope mounts.

7).177 all the way. Trajectory almost flat out to sensible airgun hunting ranges. ,22 huge parabolica, slower pellet. Look in all the sales forums, you will see its mostly .22's for sale. See this link

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=126972

8) Air arms diablo field. Experement with head sizes, but my weihrauchs prefer 4.52.

9) £750 give or take for the rifle, you will also need a bottle/pump for refilling...get a bottle..min 3litre 300bar

10) either all of the above or if santa was feeling a bit shorter in the wallet an Air arms s410 carbine with walnut stock. The HW100ks

1) weihrauch hw100 karbine in sporter stock or thumbhole....your choice

side lever, 14 shot mag around 60 shots before topping up.

2) weihrauch hw100 has built reg so consistant shots

Hehe, I forgot they did a carbine in the HW100, probably the front runner then if your pockets are deep.

Hi and welcome,firstly have you looked on AAOC (air arms owners club),you would get a lot of advise from very helpfull guys :rolleyes:

AA s410 k

10 shot mag

.177 ;) ,not so loopy as .22

fill to 180 and use down to 100 bar for consistant shots

AA or Winerack silencer

rws superfield/dome head pellets are more accurate and these are good,proven in the field

Scope,you do not need any more than x40 but could get 3-9x50 io Hawke, if you wanted low light,but better getting a decent lamp (deben)

buy from The air gun centre,life time warranty and free servicing etc

All the above kit will kill every thing you mentioned,i only shoot live quarry and i had AAS410,it never skipped a beat and i would have put it up against any 12flb air rifle,a brillaint bit of kit.

As for the rest of your queries i can not be bothered,so go and do some more reasearch like the rest of us,you lazy *** :yes:

ATB,Karl

Hi,

I have not hunted with an air rifle for over 20 years, but I now have opportunities to get back into it. The last time I hunted, I used a cheap and nasty break-barrel springer, but now I am after a good PNP. PNP's were new and expensive back then, and I have not kept abreast of new stuff. So, I am after opinions and recommendations (from regular hunters) about a good PNP air rifle suitable for hunting. The quarry is going to be rabbits, squirrel, woodpidgeon, crows and magpies, etc. Can anyone recommend a 12 ft.lb. PNP air rifle that fits this spec? :-

1) QUALITY. Well designed, well engineered, solidly built, reliable, multi-shot PNP (bolt action?/ semi-auto?/ magazine size?/ shots-per-charge?) Nothing cheap-and-nasty!

2) CONSISTENT ACCURACY. Consistent muzzle energy and superb accuracy. I have read about PNPs both with, and without, regulators; non-reg PNPs suffering from "trajectory-drop" when the charge pressure starts to get a bit low, etc. I want consistency and accuracy, and a good number of consistent 12 ft.lb. shots-per-charge. Any advice on regulators?

3) SILENCING. I want either an integral silencer/moderator, or a good one available as an add-on, so that it is as near silent as possible.

4) SERVICING. Availability of spares, servicing and repairs in the UK. (I am in the Derby area).

5) SIZE and WEIGHT. Short size and moderate weight. I don't fancy hauling a Howitzer around. I would like a shorter/carbine model if possible, preferably with a walnut, thumb-hole stock. Lighter weights would be nice, but nothing flimsy or "tinny".

6) TOP QUALITY SCOPE. I need a low-light scope. My eye-sight is not too hot in low light conditions, so I would like a top-quality telescopic sight, with a large objective lens, anti-glare lens coatings, good zoom range, (illuminated reticule?), and graduated cross-hairs for estimating trajectory drop with range. This scope must be consistently accurate and robust, and can cope with crawling through fields, ditches and undergrowth in all British weathers. What are the quality brands and models to look for? Which ones should I avoid?

7 ) CALIBRE. A .177 or .22 ? I am intending to keep this rifle as a full-power, sub 12 ft. lb. model. (I intend to get an FAC later, and buy another good PNP that is tuned for FAC muzzle energies of 20+ ft. lbs). What would be the best calibre for a 12 ft. lb. (max.) rifle for the quarry I am after?

8) HUNTING PELLETS. What's your best recommendation for pellets for accuracy and energy-transfer for hunting for the rifle that you are recommending?

9) Cost. This is less important. I will save and pay extra for a quality rifle. I look after stuff, so it will be a long-term investment.

I have been browsing a few air/gunning forums, and have read a lot of positive references to AA S410, Rapid 7, Rapid 12, HW100, Daystate (?)and a few others. Does anyone have any opinions or comparisons to offer between these models, and any others of the same quality and performance?

