Killing grey squirrels man is fined £1500

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently set up a Facebook page.

Josephine's Action against All Animal Cruelty And Abuse, I want to make a difference, however small, so go and search for it and leave messages, and let me know what has been going on in your are and, what is being done about it, if I think I can step in, I will, i'll put animals first before some rotten "humans" or should that be morons I know.

Anyone joining up? lol

Assumed they were vermin !

Obviously someone saw it drowning and thought it was a bit cruel.

I would of thought a pellet would of been more humane.

Agree, but I would put money on it that he told someone of the day he caught a squirrel.

I use cage traps and they are very effective in what they are made to do.Obviously they are purposley made to capture Its only when you catch something ,you have the task of releasing it or despatching it,However trying to handle a wild Squirrel in order to despatch it is not a task I would do.

1. you can shoot it

2. you can take it to a vet and they will charge you £70 :good:

3.Drown it and now get fined £1500

or leave them for the RSPCA to deal with ,it will cost them lots of money beacause once trapped its against the law to release it

Edited by jonevo

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 + amendments covers/protects ALL wildlife unless specifically listed in one or other of the General Licennces AND then it lays down rules/laws as to how and with what certain animals/birds may be killed. Nowhere does it say you can kill ANY animal by drowning it. I guess it was this act that the chap was prosecuted under.

IMO he's gotta be a bit of a numpty to even consider handling a wild squirrel.

now we enter another dimension of a safe killing practice,were does this leave ferreters ,once a rabbit is caught in the net or by the teeth of your ferret ,you hold it and despatch it to kill it using your hands,

do the RSPCA want you to take it to a vet :good:?

are we going to be fined for cruelty

I think Jonevo has a good point. It is all down to different interpretations, and any lawyer can twist an interpretation to mean something completely different. As mentioned previously it is breaking the law to release a squirrel once caught, it is not indiginous to the UK. Lawers will start twisting against or forms of despatching. I think we should all start trapping squirrels and start taking them to the RSPCA. Poor bloke he was doing the environment a favor, rotton tree rats

Monty Python's Mouse Organ:

Yes poor bloke BUT ignorance of the law never has been a good defence. Drowning can never be a good option as it takes time, anything that's quick is also best.

The RSPCA will use these breeches of the legal position at every opportunity to try and stop us enjoying fieldsports. It doesn't matter how much of cat loving grannies money they waste doing it in their eyes they are at war with us so it's time we and the likes of BASC fought back! Although I appreciate not in this instance as the guy clearly wasn't taking part in 'fieldsports' :good:

Totally shocked/saddened at this!! I'm sorry but drowing is not a kind or quick way, particuarlly in comparison to a bullett!

I'm squeamish and hate things like this, but even I know that a rifle would have been the far kinder option and it is really a cruel way that he chose, no animal...pest or not....deserves to die in that way! :good::good:

I understand what was said about the cost of lethal injection, but he should have done nothing if he did not have the means to dispatch the animal humanely and quickly. If no licence thus no gun, he should have called in someone who could deal with it, not made a death bath for the poor thing, that is inexcuseable and I agree with the prosecution, I don't care who disagrees with me!!

I assumed he just lowered the cage into a water butt with the grey still in.

I thought drowning was the usual technique for dealing with mink when trapped, why the difference with a squirrel?

Could a trapped animal in a cage be dispatched with CO2 or N2 without falling foul of the regulations as CO2 is used to dispatch unwanted hen chicks?

Surely shooting an animal in a cage has its own safety & animal stress implications?

Mt personal opinion is he was wrong to drown it...

A) the squirrel would be agitated by seeing the person pick up the trap

B ) It would be terrified as it was lowered into the water

The guy is a nugget and deserved the fine IMO, I'm no expert on Squirrel trapping but there has to be a faster more humane way.

I am all for our sport but do not like animal cruelty one bit, it would also depend on the context i.e.- "everybody come here and watch as I drown a squirrel" or "I wonder if drowning would be a kinder dispatch for this squirell"

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1