dumping shot foxes on public roads

Conygree

I try not to leave shot foxes where members of the public could come across them, I don't think it's what they want to see especially if they are out with their children. I usually drag the foxes I shoot back to the farm and bury them in the dung heap. However I did slip up on one mangy old dog fox that I shot a while back - I put it in a black bag and threw it in the motor to take it to the farm for burying. What I didn't realise is that the black bag was leaking. The motor stank to high heaven for a fortnight. I did managed to convince the wife that the terrible smell was an air freshener that had gone off I don't think I will get away with it again, she's got a better nose than a labradore!

My shooting partner shot one and for what ever reason put it in the boot, only problem is that he works offshore and was flying out next morning. his missis has her own car so it wasnt until he came back six weeks later and opened the boot he remembered it was still there. car still stinks

doc

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left it a while before replying, to see what the responce was :good:

You don't need CSI to work out a large hole in the chest was a centre fire, also no animal can walk far with all it's vital organs missing.

I have heard of a few people who drop foxes on roads after shooting them - "so they get flattened" but most people will drive to avoid an animal. The road I often find them on is popular with motorcycles, so are they are left as a hazard.

it was good to hear that everybody who responded simply didn't believe this was going on and hopefully I won't find anymore.

So you think shooters are dropping foxes in the middle of roads to cause injury to others.

Bizarre.??

So you think shooters are dropping foxes in the middle of roads to cause injury to others.

Bizarre.??

And what's more, if I read his post correctly, he thinks that having read the replies on the forum it will stop happening thus insinuating that forum members may be responsible.

I hope I misunderstood

Bizarre.??

it would not surprise me if the protectionist body's are dropping the carcasses to give shooters a bad name

Ahh, the joy of Pigeonwatch. Always looking for a conspiracy theory.

As I read it the OP just meant that he was mistaken in his identification and was glad that his mind had been put at rest.

With regard to the anti's, is it not just possible that a shooter (obviously not from here) did dump it? Why is the assumption that if it was a shot fox it is an attempt to sabotage our sport?

Now I'll sit back and wait for the inevitable posts that I am an anti plant on the forum because I didn't jump to the conclusion that it would be them :good:

I left it a while before replying, to see what the responce was :good:

You don't need CSI to work out a large hole in the chest was a centre fire, also no animal can walk far with all it's vital organs missing.

I have heard of a few people who drop foxes on roads after shooting them - "so they get flattened" but most people will drive to avoid an animal. The road I often find them on is popular with motorcycles, so are they are left as a hazard.

it was good to hear that everybody who responded simply didn't believe this was going on and hopefully I won't find anymore.

Bizarre.??

And what's more, if I read his post correctly, he thinks that having read the replies on the forum it will stop happening thus insinuating that forum members may be responsible.

I hope I misunderstood

Pigeon Popper

I really am struggling with the whole concept of your original post and some of your responses since...It's heartening to know you can tell the difference between centrefire (what calibre would that be?) .22WMR Ballistic tip, etc and an assortment of shotguns, were they cage trapped and shot or shot at distance?

A lot of centrefire ammo could go clean through leaving you struggling to find any holes whereas a .22WMR ballistic tip could make an awsome hole.

What was this post really all about?

Just as a matter of interest, is it legal to leave any animal corpse above ground (whether on a road, under a hedge or just lying in the middle of a field)?

I don't know the answer, but years ago the farmer on a farm where we had shooting insisted that we either bury or incinerate any foxes or myxy rabbits that we shot as he claimed that it was an offence to leave it lying around. I never checked it at the time, partly because we never shot any foxes and any myxy rabbits got fed to dogs and ferrets.

I know it's a serious offence for a farmer to leave dead livestock lying in a field and I have heard them complaining about the cost of disposal. But I never found out if it applied to small and medium mammals that had been shot. (If so, it is another of those daft laws - what do the politicians think happens to the corpses of the millions of small mammals that die of natural causes?)

Just as a matter of interest, is it legal to leave any animal corpse above ground (whether on a road, under a hedge or just lying in the middle of a field)?

I don't know the answer, but years ago the farmer on a farm where we had shooting insisted that we either bury or incinerate any foxes or myxy rabbits that we shot as he claimed that it was an offence to leave it lying around. I never checked it at the time, partly because we never shot any foxes and any myxy rabbits got fed to dogs and ferrets.

I know it's a serious offence for a farmer to leave dead livestock lying in a field and I have heard them complaining about the cost of disposal. But I never found out if it applied to small and medium mammals that had been shot. (If so, it is another of those daft laws - what do the politicians think happens to the corpses of the millions of small mammals that die of natural causes?)

I heard a claim - don't know where from that 'some' road kills were if fact dropped on roads. This interested me, so driving about over the last few years most looked like road kills, some a bit odd and some with a large red hole in the chest? Some could have run on a bit until they dropped and were hard to find in the dark. I used to ride a motorbike to work 30 miles away and found there were natural phases of more road kills during the year. I just wondered what other members had seen while driving about, sorry if my use of words came across wrong - goes with being an engineer.

I 'popped' a few charlies last week, in this hot weather it stunk out a 200m radius in a week :good: So I can see that it could be a problem but I'm not aware of any regulations for disposal - are there any regs?