Lastly, if this was to be a rifle that you would get as a Christmas present, (and you did not have to think about the cost ! ), what would you like it to be, and why?

Thanks in advance for any opinions, comparisons, or recommendations for a suitable rifle.

Regards,

Rob

you mean pcp

To cut a long story short, :rolleyes:

Rifle = Air Arms S410k(the AAS410k is shorter and easier to manover through dense woodland and small buildings etc) Or S410 classic (go have a look and a feel at them in your local gun shop)- Fitted with Air Arms silencer - Hawk scope (again go have a look at them in the shop) Quality studs - Harris 9-13 sl bipod (A must have item on your hunting rifle) - and a good quality sling.

.177 or .22 People have debated over this for a lifetime, Either will do the job you want doing its swings and round abouts, the .177 has a flatter trajectory but you get less shots per fill, some will say the .22 has more hitting power, its your choice. I have allways had .22 but if I was buying a new AAS410 I would get a .177 just for a change. I have never had any problems with .22 and would buy another.

Pellets, As a chap said earlier, the rifle will choose that. in other words get a selection of the reccomended ones eg; Air Arms field, Accupels (my last AAS410 loved these) Powerpels, Bisley magnums, usually dome head pellets are most accurate. get a selection and some paper targets and experiment. stick with what suits the rifle best.

If I was in your situation and i had a spare grand burning a hole in my pocket this would be my shoping list.

1 x AAS410k .177 fitted with studs

1 x AA Silencer

1 x Harris 9-13'' swivel Bipod

1 x Hawk Nite Eye SR6 IR 3-12x50

1 x good quality sling

1 x good quality rifle bag

1 x pack of paper targets

1 x good selection of quality pellets

1 x 7ltr 300bar filling tank

You would have a very deadly -compact-accurate-light weight- reliable hunting set up.

Let us know how you get on ;)

Kipper

Edited by kipper

Weirauch HW100K gets a vote for me that ticks all your boxes.

You haven't stated a budget - but i'd maybe for for a 6x42 Schmidt & Bender scope, you can pick them up fairly cheaply second-hand and they'd be rather nice sat on top (help with your low light shooting no end).

.177 tends to be the most popular calibre as it's flatter shooting, if you can learn your holdover/under then .22 will give you a harder whack!

Hi,

Regards,

Rob

You really don't have to spend much to get good results. My second hand AAS400 carbine is kicking out 11.5ftlb's and shooting 1inch groups at 50 yards, no doubt further if i work on it and frankly i'm convinced i can get another 15 yards over that fine.

So for you the S410 shouldn't be a bad choice. Much less cost the the HW100(K), well balanced, in my opinion and experience just as accurate, just as reliable and a great, fun, stupidly accurate rifle.

To summarise:

Air Arms S410 carbine with a silencer, AA Field pellets + a bipod and decent quality scope and you'll be hunting with no problems. Personally i prefer .177 and just put the shot in the right place rather than relying on a .22 to do the hard work.

Hope this is at least SOME help.

All the best and keep us posted as to your decision,

Lewis

If you're a lazy hunter like me, get a .177 gun with a big tank, bipod, rangefinder, fixed 8x or 10x scope, and spend any change you have on a good quality range mat. Luxury! And an iPhone of course, so you can play Tetris while you're waiting for the rabbits to pop out in front of you.

If you're into prowling around stealthily, I think I'd go for .22 and get the best compromise between lightness and tank capacity, forget about the bipod and the rangefinder, get a variable-mag mildot scope which covers at least the 4-10x range, preferably with parallax adjustment, and good waterproof clothes.

And join an HFT club! Nothing better for improving your hunting, I reckon.

Save yourself some cash and buy a bsa ultra, fit it with a weirauch silencer, get a decent hawke scope,. Its a perfect hunting rifle-reliable, light and short, and bsa customer services is excellent, Ive had mine regulated so on a full charge i get around 90-110 shots

This seems to be going off on one a bit....do not discount the .22, it makes bigger holes, commonly imparts all its energy and is just as accurate as a .177, you just need to learn the trajectory, and you get more shots per charge on the whole.

People always confuse flatter trajectory with more accurate...flatter trajectory makes for a lazy shooter, I know all to well through my assortment of rimfires and centrefires.

The .177 also has a tendancy to over penetrate. I am not tring to re ignite the age old debate over calibre, which I never see being resolved, I'm just putting another side to the story!!

The .22 Air Rifle is just as accurate as a .177 air rifle! <_<