Swathed rape.

Cranfield

I recce'd some swathed rape yesterday afternoon and there were enough pigeons dropping in to make it look interesting, so I went back this morning.

Unfortunately, the weather changed overnight and there are strong gale force winds blowing this morning with 50 mph+ gusts.

The fields are very open and the swathed rape is almost behaving like tumbleweed.

The few birds I saw could hardly stay in the air and were soon off looking for somewhere more sheltered.

One thing I did forget this morning was to put my wellingtons in the truck.

Walking through swathed rape with only ankle boots on really gives your legs a good scratching.

I am sitting here spreading Savlon on the worst areas. <_<

Had the rape swathed round our way a wk, one field was half done so set up in the rape what was still

standing made a hide what looked more like an tent out of tree branches and rape, shot 30 then the

rain set in on monday, went back next day and shot around 40 before it rained again! just been back

all the field has been swathed, so ive set up in middle now built me hide out of sheep netting and hazel

sticks and covered the lot in rape, farmer doesnt mind, left an hr ago saw loads passing over it without

any flinching, going to attack at dawn and stay the day, must have been 200 birds on this afternoon.

regards bob.

Me and dad shot over swathed rape last saturday and in 5 hours we shot 311 pigeons and 2 crows and yesterday when we got to the farm the field we shot had been harvested and we set up at 11am and packed up at 6pm with a total bag of 431 pigeons.

Not bad for 2 days shooting on the same field Total bag = 742 pigeons

Me and dad shot over swathed rape last saturday and in 5 hours we shot 311 pigeons and 2 crows and yesterday when we got to the farm the field we shot had been harvested and we set up at 11am and packed up at 6pm with a total bag of 431 pigeons.

Any pictures of that amazing 311 and 431 or is that old nutshell I left my camera at home.

As you normally post pictures of your days.

Kind regards OTH

Edited by Over the hill

Did a modest 70 odd other day was a full day friday the wind was great blowing hard,

if i didnt have me dogs i would have lost loads really hard to find, had to look after half

a dozen or so, been out feeding duck pond this morning and it looks like they have drafted

in reserves so im off again in the morning, lucky im on nghts!!!.

regards bob.

I am not saying that but it seems odd that one of the serial photo posters has not taken any snaps of such good bags or even reported it .

We will see and I do hope that they enjoyed a good couple of days.

OTH

Picture to come soon mate, I just have not had the time to get on here much now that harvest has started.

But they will be on asap

Well done mate thats some going !

Ive not had such a good do on the swath this week end ,yesterday i shared a bag of 24 with stu and barney were the birds came for the first few hours then switched off hope the reture for next weekend , today i setup on a small field and shot 18 then moved to another and had 14 ,lots about just would not decoy for some reason :lol:

Nice! Not too many pigeons got wiped out by the harsh winter where you are, then!

You always make me envious - you've got some good shooting over there!

Well done.

Steve

Nice! Not too many pigeons got wiped out by the harsh winter where you are, then!

We did not seem to loose any to the bad winter we had, quite a few had alot of fat on the all winter and we are finding quite a few now that have got alot of fat on them which we dont normally have at this time of year

how come you dont shoot the farms you work on,

the main reason is because it is game land and my boss does not really allow anyone to shoot the land because of trouble with shooter annoying the locals so he only allows the game shooters to shoot the land unless we are desperate to protect the crops and then he lets me organise a couple of days shooting for other guns and I might join them if I am not working.

i wouldnt be envious steve ,i shot 404 on my own on rape stubble 3yrs ago and i felt rouigh as a dog by the finish,non stop shooting allday.wouldnt do it again.

the only trouble I had was an aching shoulder for a couple of days but I cured that by using my auto this time and had no problems

Well done mate thats some going !

Ive not had such a good do on the swath this week end ,yesterday i shared a bag of 24 with stu and barney were the birds came for the first few hours then switched off hope the reture for next weekend , today i setup on a small field and shot 18 then moved to another and had 14 ,lots about just would not decoy for some reason :good:

Your right tom there is a few birds about at min but they don't seam bothered

about decoys much shot about 30 days in last 6 weeks not had bags bigger than 40 .

Hopefully things will get better soon as we get sum stubble to shoot on