A few years ago whilst taking my daughter on holiday, she kept getting upset about flat animals on the road - she asked 'how much further dad?' 'oh, about 3 rabbits and a hedgehog'

Pinkfooty

This may answer your question, taken from DEFRA

The carcasses, or parts of carcasses, of wild animals are exempt from the scope of the EU ABPR unless they are thought to be diseased or are used to produce game trophies in which case there is a responsibility on the landowner to ensure the carcasses are disposed of in accordance with the regulation.

I'm sure it's not a local thing but the number of foxes lying on public roads - no crush injuries but a centre fire hole in the chest. Are these guys doing the dumping that dumb to expect the police to believe they are road accidents? all it needs is an accident caused by the fox for the police to check out the local centre fire FAC holders - then they could claim the fox was shot on a public road?.

I have seen foxes dumped half way around bends, I often stop to move them to prevent accidents - what's wrong with dumping them in the hedge?

I live in North Oxon too, and have seen plenty of roadkill and assumed it was literally just that. I'll stop (where safe!) and check next time...

Our local dump will take dead foxes for free provided thay are double bagged in yellow Bio hazard bags and "dead fox" is wriiten on the outer bag in marker pen. However, all trade waste, cardboard boxes, builders waste , old furniture fridges or whatever incurres a £20 fee. So if you start going in there regularly with dead foxes and Pest Controller on the side of your van its not long before they are going to wise up and start charging you.

Easier then to just dump the fox on a rural stretch of road and hope some passing truck is going to flatten it and save yourself the £20.

I'm sure different Councils have different rules and different charges but the same principle applies

Well, this has stirred some interest but I can't believe some of you are serious, ok, I'm sure someone somewhere has dumped a dead animal on the road before, but why on earth would anyone bother at the apparent rate being suggested here!

Pest Controllers DO NOT wholesale dump foxes on the roads, all the large firms have their own disposal systems and any infringement leaves the technician in serious trouble.

Small firms are unlikely to indulge in this practice for the fear of being caught, but why would they anyway, find a field or hedgerow or convenient skip, or rubbish bin, even houshold rubbish, etc, etc!!

Occasional "hunters" wouldn't bother and poachers don't care!

So just who would, and why would all these foxes be dumped on the roads? :good:

Well, this has stirred some interest but I can't believe some of you are serious, ok, I'm sure someone somewhere has dumped a dead animal on the road before, but why on earth would anyone bother at the apparent rate being suggested here!

Pest Controllers DO NOT wholesale dump foxes on the roads, all the large firms have their own disposal systems and any infringement leaves the technician in serious trouble.

Small firms are unlikely to indulge in this practice for the fear of being caught, but why would they anyway, find a field or hedgerow or convenient skip, or rubbish bin, even houshold rubbish, etc, etc!!

Occasional "hunters" wouldn't bother and poachers don't care!

So just who would, and why would all these foxes be dumped on the roads? :good:

I can't imagine its a widespread thing but like I said in my previous post, the only motive I can possibly see is to save themselves money. Some people are stupid enough to do anything if there is money involved.

Edited by Vince Green

there is different times of year you will notice more dead fox etc on the road breeding season and on the move foxes this tosh was started by animal rights groups years ago . no pesti in his right mind would run the risk of dumping foxes etc in the road we do have a out let for these bodys i use local knacker man with his incinerator [sp] or hunt kennels if i am anywhere near it at the time .

As said before it's anti's spreading the rumour which many seem to be on here.

I am interested in this statement as it seems to get used regularly by one or two members.

I assume by anti you mean anyone who doesn't follow your theory about things?

Some people are so paranoid on here its pathetic, its no wonder people don't want us owning guns!!

I am interested in this statement as it seems to get used regularly by one or two members.

I assume by anti you mean anyone who doesn't follow your theory about things?

Some people are so paranoid on here its pathetic, its no wonder people don't want us owning guns!!

How do you turn people against country pursuits? You present them something that is regularly seen and try to put a sinister twist on it.

If you spread the rumour that all the foxes and badgers on the roads were put there by people killing them and not by being run over the public will believe it and think that huge amounts of animals are killed by people with guns/dogs and sway public thinking.

You are naive to thing that LACS or the RSPCA are not to close it all down.

My theory on things??? An anti is someone who against country pursuits, either animal rights or leona Lewis.

You are wrong to believe that your sport is safe.

How do you turn people against country pursuits? You present them something that is regularly seen and try to put a sinister twist on it.

If you spread the rumour that all the foxes and badgers on the roads were put there by people killing them and not by being run over the public will believe it and think that huge amounts of animals are killed by people with guns/dogs and sway public thinking.

You are naive to thing that LACS or the RSPCA are not to close it all down.

My theory on things??? An anti is someone who against country pursuits, either animal rights or leona Lewis.

You are wrong to believe that your sport is safe.

I never said that all foxes etc were shot and dumped, in fact I believe it is unlikely in the case of foxes, but I do believe that it would happen (if only occasionally) with badgers as many people don't want them on their land but the Badgers Act prevents them from doing anything about it, it is also a good way for badger baiters to get rid of evidence IMO.

So to sum up, I don't even think it is shooters responsible, rather it would be farmers acting on their own or people trying to cover up their illegal activities.

I have been accused of being an 'anti' on more than one occasion on here because I don't share the opinions of a few, and to be honest I couldn't care less, but it seems odd that the same people shouting that we need to be unified to protect our sport are happy to try and divide us from within by insulting fellow shooters and calling their integrity into question :blink:

If we don't agree with a point of view then we all have the right to say so without people trying to place suspicion on us.

Edited by 955i