Saturday morning fox

welsh1

Woke up a six,and decided to go for a mooch with the dog.

Decided to take the hmr and drove to one of my permissions,loaded up and set off for a scout round the fields,within a couple of minutes i spotted bugs in the hedge,about 80 yds away,sat down with bipod fully extended and watched bugs do a back flip,Jake went to retrive and dropped it by my feet,a young one and a head shot.

Carried on around the fields,and saw a fox,but he was very quick to make himself scarce,then spotted a rabbit about 120 yds,down on my belly,lined up a shoulder and down he went,Jake as usual was off like a rocket,i thought he would miss it and have to quarter to find it,but he ran straight on to it,and straight back to me,saves a walk :rolleyes:

As i was walking back to the van,i saw a jeep come into the field,i know i'm the only shooter allowed on the land,so i watched it go round the field and eventually it stopped by me,turns out it is the owner of my largest permission,which is a free range chicken farm(always loads of foxes),he is now renting the land and there will soon be chickens in it,that means that foxy will follow :blink:

Then i popped down to old man ted's farm(small holding) his wife has lost most of her chickens due to foxes,and i haven't been seeing them in the evening,popped into the first field,and as i was creeping over the crest of the field to get a rabbit in the dip,i noticed a fox sitting in the rough grass with his back to me,wind blowing into my face,pointed for jake to sit,and took a kneeling shot as i could only see his head,distance was about 30 yds,pulled the trigger and it slumped forward,went over,and he never knew it was coming.

It was a dog,but was in a bad state,no fur on his belly or back,and a pitiful tail, i think he has been having most of the chickens,as they have been an easy meal,one less to worry about.

Had a quick scout round another field and got another rabbit,then was home for 08:30,Jake got an egg,and i got to clean the rifle :yes:

Shot with cz 17hmr 17gr hornady blue tips(yes fox is on my ticket)

jakefoxtedsfarm.jpg

Well done mate - good write up.

You have a very well behaved dog there!

Don't let the picture fool you,Jake is plotting to take over the world. :blink:

He is a very good dog,he does have little glitches now and then,but he is only 2 so i'm not worried,he is going to be spot on. :rolleyes:

Thank you for sharing that trip - chickens are a bit of a draw for foxes - an ongoing job there

cheers

AndyCM

It is an ongoing job,last year my shooting partner DaveP3@ and myself shot about 45 foxes in a 4 month period,the land owner had done over 100 in the year.with thousands of free range chickens,its like mcdonalds for foxes.

Dave has done a couple of good write ups search for" pembrokeshire foxing",he has a very nice foxing set up.

There is no such thing as a well behaved dog, there is however such a thing as a well trained dog :yes:

Cheers adam,but i think we are at that stage where jake is subliminally training me :blink:

And when i miss a shot,the look he gives me :rolleyes:

Cheers adam,but i think we are at that stage where jake is subliminally training me :yes:

And when i miss a shot,the look he gives me :good:

I know what u mean mate , every time i pull the trigger my dogs think some thing is going to fall out of the sky ... Not lol

anyway a good read and good shooting :yes::yes: