What Sat Nav

jonno 357

In 2006 I will be in the market for a Sat Nav system for the car. I know absolutley **** hall about any of the systems. So before I listen to the blah blah from the sales reps. I would like to know if any of you lot have a system and what would you recommend in the £350 region

Thanks

Jonno

around june i got the entry level tom tom and i have to say it's been most usefull, also i download the latest speed camera databases that are put up for free on the net, a doddle to put onto the tom tom, and away i go, it's helpfull to have beeps when near known speed cameras / mobile sites just to ensure you keep and eye on speed

as far as navigation goes it's pretty much spot on, however there have been a couple of roundabouts ive been on where it's got the map right but the number of exit's wrong

hope this helps

We have an HP PDA with a GPS cradle at work and they are SH*TE, we had four of them before we got one which would work.

One of my colleagues has a NAVMAN and they are very good, TOM TOM's are also good. (if a little pricey)

Cheers

MC

I've got the Tomtom 300 which is the one with just the UK Map in.

Its got a Bluetooth connection but only for access to extra paid bits like traffic weather and cameras.

Good points, It gets you to where your going by the most direct route and you don't have to keep pulling over to look at maps or shine torches at roadsigns. Which is pretty handy if your trying to get to some wood down some country lane in the dark to get in position to shoot something before dawn.

Screen has a night setting so it doesn't dazzle you and light you up for the foxes and bunnies as you arrive.

Bad points, it gets its knickers in a twist at the M20/M2 and around the back of Reading where the words it says don't match up to the map it shows and you have to follow the map cos if you take "go straight over the roundabout as gospel" you end up on the wrong road.

Unlike the Missus, it doesn't get stressed and edgy if you ignore it and take another route. Unlike the Missus, it goes quiet for a bit but then it figures out another route and sings out like a good un :rolleyes:

Its a good piece of kit if you regularly go to strange places and I've quickly come to rely on it.

At the risk of sounding like a Luddite you could always learn to read a map ?  Available at all good newsagents and most service stations for around £5, think of the cartridges you could buy with the money you save !!! :rolleyes:  :thumbs:

The practicality of sat nav out weighs costs ? IMHO

A £5 map won’t tell you a speed camera’s location

Think of the carts I could buy if I didn’t drink, gamble and drive a fuel guzzling 3.2 litre Shogun

Jonno

Edited by jonno 357

Sat Nav is a must in my opinion. It takes the pain out of driving and you never have to pull over and ask for directions. Though it isnt infalable (sp?), it has taken me places that are almost un-navigable or dont exist. Fine for those in 4x4's but my V70 and its 225x45 17's, doesnt like the mud!!!

Either way though, it really does out way a map any day. Take a wrong turn and it corrects your route and get6s you back on track. It also help you detour traffic problems and will also show you a better route to ones that you thought were the best for years. Telling you how long its going to take and finding utilities in an area you don't know, I cant see how I ever managed without it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Axe

A £5 map won’t tell you  a speed camera’s location

Is there a Sat Nav that tells you where the ******** are hiding in the camera vans then ? :rolleyes:

Don't we have enough distracting in car entertainment already without plonking a bleedin great TV screen on the dashboard ?.

I have to admit to using one bit of modern(ish) technology to find places, often check out the destination using Multimap before setting off.

Spose I'm too old to change, that said if you give me an address anywhere in the world I'll drive you to it. Regularly do long trips on the continent on the bikes and only ever take maps for navigation.

Edited by old rooster

quote Nidles

Good points, It gets you to where your going by the most direct route and you don't have to keep pulling over to look at maps or shine torches at roadsigns. Which is pretty handy if your trying to get to some wood down some country lane in the dark to get in position to shoot something before dawn.

One question mate does this just work of postcodes or can you put in map references like we get with the NPPC.

And we use landranger maps.

I've got tom tom loaded on my PDA with the cradle for the receiver etc. I think that you can use map references although I havn't tried it. You can certainly get your exact GPS location in that format from it.

I got the PDA version when PC World had a special on it so was no more pricey than the stand alone unit.

There are a few drawbacks with it - Post Codes are only 4 digit so not a way of finding a location. However if you have the street & house number it will take you there.

It sometimes get's a bit confused & set it's position sone way off to one side & issue odd instructions like trun right in the middle of the motorway!

It seems to have a bias for motorways over smaller roads - at a guess it's going for the quickest route rather than the shortest.

When going from A to B & back to A it has a habit of going a different way on the return journey!

My GF is convinced the female version has no idea where it's going & insists we use the male voice!

"One question mate does this just work of postcodes or can you put in map references like we get with the NPPC.

And we use landranger maps."

It likes postcodes. It might be able to do OS references but I haven't tried it.

Sometimes the little ******* is a little too picky and if someone says, I'll meet you at the 7-11 in the main street at 0530, it starts demanding a number and has a little hissy fit.

My solution is to select any number and just drive up and down when I get there.

You don't get pulled over by the Old Bill so often cos you don't get lost and you aren't forever pulling over to look at maps by the glovebox light.

Its funny how ha car going past dont wake anyone but an idling engine sets the dogs going.

There is a Tomtom website like this where clever people in cardigans can tell you how to make it sing and dance if you ask. :)

I use a "tomtom 500" and in my opinion it is invaluable.

the amount of time and fuel it has saved me out weighs the cost many times over,

I also use it as a hands free phone kit,

you can choose to navigate to an address, a full post code, the centre of an area, or pick out points of interest (hotel, resturant, stadium, petrol station, etc)

you can get the full download of "safety" cameras, update maps and if you fancy it get Celebrity voices.

also if you are in an area you are not familiar with you can ask it to find the closest petrol station, resturant (Mc Donalds) etc.

a friend of mine has a "Nav Man" and the TomTom knocks spots off it. x :)