Shooting truisms

Colster

...while bored at work I came up with the following inescapable truths about hunting.

• Rabbits can dodge rangefinders.
  • Pigeons know when you don't have a gun.
  • Rabbits know when your mag is empty (even if you don't)
  • Whatever gun you have with you, a rabbit will not easily let you get within it's optimum range (I'm sure this would probably even apply to .338).
  • If a rabbit is sitting and letting you crawl towards it, it's because it knows you won't be able to see it when you go prone to take the shot, due to grass/mounds/thistles etc.
  • Rabbits shot with a sub 12 springer taste better than one's shot with an LR.
  • Pigeons don't care how much your gun/scope cost, on the right day they can still bounce pellets off their breastbone and fly off leaving you some feathers by way of an apology/final insult.
  • When stalking with a mate, your mate always moves less quietly than you... he's thinking the same thing about you.
  • .177 and .22 will both kill things.
  • Rabbits dig warrens near stinging nettles because they know you'll still stick your hand down there anyway and get a faceful.
  • The best opportunity of the night will usually present itself when you're walking back to your vehicle with an unloaded rifle.

Feel free to add your own. :good:

"When stalking with a mate, your mate always moves less quietly than you... he's thinking the same thing about you."

haha, so true.

you could also add:

"the minute you tell someone to walk a bit more quietly you will instantly step on a twig, sounding like an elephant"

Tins of pellets tip over only when you are in long grass.

If you Realtree cammo your gun you will never find it again if you put it down in the woods.

If your friend shows you pictures of his girlfriend you know he is going to die in the next scene

If your friend shows you pictures of his girlfriend you know he is going to die in the next scene

You only have seconds if he also shows you the picture of the boat he's going to retire on and sail around the world with his wife.

you'll always have the wrong weapon for the quarry you see - shotgun in hand, you'll come across a Muntjac, rifle in hand, you'll see plenty of birds.

if you get stuck in mud and have to abandon your vehicle for the night - it will be at the furthest point away from home/civilisation/road etc.

this one is especially true of me: the better shooting you are having, the more your wife will phone and demand you to be home! :good:

...while bored at work I came up with the following inescapable truths about hunting.

• Rabbits can dodge rangefinders.
  • Pigeons know when you don't have a gun.
  • Rabbits know when your mag is empty (even if you don't)
  • Whatever gun you have with you, a rabbit will not easily let you get within it's optimum range (I'm sure this would probably even apply to .338).
  • If a rabbit is sitting and letting you crawl towards it, it's because it knows you won't be able to see it when you go prone to take the shot, due to grass/mounds/thistles etc.
  • Rabbits shot with a sub 12 springer taste better than one's shot with an LR.
  • Pigeons don't care how much your gun/scope cost, on the right day they can still bounce pellets off their breastbone and fly off leaving you some feathers by way of an apology/final insult.
  • When stalking with a mate, your mate always moves less quietly than you... he's thinking the same thing about you.
  • .177 and .22 will both kill things.
  • Rabbits dig warrens near stinging nettles because they know you'll still stick your hand down there anyway and get a faceful.
  • The best opportunity of the night will usually present itself when you're walking back to your vehicle with an unloaded rifle.

Feel free to add your own. :oops:

very true, man your work must be boring lol :good:

You only have seconds if he also shows you the picture of the boat he's going to retire on and sail around the world with his wife.

And if he offers you a cigarette from a silver case, you know the case will divert the bullet with his name on it

And if he offers you a cigarette from a silver case, you know the case will divert the bullet with his name on it

OK, I'll bite... I have no idea what you two are on about.

Edited by Colster

Hello Colster,

You're an honest lad and I admire you for it.

Go to Google and type in 'Movie Cliches' . Explore and enjoy, then rejoin us confident and assured.

LOL

Bill

Ah, I thought you were referencing a particular show or film, like how Jack Bauer never needs food, drink or the toilet in 24

Anyways, this thread started because last week when I was out bunnying a truism occured to me, didn't write it down and when I came to write the ones in the original post I forgot the one that started it all.... been out tonight and it happened again and this time I remembered it

• In any given field, there will always be at least 5 thistles that at a distance look just like rabbits.

Edited by Colster

Ah, I thought you were referencing a particular show or film, like how Jack Bauer never needs food, drink or the toilet in 24

Anyways, this thread started because last week when I was out bunnying a truism occured to me, didn't write it down and when I came to write the ones in the original post I forgot the one that started it all.... been out tonight and it happened again and this time I remembered it

• In any given field, there will always be at least 5 thistles that at a distance look just like rabbits.

Yeah, same for me and I've done a 200 yard crawl for all of them!

Nice topic. Thanks

Bill

"When stalking with a mate, your mate always moves less quietly than you... he's thinking the same thing about you."

haha, so true.

you could also add:

"the minute you tell someone to walk a bit more quietly you will instantly step on a twig, sounding like an elephant"

I would find the only stick in a desert!

you'll always have the wrong weapon for the quarry you see - shotgun in hand, you'll come across a Muntjac, rifle in hand, you'll see plenty of birds.

if you get stuck in mud and have to abandon your vehicle for the night - it will be at the furthest point away from home/civilisation/road etc.

this one is especially true of me: the better shooting you are having, the more your wife will phone and demand you to be home! ;)

ive just got a sick feeling in the pit of stomach reading that. like ive done something wrong and should feel guilt. :good: the worst ******* night of my life. :hmm:

:hmm: few more ive found

when you sit down to have a smoke, something will appear

the day you decide not to bother taking the game bag is the the day you really need it

there is no such thing as having too much ammunition with you

the time youre lining up the perfect shot will be the time your mate arrives in the car with speakers blaring and the wheels spinning

and the final one

when the farmer says he's over run with crows/rabbits, etc, sometimes he IS actually telling the truth :good:

:hmm: few more ive found

when you sit down to have a smoke, something will appear

the day you decide not to bother taking the game bag is the the day you really need it

there is no such thing as having too much ammunition with you

the time youre lining up the perfect shot will be the time your mate arrives in the car with speakers blaring and the wheels spinning

and the final one

when the farmer says he's over run with crows/rabbits, etc, sometimes he IS actually telling the truth :good:

So true, although for me - the time you're lining up the perfect shot will be the time your mate "accidently" presses the call button on the walkie talkie or missus will phone/text

Edited by Colster

So true, although for me - the time you're lining up the perfect shot will be the time your mate "accidently" presses the call button on the walkie talkie or missus will phone/text

i keep the mobile on vibrate and im usually in an area with very bad signal.... ;):lol:

still doesnt prevent certain eejits with shotguns "not hearing" you telling them to stop walking :good: when you spot half a dozen rabbits at 100 yards whilst carrying the hmr, subsequent result being said eejits watching half a dozen rabbits jumping down burrows 60 odd yards in front of them, then turning round and saying "whyd you not take a shot?" :hmm::D

Guest topshot_2k

Feel free to add your own. :lol:

:hmm:;) Spot on :good:

• 8 years later...