Wind

columbus

Wind can be your best friend sometimes? or your worst enemy if you use it correctly its great, dont use it or try to ignore it and you will find yourself the looser. That goes for ferreting right through to pigeon shooting,you may ask is it that importent? the simple answer is yes.take a simple morns ferreting hedgerows if you walk the dog along the upwind side or a hedge how do you expect the dog to mark with the breeze blowing away from him.But if you walk him on the down wind side of the hedge the wind has blown through the warrens and if a rabbit is at home the scent of the rabbit will be carried on the breeze and the will give you a mark.When ferreting the same warrens it pays to put the ferret in on the upwind side then the breeze will carry the scent of the ferret through the warren  and hopefully if all goes to plan the rabbit will bolt before the ferret gets to it therfore avoiding layups. These are not hard and fast rules just general tips picked up after years of ferreting they dont work every time but most of the time they do.This is on example of how wind affects our sport there are many more,perhaps more than we think.So i think i would be right in saying ignore the wind at your perill if you want to be sucssessful use the wind to your advantage.

When I went ferreting (with purse nets) on a windy day, I would never work warrens, where the wind was blowing directly down the holes.

I was told, as a young lad, that it would dissuade the rabbits from bolting.

I never tested this theory, so it became true , by default. :sick:

A strong windy day can be good for decoying, as it distributes and muffles the sound of your shots.

In these conditions,  have shot pigeons over decoys and had other birds turning to come into the decoys, at the same time.

• 1 month later...

Working along a banked hedge with ferrets {no nets} with one gun either side of the hedge and rabbits bolting from all angles

is guaranteed to keep your eye in. I reckon that this form of shootingjust cant be beaten for the testing shots they provide,especially when they are bolting flat out over a ploughed              

field.  We use white ferrets for this game though, as those polecatscan be so easily lost.  This is what I call a good day out.