Gun shoots low and left

Browning

Here's one for the experienced among you.

A pal of mine has transferred a shotgun (682 with adj stock) onto my cert while he goes overseas for a couple of years. I took it out and patterned it this morning to see how it performed.

This is the only gun that's never shot straight for me "out of the box", but he does have the adj stock set at a funny angle.

The gun is shooting very low and a little left at 40 yards. I should be able to move it to suit me......but.......which way should I move it ?

Am I correct in moving it up and right ?

Browning,

If it shoots low, presumably you can't see any rib..??

In which case you want to raise the comb up until you can see a dead flat rib, and re-pattern it to see where it now shoots.

Once you've got the comb height right, you can then alter the pitch slightly to the left, not the right, which should correct it.

The only way to get it right is by trial and error on the pattern plate at 25 yards with a tight choke.

You haven't mentioned whether it's a Sporter or a Trap model, if its a Trap model and you intend to shoot trap with it, then a dead flat rib may not be right, and you may want to raise it up a bit more so that it shoots a bit higher.

Catamong.

Browning,

If it shoots low, presumably you can't see any rib..??

In which case you want to raise the comb up until you can see a dead flat rib, and re-pattern it to see where it now shoots.

this is were your wrong you should not see a flat rib or just the pip ?? you should see all the barrel, this is what im told by the gun smith at doveridge and by other in the know who have been shooting for years and know what they are on about ,get a one pound coin and place it on the barrel at the leaver end of the barrel you should see a bit of the pip when the gun is monted if not the gun does not fit you ..so any of you whos gun is not like this your gun does not fit you right ,yes i no you can shoot it but you will shoot it better if it fits you like this, mine does and i shoot it well

i went to kegworth the other day .as i dont shoot clays any more and i was down as a AA shooter :) you can stick the cpsa up were the sun dont shine as i aint paying £30 to shoot 100 birds when i can shoot real birds for **** all ;) AAA is a very good score to have so you must be a good shot :lol: but have you ever shot a crow at 110 paces :lol:

this is were your wrong you should not see a flat rib or just the pip ?? you should see all the barrel, this is what im told by the gun smith at doveridge and by other in the know who have been shooting for years and know what they are on about ,get a one pound coin and place it on the barrel at the leaver end of the barrel you should see a bit of the pip when the gun is monted if not the gun does not fit you ..so any of you whos gun is not like this your gun does not fit you right ,yes i no you can shoot it but you will shoot it better if it fits you like this, mine does and i shoot it well

I think the size of your head has some effect on what you can and can't see, when you mount your gun. :)

now look here girls :) im only telling you what iv been told by a pro not some body of the street ,even the coach at doveridge says the same and im only trying to help you, who have a gun that dont fit you right so if you want to carry on shooting with a gun that dont fit you right,you carry on i dont care :lol: ,you just make me look better :lol: gun fit is the number one thing to get right when buying a gun as if it dont fit you right you will never get the full benifit from it ,i wounder how many guys on here and else were that have a gun that dont fit them right and thats the course why they shoot so bad but dont know it ;)

Edited by ROB REYNOLDS UK

Just thought I had to add my wee bit. For 29 yrs I was a point and shoot type of guy, flat rip, just the view nail in sight. In the good old days I shot ok. I have been told just this spring that i would be shoot over birds to hit them, putting them out of sight. I was. I now see some rip, the £1 job, thing. I have found this better for shooting crows. So that me. Must go the dinner ready :)

I like to see a little bit of rib, when the gun is mounted, but I don`t really see the barrel when I`m actually shooting. :lol:

RRUK shoots really well with his head up his ****, so perhaps we`re all wrong?? :) Do you see the sphincter Rob??

Edit: Missed the S off shoots!!

Edited by invector

Just to stir it: My gun dealer has several clay ranges at his shop. I watched him shoot skeet one day. The butt never left his side; litterally. He was shooting from his side. He never missed an incoming or outgoing bird.

So he not only saw the rib, he could see the whole gun :lol:;):) :*) :lol:

So you were saying... :lol:

It must depend on the gun, My average at clays with my Winchester Select is about 70-75. Yet with my Berretta Extrema that will come down to about 50%. Most will be missed over the top.

I see the same ammount of rib on both guns. The berretta rib has more slope from stock to muzzle so it naturrally shoots higher.

Cheers

MC

I like to see a little bit of rib, when the gun is mounted, but I don`t really see the barrel when I`m actually shooting. :lol:

RRUK shoots really well with his head up his ****, so perhaps we`re all wrong?? :lol: Do you see the sphincter Rob??

Edit: Missed the S off shoots!!

invector even with my head up my **** i can out shoot you :rolleyes: :thumbs: iv forgot more about guns than you will ever know, *** :lol: invector what makes you and catmong the big men on guns ?? you seem to think you two are the only ones that know any thing about them ,tell me whys that ,becouse im **** if i know why ..are you in the trade ?? no ...you know **** all then ;);) catmong how can any body shooting 3,000 clays a year and says he is in AAA class get the time to shoot real pigeons :lol: when i was shooting comp i know you have to go three times a week i know i did wednesday night saturday and comp on sunday ...so when do you go pigeon shooting :lol:

the boil :rolleyes: im as cool as ice :lol: i am the ice man :thumbs: you two make me laff you know more than the BASC and all the BASC coaches put to gether and a full time gunsmith ;) ,well you think you do ,you can sit behind you puter and type what you wont but you only make your self look more dafter than you are ;) i bet there a few out there laffing at you two who think you know it all ,you do know it all, **** all :lol: how many guns have you adjusted so it fits the person just right ..none is your anwser :lol: the gun smith has done that many i bet he has lost count :lol: are any of you two a full time coach..no is your anwser :lol: so what gives you the right to take the **** out them coachs, when them coachs with out a dought no more than you and thats a fact :lol: i will ring BASC and tell them they have it all wrong :lol: its got to be if you two say its right ....bring it on baby :lol::lol:

RRUK,

I was in shooting form when you were in liquid form!! :rolleyes:

you must be a very old man then :lol: i bet your that old you cant get it up :thumbs: ;) silly old man ..shot meny pigeons with your walking stick :lol: ,give me any more lip and i will let your wheel chair tyres down ;):lol: and you know what that means ,it means your house bound again :lol:

Edited by ROB REYNOLDS UK

To everyone on this forum, I really must apologise for starting this thread.

Is it any wonder that many of the "old stagers", lads that used to create good friendly shooting banter, and pass on their knowledge in a friendly manner, now

no longer frequent the forum.

I often ask myself whatever happened to the likes of YP, Red Stag, Mr Pieman, Tiercel, Mad Springer, Elma Fud, Old Rooster and lots of others.......

Well after reading through the utter bo**ocks that this thread has turned into I need wonder no more.