.410 Shot Spread

RossM

what diameter roughly should the shot spread be from a .410 firing 65mm 14gms size 7 cartridges at about 15yrds? I ask as I've just been for a duck flight for Teal with my sbs .410 and got one but in took a half inch chunk out of the ducks head which I think is very tight!! obviously it depends on the chokes (which i'm not sure of). :rolleyes:

410 tend not to pattern very evenly (3inch carts are esspecially bad) they i am told, tend to have alot of flyers on the edge of the pattern and tend to group up.

this might explain the chunk missing. this isnt first hand experiance, but what ive been told by the owner of Country Way in west Mauling, who fancys himself as a dab hand with the 410, and seems to know his stuff reg. them.

it is likely your gun will be running 3/4 and full choke, this is pretty typical of 410's

nice to hear of someone actually using a 410 for quarry on the wing :rolleyes:

Edited by dunganick

At 15 yards my full choked 410 will pluck the bird for me :) , pattern was about 10" by 12" at that range if i remember rightly ( using 2 inch cart ).

i tried the 2.5 and 3 inch also and by far the best pattern was the 2.5 inch carts , these where no 6,s.

Darren .

ps . any one know where i can get some no 7 or 7.5,s for my 410 , none of my locals have them in .

what diameter roughly should the shot spread be from a .410 firing 65mm 14gms size 7 cartridges at about 15yrds? I ask as I've just been for a duck flight for Teal with my sbs .410 and got one but in took a half inch chunk out of the ducks head which I think is very tight!! obviously it depends on the chokes (which i'm not sure of). :)

Hi,

I hope they are non-toxic shot mate! :)

FM :(