Where is the forum going ?

Browning

To everyone on this forum, I really must apologise for starting the thread "Gun shoots low and left"

Is it any wonder that many of the "old stagers", lads that used to create good friendly shooting banter, and pass on their knowledge in a friendly manner, now

hardly ever frequent the forum.

I often ask myself whatever happened to the likes of YP, Red Stag, Mr Pieman, Tiercel, Mad Springer, Elma Fud, BTMS, Sniper and lots of others.......

Well after reading through the utter bo**ocks that this thread has turned into I need wonder no more.

Whatever happend to the forum that I first joined two years ago ?

I really must apologise for starting the thread

i dont think you need to appologise, its a certain few members that at the moment seem to feel the need to take over some threads and turn them into 'bitching' sessions that owe you an applogy. It dosent help anyone taking over a thread in this manner, no one has actually answered the question in the topic , instead it has gone completely off track.

a little self restraint wouldnt go a-miss in these type of situations. this forum is deffinatly changing, it is no longer as Browning said, a place for "good friendly shooting banter" its more about prooving each other wrong. shifting more in the direction of certain other large forums, which are just a giant ground for people to argue about things. i hope this forum dosent go down this road, it has always been a great forum which has been very close and friendly. hopefully it can become a little more about "good friendly shooting banter" than who can shoot the highest scores with their head up their bum.

please dont take this as my own little 'bitching' session, just as my attempt at constructive criticsm. unfortuantly Browning has a point in his post :rolleyes:

I don't want to be too restrictive - have to tread a fine line, but I agree with you two, and have been keeping eyes on some of the posters here. I'm going to send out a couple of warnings, and that is all it is, and if the situation doesn't improve then make no mistake some will lose their posting privaleges on PW. The individuals' posts also tend to be incredibly boring.

I think the ability to 'lock' the thread when it starts to go off the rails or drifts too much is handy, that <might> cut down to *** for tat stuff.

In my experience forums go through this kind of phase all the time, it seems to come and go (fishing forums are a complete no during the closed season everyone seems to go mad with cabin fever!)

I would add that PW is miles better than any of the other forums so you shouldn't be too disheartened :rolleyes: the moderation on here seems to be spot on to me.

I feel i have to agree with browning on this,when i first joined this excellent forum,i was logging on 3-4 times a day to read the topics,but the last 2 weeks its only been every other day as im fed-up reading some of the quite rubbish replys.

I do feel most members add some very useful posts which i enjoy reading,but u will always get the wasters trying to get their post numbers up.

I would agree that some threads do seem to get hijacked and go off on a tangent. But in the main PW seems not to suffer like other other forums. It does appear that particluar members generate particluar responses and yes I find it annoying to read, each and every time it happens. It almost becomes expected at times.

But I have to agree with Stuart, this is a public forum and it is going to have its moments. I guess the only thing we can do is hope that people learn by the errors of thier ways and, support the Moderating team who are doing a fantastic job.

Either way chaps its christmas, have a very, very, good one and a happy new year.

It goes in cycles and it is in a a dip at the moment, due IMO to the loss of that Ernyha, but it will rise again and soon.

As others have said this is the best of the shooting sites and long will it reign.

I couldnt answer your question Browning but I think TLE could. Why not send him a PM?

LB

:) .....but just this once ! I think that it is because it is a dynamic thing.There are groups of people who are,not a clique but just seem to get on and others that don`t and so as people join or get less time/change of circumstance....whatever,then it changes.Therefore people tend to hanker for the "old times" and as we all are aware people are resistant to change if they are enjoying something.

Hows about letting things evolve and if necessary give a little rap on the knuckles(on the quiet)and that way,hopefully,things will level out.

IMO

This is a great site.

The problem with all e-communication is that it is impossible to put inflection into a comment, smileys help but still can be misread. Also we all tend to speed read the posts which leads to further misunderstandings as people flame other users unnecasarily.

As I said though this is a great forum and the admins do a great job. :)

BH

I think this happens on a lot of forums, as annoying as it can be. It is always a difficult line for mods to strike, keeping needless bickering (which is what seems to be happening on the thread in question) down to a minimum without becoming the PW gestapo. Perhaps a quiet word to those concerned (which I think someone has suggested) from a mod will help deflate the ego(s) involved and steer them away from peoples genuine questions to a more suitable area such as the general banter section.

Failing that, if a repeat offender emerges, it is surely for those who he clashes with to show why they are the better man by simply completely ignoring his attacks, I guarantee he will soon get pretty bored with logging on and talking to himself!

Pete

OK, I haven't been posting on the particular site for long but here is my 20p worth.

Yep, seen this happen to several other forums (though LR related not shooting) and the good guys migrate and the whingers then have no one to bitch at, so they move on too. Result is one dying forum.

That said this is definitely the best shooting forum I have found and one major plus is that it is UK based not US like so many others.

Whether you delete non-related posts, and general bitching, is a decision to be left with the mod but it is a decision I would support if needs must. It does work though!

I agree with Browning to some extent but also see it as my duty to try and educate some of the nerds who post on the site. Hopefully by passing on our accumulated wealth of Knowledge we will preserve the sport and make it a good deal safer in the future.

Every site suffers from a certain amount of inane drivel and to be honest the people most responsible usually just lose interest and drift away. :)

Keep the faith.

FM.

Sussex Lad had it summed up in his post "How many PW members does it take to change a lightbulb?"

I have become guilty of logging on at teabreaks and dinner at work and posting things that sometimes have no constructive input. I have tried to go into other areas on the forums where I do not have enough knowledge (I have been an airgunner for a year now so I don't exactly know it all do i?!) and try to comment on subjects that I don't have much more than a very rough idea of :)

This is perhaps what is what is upsetting people a bit. If so, sorry.

My New Years resolution is to sit back and watch rather than have to reply to everything that I can with a guess or a "in my opinion........"

Hope you all had a good one and now you know if it goes a bit quiet on the Snakebite front!! :P