Firearms Act Amendment

Brad93

I have just recieved a letter in the post stating there is a regulation that has come into effect today (28th July) that relates to certificate holders under the age of 18 that can purchase and hire ammunition or shotguns. It says anyone under the age of 18 now cannot buy these things. It was 17 before.

I got my sgc at the start of the year a week after i turned 17. What does this mean for me? My gun is currently away being repaired will I be able to get it back before i'm 18? And will i be allowed to keep my gun, i'm the only certificate holder in the house? Will i be allowed to get someone else to buy carts for me?

Bit worried as you can imagine :good:

Regards

They are going to put you in prison for a long time!

:good:

Ring your FEO, My guess is you can keep it as though it was gifted to you as you already bought it, but couldn't go out and buy another gun until you are 18. Might be tricky getting hold of cartridges........

Also means u have to be in company of an adult while out shooting.

Well thats not gonna happen. I'm the only sgc holder in my house, and my mum and dad don't really agree with the shooting animals but don;t mind clays etc.

The EU are taking the ****. This country's government need to get a backbone and say no for once. Poxy scumbags that are in the house of commons don't have a clue. You would think David Cameron being a shooter would have made his thought heard :good:

I have only just turned 18 but got my SGC at 16 so anyway mine said on it under conditions that i could not purchase guns or carts until after my 17th birthday. If yours still says the same on it then you may be okay you never know either way im glad i don't have to deal with more legislation :good: .

George

I would now be ringing my firearms department every time you

need cartridges and asking for a delivery/gift, seeing as they issued

the certs in the first place,or if your a member of BASC/CPSA etc ask

them for a delivery/gift, they are after all fighting your corner so to

speak and maybe a shooting buddy off them as well :good:

I've got a mate who can get me the cartridges so its alright on that front. How would you go about 'gifting' a shotgun? Would you put given in the box instead of sold etc

Get your mate to buy it do the letters etc wait a week or two then get your mate to transfer it

to you stating gift on your certificate and write another bunch of letters :good:

Well thats not gonna happen. I'm the only sgc holder in my house, and my mum and dad don't really agree with the shooting animals but don;t mind clays etc.

The EU are taking the ****. This country's government need to get a backbone and say no for once. Poxy scumbags that are in the house of commons don't have a clue. You would think David Cameron being a shooter would have made his thought heard :good:

]]

i dont think it does i think its only the purchase and hire of guns :D

here..

Section 2 Shotguns

Purchase/sale to minors – Section 22(1) & 24(1) of the Firearms Act 1968

The purchase age is raised from 17 years to 18 years. The law is also amended to make

an offence to sell to under 18’s. This does not affect the age at which a young person may

be granted a shotgun certificate nor does it affect the gifting of shotguns to persons aged

15 years or older.

15-17 year olds, gifting and use

The parent or guardian signature required by the certificate application form for anybody

under 17 was deemed to be compliant with the EU Directive. This age group are still

allowed to be on private premises with an assembled shotgun without supervision.

Of course he can have his own property back!

He is not buying it or having it hired to him so he is fine.

I am sorry that you think the following phrase on our advice note is not clear:

Section 2 Shotguns:

The purchase age is raised form 17 to 18 years. The law is also amended to make it an offence to sell to under 18's. This does not affect the age at which a young person may be granted a shotgun certificate nor does if affect the gifting of shotguns to persons aged 15 years or over

My regards

David

Of course he can have his own property back!

He is not buying it or having it hired to him so he is fine.

I am sorry that you think the following phrase on our advice note is not clear:

Section 2 Shotguns:

The purchase age is raised form 17 to 18 years. The law is also amended to make it an offence to sell to under 18's. This does not affect the age at which a young person may be granted a shotgun certificate nor does if affect the gifting of shotguns to persons aged 15 years or over

My regards

David

perhaps the addition of the words "persons under the age of 18 who already own a shotgun are not affected unless the wish to purchase a new one" ........... or something like

just a thought :lol: