Which Scope

JMW

Hi

I have been granted my first centre fire rifle, a 22 Hornet and I was wondering what level of scope I will need, I dont want to re-mortgage though so something reasonable priced, I am thikning about the Ruger 77-22.

I wont need to shoot out past a maximum of 200 yards, someone suggested that I would need a 6x42 but im not sure as the scope I have on my 22lr is 3-9x40 and I dont think there is enough magnification there to get out to 200 yards.

Ive seen a Sabre 4.5-14x50 Rifle Scope that is made by NIKKO STIRLING. I think its an air rifle scope but would that make a difference as the recoil fron the Hornet shouldnt shake it to bits should it?

Any advice welcome

Many thanks

Jon

I don't know if this helps but I use a Nikko Stirling Gameking 4-16X50 on my Bruno .222 for foxing. This seems to give me more than enough magnification to go out to around the 200 yards mark that you are suggesting. These scopes are quite good quality, they work well on the lamp and they are only around £70.00 from J S Ramsbottoms so no second mortgage is required! This scope handles the recoil of my .222 without any problems so it will certainly handle the recoil of a .22 Hornet!

It might make a bit of difference if we knew what your intended target was mate (I'm guessing it's fox)!

Yes, a S&B 8x56 is just what you want :good:

Have a look here:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=132006

You will see it's a very reasonably priced 8x56 which is currently sitting on a Ruger 77/22 Hornet :blink:

Incidentally I am replacing it with a 3-10x56 Swaro which I have just bought.

EDIT:

Incidentally, if you want a scope for low level light work (lamping) then get the biggest objective lense you can i.e. something by x56

Also, you will find that the rifle mounts on a Ruger 77/22 are a complete biatch to deal with..... I have had no end of grief;

1. apparently most Ruger 77/22 models have "offset" mounts on the rifle - by this I mean that that the front scope mount sits "higher" on the barrel than the rear mount (which of course sits "lower"). This means that the rings and mounts you buy will be of a differing height and not an exact pair. I have no idea what the logic is behind the design but it makes it a right pain because like me you will probably have nothing in your bag of bits / spares that will go even half way to fitting....

2. to fit a large objective lense scope to the 77/22 there just isn't enough room - I bought a factory set of Ruger high mounts and:

(1). they came "offset" (each mount in differing height) but it turned out my rifle was not offset i.e. from and rear mounts were the same height

(2). they just weren't high enough to fit a x56 objective lense

3. I then thought about a conversion rail - this would convert the millet to weaver *and* have the added benefit of giving me more height to fit a large scope. So I bought this:

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?S...oduct_Code=7722

The problem is that it was too short - I think it's for a .22 rimfire or the like. It is not long enough to span the length of the hornet chamber. So that has to go back.

4. I then looked at these other "conversion" blocks

http://www.jjkshootingsupplies.co.uk/produ...awk-410990/595/

I bought one, but alas they came "off set" and so to get a matching pair of the same height, I had to buy two pairs.

I pair is now on the rifle and I have a spare pair - if your rifle is not "off set" then you will need these....

There ends a very expensive, drawn out and frustrating story.

The happy ending is that the gun is superb and I can't believe I didn't get one sooner.

Edited by Mungler

Yes, a S&B 8x56 is just what you want :good:

Have a look here:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=132006

You will see it's a very reasonably priced 8x56 which is currently sitting on a Ruger 77/22 Hornet :blink:

Incidentally I am replacing it with a 3-10x56 Swaro which I have just bought.

wondered how long that would take :lol:

Guys,

Thanks for the info.

Its for fox and the odd long range rabbit.

Is the Ruger the only difficult rifle to fit a scope to? Is the CZ in Hornet easy to get a rail and scope on?

I like the 6 shot mag on the Ruger but if its going to be a pain I might look at something else,

any sugestions for hornet rifles?

Thanks

Jon

Many take the 8x56 as the classic fox scope, s&b would be nice for sure but your in top end territory there, when i get round to buying a 223 I'm pretty sure it'll wind up with an Edgar brothers Opti-mate 8x56 riding on top http://shootingsports.edgarbrothers.com/pa...-24-1-8x56.aspx

They are always spoken highly of by people who own / have used them. I belive that new you'll find them for around £180 and second hand do occasionaly crop up on the forums this may be more in your preffered price bracket.

Hope this helps :good:

Adam

When it comes to .22 Hornets the CZ is supposed to be by far the best rifle. I had one a while ago and before I bought it I did a lot of reading. Everyone raved about the CZ, it's just very well suited to the little Hornet round. Look into it for yourself before committing, once you've spent a week reading articles found on Google I'm sure you'll come to the same conclusion as I did! CZ all the way!

As for scopes, buy the best you can afford and ideally with up to about 12x mag.

Either the CZ or the Ruger.

I bought the Ruger because it came from a trusted source off here and had just had a new heavy barrel put on it.

If that hadn't come along, I would have probably gone for a new CZ.

Thanks for all the info Mungler, I think the S&B 8x56 is a little too expensive, however the Nikko Stirling Gameking 4-16x50 Px Adj Illuminated Reticule Mil Dot looks like agood buy and if it hasnt fallen off a 222 then it should stay put on the Hornet.

I was chatting to my FEO's son today and he had a Ruger and couldnt get on with it, bought a CZ and is getting on really well with it, he recomended the CZ having had both and its cheaper than the Ruger.

This will probably get a discussion going, with funds being finite, would you spend the money on getting a better/new rifle and not so expensive scope, or would you get a good scope and a second hand rifle. My initial though, once saving has been completed, would be to go for a new CZ Hornet and either the Nikko Stirling Gameking 4-16x50 (£80) or the Hawke 4-16X50 AO (£90).

Jon

Edited by JMW

Seriously, I have had all manner of scopes.

If you buy cheap, you buy twice.

I have tried getting S&B quality in a budget scope and it just does not work.

I do most of my shooting in low level light and in the dark under lamp; and for me it's Leupold (decent sized objective lense mind you - nothing under x50), S&B or Swaro.

There was a used S&B in the sales section for £300 with butler creek cover, rings and mounts and delivery :rolleyes:

Couldn't lose any money on that.

And behold, the replacement has arrived and is now on the Hornet....

1-5.jpg

1-4.jpg

Edited by Mungler

Ill get the best scope I can afford then, my RFD has the CZ American in 22 Hornet, 20 inch

barrel, and he can do new for £530, seems reasonable to me.

Jon

Who is your dealer mate as the price does seem very good as the cheapest on guntrader is £720 ? im not a million miles from the linconshire border, and i'm in the market to start filling some slots.

cheers

Who is your dealer mate as the price does seem very good as the cheapest on guntrader is £720 ? im not a million miles from the linconshire border, and i'm in the market to start filling some slots.

cheers

Adam,

Appologies for the mistake, its not £530 its £580. Dealer is Forest Lodge Guns at Wragby.

Jon

how about a weihrauch, i have one and its lovely although saying that i'm trying to trade it in at the moment, i need something more powerful so looking at a swift or .204, have to be differant than all the lads with .223's :good: i have a hawke scope on mine and its the one downside of my setup, if i were you i'd buy a second hand rifle and then spend as much as you can on a scope, keep an eye out for 2nd hand top name brands such as schmidt and bender, zeiss, swarovski, leupold vx III, etc, like what was said before, buy cheap buy twice, you get what you pay for so pay once and cry once and get yourself a nice scope