Which Long Range Fox Cal?

Hunter Gatherer

Which caliber is best for long range?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which caliber is best for long range?

• .204 Ruger
    • .22 PPC
    • .223 Remington
    • .22-250
    • .220 Swift

Once again i need the help of experienced shooters on here!

I am trying to decide what caliber to put on my variation and i cant decide!

The cartrige must have exellent accuracy potential (it will be for target use as well), have the power to cleanly kill foxes out to 300 yds and be reasonably flat shooting.

I am not too bothered about wind bucking but that would be a welcome feature.

The only problem is that the caliber must be .22 or smaller due to firearms department regulations.

Thanks alot

HG

;)

Edited by Hunter Gatherer

Geeze HG ;)

I don't know what your experience is with Foxes but as as been said already 300+ yds is a long way.

I have .223 but i voted for 22/250 but this would not be my choice of gun because in reality most fox shooting is easily carried out well within 200yds .

If your call is good enough they 'll come running towards you at night ......They normally only become streetwise after a failed attempt against shooting them .

I always say there are plenty of 22/250s in the second hand market but not .223s

for some reason.

Also you need to consider the consistancy of factory ammo for those ranges as well. :lol:

Please don't take this as me trying to teach you how to suck eggs mate

Ive

I voted for the .22-250 too, only because you said you will be shooting at those distances. :lol:

If your under 300yds, then the .223 will be a far better round with plenty of ammo to choose from. ;) Plus its cheap as chips to feed with factory fodder and reload for. :lol:

Ive

Dont worry ive,

its just that i would like the option of stretching out the range a bit as i am quite often called in to remove a fox that hase become call and lamp shy and they just bolt off in the other direction if i start to call, i dont expect to have to take foxes regularly at that sort of range but i would like to be able to if the situation appeared (e.g. bipod, rear rest, known range/bullet drop).

Ive

Dont worry ive,

its just that i would like the option of stretching out the range a bit as i am quite often called in to remove a fox that hase become call and lamp shy and they just bolt off in the other direction if i start to call, i dont expect to have to take foxes regularly at that sort of range but i would like to be able to if the situation appeared (e.g. bipod, rear rest, known range/bullet drop).

22/250 it is then.

Ultra high velocity rds like this wear harder on the rifling though ...........Something to consider when buying second hand .

I have no data on this calibre but on a .223 with a 200yd zero it'd be 1.5" high at 100 yds and 7" low at 300yds of which there would be 575 ft lbs left travelling around 2172FPS

Ive ;)

I see what you mean. Then the .22-250 would be the best option. :lol:

One more thing, stay away from the .204 if you can, ammo is expensive and in limeted supply. I had this caliber for 6 months before switching to the .223 and all i got was heart ache, trying to get the thing to shoot accurately. ;)

Now that i have the .223, i will never look back. :lol:

Good luck with what ever you get at the end. :lol:

Edited by Frank

I always say there are plenty of 22/250s in the second hand market but not .223s

for some reason.

Barrel life is an issue with .22-250s. It is a 7.62 round necked down to .22 - so it is a really hot round (not literally). Unless you can get an exeptional example and know something reliable about the use it has had they are not worth touching secondhand. If this is the calibre you choose get a new one.

B

If it is accuracy that you want, and it's the first shot that counts remember, then the .22PPC seems to be the one to choose, from what is written about it in bench-rest circles.

I don't know of anybody with one, or how much the ammo would cost.

http://www.btinternet.com/~stephen.rattley...ecaldescrip.htm

Edited by rjimmer

If it is accuracy that you want, and it's the first shot that counts remember, then the .22PPC seems to be the one to choose, from what is written about it in bench-rest circles.

I don't know of anybody with one, or how much the ammo would cost.

I had thought about this but it seems that ammo supply is restricted and expensive, whereas the .223 is still a respected target caliber and the ammo and components are readily available.

thanks

HG

:)

hunter gatherer,,you say you have 1 slot on your fac for .22 and mod... i was told today i would have to give up 1 slot if i wanted a mod for my .22...i did'nt realise each mod is classed as 1 slot on my fac :) maybe i should have known but no one told me when i applied...its just a thought ..did'nt want you to be as p***ed off as me when you find out :P

hunter gatherer,,you say you have 1 slot on your fac for .22 and mod... i was told today i would have to give up 1 slot if i wanted a mod for my .22...i did'nt realise each mod is classed as 1 slot on my fac :) maybe i should have known but no one told me when i applied...its just a thought ..did'nt want you to be as p***ed off as me when you find out :P

so have you filled all your currant slots?.

hunter gatherer,,you say you have 1 slot on your fac for .22 and mod... i was told today i would have to give up 1 slot if i wanted a mod for my .22...i did'nt realise each mod is classed as 1 slot on my fac  :P  maybe i should have known but no one told me when i applied...its just a thought ..did'nt want you to be as p***ed off as me when you find out  :lol:

so have you filled all your currant slots?.

No, i have one spare slot for a .22 rimfire and one slot for a moderator.

:)

Edited by Hunter Gatherer