are le chamaeu boots worth it?

lowlander

i need a new pair of wellies for the new shoot that ive joined this season and have always wanted a pair of le chamaeu chassuer (if thats how you spell it!) but i think after looking at the prices and my bank balance that ill have to go for the vierzonard ones but theyre still expensive, so before i take the plunge are they really worth the money?

lowlander

if you like comfy warm feet all day after walking through snow slush and water they are worth it .

if you dont like like to be warm all day dont spend ya money .

i never regretted spending 125 quid on mine . couldnt beleive how warm they keep you . :good:

they are good however a few are of the opinion not as good as they used to be, a certain moderator and his missus seem to kill them quick from what I remember, have to say I got a cheap pair of Hunter leather lined ones from the Sportsman and they have been great so I would recommend the leather lining if you use them most of the year.

I've had mine a year and a half i spose and yes they've got a few scratches from the brambles and that but still watertight. Thats from maybe 25 shoots over the season plus whatever else i wear 'em for. I do believe they have a guarantee now though#?

they are good however a few are of the opinion not as good as they used to be, a certain moderator and his missus seem to kill them quick from what I remember,

A mate of mine had 2 pairs perish one after the other, it turns out that the field he was walking up had just been sprayed with nitrogen fertilizer, this royally effs up the rubber.

A mate of mine had 2 pairs perish one after the other, it turns out that the field he was walking up had just been sprayed with nitrogen fertilizer, this royally effs up the rubber.

leaving wellies especially cheapy in the boot of the car or in sunshine does them no good at all.

All the more expensive boots tend to fit, feel perform better, whether they are worth £80-£100-£*** is down to the user, I have a decent pair which I seldom use, simply because I have a habit of puncturing boots on brambles, hawthorn, gorse, barbed wire, whatever. I get ****** off when I destroy by £10 B&Q gardening specials, I would be inconsolable if I destroyed my Classics! :good:

I would not pay huge amounts of money on wellie boots. however after getting ****** off with a series of chepies thet leaked after 2 days use ect. i forked out £45 on some Seeland 4mm neoprene lined ones, and i would never go back! brilliant boot.

Having said that when they were still very new i ripped a small gash on a nail :good: however as they are thick and dureable some vulcanised rubber solution ( i put a black puncture repair patch on as well for extra security although it was not needed) and they are still going strong 18 months later!

leaving wellies especially cheapy in the boot of the car or in sunshine does them no good at all.

I would say especially expensive ones, the pairs al4x is referring to were both left in direct sunlight and perished/split within a couple of years.

IMO they have changed, I have an ancient pair and to me they feel more solid than the newer ones Mrs D has.

I am dreading them giving out as I have no idea what I would buy next time, I like the look of the Sealand ones, they have a Vibram sole as well, I would be interested in how they are lasting if anyone has a pair?

I've now had 3 pairs of leather lined wellies and they've all been through hard use in the beating line over the years and on the hill in Scotland. Started off with Aigle (£110 local hardware merchant) then a pair of Chameau (£165 Andersons, Game Fair) and now half way through another pair of Aigle (£185 Fleabay I think) - prices paid were the cheapest available at the time shown to give you an idea of timing over the 20 years.

Aigle tend to come a bit narrower than the Chameau's which were the more comfortable from a day-long support point of view but the zips gave way in the end. I did glue them shut with silicone window seal, or something like it, successfully for a year! Will look for chameaus again next time.

However, I now wear the Black Islander Diotto high boots with a pair of gaiters. Absolutely excellent!! Almost 4 seasons 'very' hard use beating (now 3 or 4 days a week in bramble country) and hill work, including standing in 3" of mucky cementy water for 3 weeks concrete blocking a base on a mates house build and only just starting to let water 18 months later as the hard coating has got a bit thin - I guess it isn't really up to being rubbed against concrete blocks. Insulated with 300Thinsulate so warm enough for winter high seat work but not too warm for walking. Very low maintenance (ie Zilch on the feet, bit of graingers now and again on the uppers)

Also got a pair of high Moufflons, bramble-scratched to wherever after a couple of days beating - leather now well cracked but they still don't leak, good to wear on dry days where there's not a lot of bramble. More comfortable than standard walking boots when tromping around the Lakes, even after being given blisters by the short boots!

Also had a pair of Lundhags, couldn't walk a quarter of a mile with a blister rub on the heal what ever combination of socks and insoles. Down to the shape of my feet, gave them to the guy where I go on the West Coast and he wore them all week without problems (and still wears them).

So, for me it's the Black Islanders for solid durabilty and Chameau leather-lined wellies or Moufflons (and no brambles) for convenience, easy wear.

All the best,

FBW

I like the look of the Sealand ones, they have a Vibram sole as well, I would be interested in how they are lasting if anyone has a pair?

I have a pair of the Seeland Estate neoprene wellies with the Vibram sole - circa £125.

Thick, solid rubber, 5mm neoprene, removable sorbothane insole makes them very comfortable. I have had them since February this year and wear them for about 2 hours a day, every day through ground you would normally encounter when beating, they are worn for longer if out foxing or stalking. They are still as good as new. I REALLY rate these boots.