hyper lab

darren m

a mate of mine , not on here as a very hyper lab , its a great worker in all ways , but can be very hyper at times and cant help rushing in or thinking he knows whats best :) etc , he never seems to sit still long enough for the next command , as soon as he,s done one task , he,s ready to bolt off again.

its allready been castrated to calm him down , but this has,nt really worked , the dog is about 3-ish.

Any ideas or thoughts on what to do , any supplements etc to try .

cheers all .

Yep, thats what I was thinking, try him on a different food, he's probably food high and just too much energy to burn.

I have mine on james wellbeloved and she's pretty active but not overly so.

The dog is still young remember and will probably calm down..

Switch the food, and feed just once or twice a day.

not sure , i think he users chudleys a middle of the range all in one , which is around 20%.

whats the lowest protein you can get in an all in one food .

would it be any better to change over to tinned food and meal or barf even .

As i said the dogs a good un , and has been trained ok , may be its just over enthusiasm.

he mentioned calming supplements :) .

any more thoughts

cheers lads .

Darren .

ps . MERRY CHRISTMAS lads .

Edited by darren m

Darren

Have you found out what he is eating yet? Also how often does this dog exercise and hunt?

I am pretty sure that this is a food problem, unless this is an American/Canadian field trial bred dog, sometimes it is not the amount of protien in a food that is the problem, sometimes it is the make up of the food. I would suggest that your mate change his feed even if it is at 20 % protein and see what the results are.

If he is not working over hard , and if he does not have trouble holding weight then you can safely go down to 17%. However at first I would try a differant feed at the same level of protein, to see if it makes a differance.

NTTF

hi NTTF -- the food is called chudley,s original , protein 20% and fat / oil 10%.

the dog is excercised almost every day , but he is a little bit overweight ( right pig ).

maybe he,s just over enthusiastic , as he works fine , does all his commands but cant seem to sit still long enough even for a good boy pat on the head and praise etc . this is making him a bit unpredictable , maybe needs more training do you think .

Any way on the food front any one know a decent non additive low protein all in one ( preferably a vat free one ).

thanks all

Darren .

Darren it is very possible that he has gotten into a habbit of breaking , and popping. If that is the case get him on s slip lead and make him sit through retrieves and everywhere during everything for a while. Would do him good to have to sit and honour anothers retrieving work as well.

Let me know if your mate is willing and where you guys want to go with him, and I will give you and outline.

NTTF