Pigeon shooting in Northern Ireland

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boys, I know this is off the topic bit, but I have had a litter of pups by accident. SPROCKERS. Springer Dam, Cocker Sire. both dogs are my own. both have excellent pedigrees, and both are good workers. If you are interested or know anyone who is PM me. there are 5. 4 dogs (3 black, 1 chocloate) and one bitch (black).

Edited by Dr D

Got on a field yesterday evening as farmer was cutting it, was a whole crop as he was just cutting it like it was sileage. The birds were going mad for it. Had an hour of shooting and had a firing pin stick on me so I was shooting with one barrell. Had 35 corvid shot when I was told to stop, (long story) and left the field with the bird pouring into the field.

But has anyone else had a chance to shot overthis type of crop, the birds go mad for it. It looks similar to wheat but is just blown into the trailer. There is always huge amounts of feed left in the field. I shoot at another farm where he has always had barley and in comparison there is never as much left for the birds

you sure its not scrap crop? if it is it could be wheat or barley or anything, its mixed in the silo's during winter to feed the cattle. one of the places i shoot does this, had a few good days last year though they arent doing it this year :good:

had a few good days in june on the crows, havnt bin at them much since, mostly rabbits so far this year. was at a new place last night, 12 acres or so of wheat (i think). just went to take a look as it wont be ready for another month or two, crow/pigeon season for us starts end of august, looks like we'll be having plenty to do this year!

crop sileage will give you far better shooting. The field that i was shooting the other day is still full of birds, granted mostly corvid but plenty of shooting on it. Hope to be out this afternoon on another farm that was cut this morning.

By hte way got a real shock when I went to buy cartridges a few weeks ago, so was checking prices with a few other guys and think the dealer ripped me off.

Hi all. Just new to forum. Have two weeks off work, was out 4 days last week for 320 woodies. 64,87,25,and 144 today. The two best days were both on crop silage. Shooting 7.5 over 24 shell decoys and a rotary.

thats good shooting what pat of n.i did you shoot them at

Was out on my todd today, 51 pigeons, 21 crows (5 greys in that), a mag, and 5 that i seen nose dive into a thick field of crop which dog didn't pick, she picked 4 out of 9 in that field :) That is only my second day on stubble so i suppose i should be pleased, but in fairness i shot pretty bad in the morning. It was all crows before 12 and then the pigeons arrived.

Actually had to open out the pattern as birds were passing, worked a treat, but also moved them further from crow deeks also as they were reluctant to commit. In the end they decoyed well.

Edited by Degalle79

Have heard there is a company who will take pigeons and pay a nominal amount, minimum of 25 birds, they operate around the lough shore area. Have not used them yet but has anyone heard of anyone who would be willing to take them just in case I get the chance of shooting more than I can give to friends.

Hope to get out later today, was watching fields that have been cut yesterday and there was at least 700 corvid on the fields and a fair few pigeons, let's hope they are still there today.

Was out at 4.30 and stopped at 6.30 that included setting up and then clearing up. I shot a total of 50 birds. The jackdaws and crows were coming in in large numbers it was crazy. I had to take the crow decoys in after a while to allow pigeons to come in. I had less than 75 carts with me and ran out. Phoned 3 shooting friends but none of them were contactable at that time. Going again this afternoon with a mate and more carts as there were hundreds of birds in the area although there are lots of fields to feed in.

Also heard last nite of two guys who shot over 300 pigeons on saturday so htere are big bags available in n.ireland.

Edited by Ballymac