Killing grey squirrels man is fined £1500

I used to catch quite a lot of squirrels and used the air rifle to dispatch humanely,saying that i did used to let the odd one loose in the garage to give the terriers a treat,they wrecked the place pursuing them.

Heck man!!!!

You will be lucky to get away with a £1500 fine for doing tricks like that, more likely a nice 3 month stretch at her majesty'e pleasure!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, Taken from the British Pest Control Association pest management manual. The Wild Mamals (Protection) Act 1996. It is an offence to: Mutilate, Kick, Beat, Impale, Stab, Burn, Stone, Crush, DROWN, Drag or Asphyxiate any wild animal with intent to inflict unnecessary suffering. Exceptions allow pest control, shooting and hunting to be carried out providing that the animal is killed swiftly. This eliminates drowning as a means of dispatching trapped animals. I guess this is why they procecuted him. As an aside it is an offence to release a traped grey squirrel back into the wild. Hope this puts a bit more light on the thread.

Where does this leave snaring? :blink:

What's snaring got to do with killing animals.

Snares are merely a live trap device that catches it's target species. Legal snares are designed not to kill.

There are plenty of images around where things however well intended have not gone to plan....

The man in the article from OP had intended to kill the squirrel in what He believed was a humane way at the time but intention is not much defence in a court. I am sure the fella has a different opinion of what is humane now!

The man appears to be an urbanite, I am sure he would not have had access to a gun with which to dispatch the animal eliminating to him what would have been a pretty obvious method of dispatch to all on here.

If the guy had decided to put the squirrel in a sack, hit it with a spade to kill it, do you think the person who had seen the original incident would not have reported it in the second case, setting the same series of events in action?

The worrying thing is the man pleaded guilty to the charge, so a new legal precedent has been put in place without so much as a discussion or debate, never mind legal argument!!

It is obvious from this topic people have different tolerance levels to what is right & wrong with regards to animal welfare in just this small sphere.

Just think of the differences across the full section of society! If you asked a number of people shopping in Meadowhall, Riverside or wherever shopping complex they may well have a very different opinion as to it being right or wrong to go out into the countryside shooting pigeons, game or wildfowl to us!

I just hope it is not them sitting in the jury when the next test case comes up....

I am not trying to wind anybody up or tread on anybody's toes I just think this was a close call.

luvbuds

I don't really understand the point you are trying to make.

You asked "where does this leave snaring", I answered your question.

The Wild Mammals Protection Act details the law and various "best practice" documents detail how to implement it. It does not matter what Mrs Fluffy Rabbit who shops in Riverside thinks, what matters is that the chap broke the law and he suffered the consequences.

I think that what gets up peoples noses is that the RSPCA, instead of reprimanding the chap and giving him a warning actually took him to court and then sought substantial costs thus proving yet again the slippery path they are following.

Personally I think drowning a cruel and abhorrent way to put an animal down but I certainly do not think the chap should have been taken to court over the matter. Far better to educate Mr Urbanite then to prosecute him.

This is outrageous.

The squirrel has to be held accountable here, it should have learned to swim.

Most sports centers and public baths give lessons.

In my day we even had public information films........................."Learn to swim young man, learn to swim"

Edited by MITCHF

Snares are merely a live trap device that catches it's target species. Legal snares are designed not to kill.

what do you think happnes after the little fluff ball after it gets snared? surely any animal that youd want to snare you wouldnt want to do anything else apart from kill? am i wrong? cant think of an animal youd want to snare and keep as a pet or just let go again? what are the other options?

As far as I know there are Two legal methods of dispatch for trapped Grey Squirrels!

1) Cranial dispatch where the animal is placed in a hessien sack with your foot over the open end. When the squirrel is in the corner of the sack you are allowed by law TWO strikes with a priest to kill it, any more than this you are guilty of beating an animal to death under the wildlife and countryside act. I personally find this method brabaric and refuse to use it as it causes the animal alot of stress.

2) Shooting at point blank range. If done correctly with the use of a trapping comb to confine the animal at one end of the trap then an acurate single shot to the back of the head between the ears kills instantly and keeps the stress to a minimum.

I have found the perfect tool for this is a crossman CO2 .22 pistol with the sights removed. It is quiet,quick and very effective.

Easy to give this guy a hard time but one word springs to mind IGNORANCE, he may have genuinely thought this was the most humane. He may have heard poor advice off a third party (mate, etc). I have heard drowning mentioned plenty of times with live catch traps, often in the company of people who have no practical experience of these matters with the comment of "don't want to touch those nasty *******". Over the top reaction going to court with this a warning should have been sufficient, fully agree that drowning animals is unacceptable, the person is a fool for doing this but may be misguided rather than deliberately cruel.

Easy to give this guy a hard time but one word springs to mind IGNORANCE, he may have genuinely thought this was the most humane. He may have heard poor advice off a third party (mate, etc). I have heard drowning mentioned plenty of times with live catch traps, often in the company of people who have no practical experience of these matters with the comment of "don't want to touch those nasty *******". Over the top reaction going to court with this a warning should have been sufficient, fully agree that drowning animals is unacceptable, the person is a fool for doing this but may be misguided rather than deliberately cruel.

Yes! I agree that is easy to give someone a hard time on these sites, but the fact remains! He should not have done what he has done.

ANYONE Who live traps an animal for the purpose of killing it, should already know in their own mind, how they are going to deal with what they have caught. It would seem that this poor chap has got himself a cage trap, caught himself the offending squirrel THEN thought, How do I kill it? If he had no legal means of dispatch then he should not have used the trap in the first place. NO EXCUSE!

If he is NOT in an area where there are RED SQUIRRELS then it is perfectly legal to us dead catch traps for Grey squirrels, provided they are set and used in the proper manner. It must be remembered that traps of any description do not discriminate and will catch whatever sets off the trigger. For this reason I am only permitted to use live catch traps as I operate within a Red squirrel reserve buffer zone.

Any method of killing can be seen as cruel.

Being that this is a Shooting Forum I guess alot of people think shooting should be the only method. Personally as a follower of all types of Fieldsports, shooting isn't the be and end all and it can be cruel in many ways as well.

The comments of how this is outstandingly cruel and shouts of 'I wouldn't like it done to me', makes this place sound like a group of antis, next you will be saying 'i wouldn't like to be torn to pieces'!

This is not the first time this has happened and it used to be an accepted method, even dealing with puppies the same. All people are doing is playing into the hands of the Animal Welfare people, who want to constrict any killing of animals to licenced people, by agreeing with them.

what do you think happnes after the little fluff ball after it gets snared? surely any animal that youd want to snare you wouldnt want to do anything else apart from kill? am i wrong? cant think of an animal youd want to snare and keep as a pet or just let go again? what are the other options?

Of course you kill it but it's the method of killing it that is being debated.

No more snaring those little soft bunnies.

You know you are guilty.

Who me.

I spend my day looking for poor little fluffy bunnies caught in snares so that I can release them and send them on their way with a best practice manual tucked under their little arm entitled "how to build a man trap - the rabbits retribution"

No more live bait for those who endulge in fishing

Who me.

I spend my day looking for poor little fluffy bunnies caught in snares so that I can release them and send them on their way with a best practice manual tucked under their little arm entitled "how to build a man trap - the rabbits retribution"