Springer or Lab?

BountyHunter

hi there,

i had the same problem but once i had wayed up the pros and cons decided to go for a lab (Ben, 5 months old now). I was told a spaniel is good for cover work, rough shooting etc and labradors where good for retrieving, which i believe you are looking for. I believe both breeds are great dogs, although i needed a dog for which was going to stay in the house so a spaniel was out of the question really and they are nutty as hell and never run out of energy, great for the beating line. Anyways whatever you decide to go for i hope you have the best of success. Keep us informed of your advancements.

Rob

I've had both and can honestly say that I don't have the temperament for a springer.

Labradors are born half trained. Springers die half trained. Get the dog that suits your personality.

I've got a black Lab - can you guess what she's called? She spends more time with me that I do with the wife. I tell ya, if that wife of mine could only cook..

Rio is good for beating, picking up, deer, taking to the pub, swimming, long walks, lying at your feet, walks in the garden, playtime, with my kids, getting off the settee, fetching things, making me go and fetch it myself (some days they do, some days they don't).

The only other dogs I would consider are a Rottweiler, a Great Dane or a Border Terrier. Maybe it's because i'm 6'2" tall - I dunno.

In a way, and I say this after owning nearly a dozen dogs, it's like falling in love.

RTD