CZ 511 High Velocity

jim38curl

Gone and my first rifle, got a second hand CZ511. All seemed ok until closer inspection at home when i saw subsonic stamped on the barrell. I've now got to ask the stupid question....... Can i use high velocity rounds in it or not. The guy in the gun shop didn't mention not using them ( infact he sold me a box of them ) and also told me that my moderator ( a sako one ) was ok to use with HV and no need to take off.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim.

Sounds all a bit strange. :thumbs:

Seems unusual that it can only fire subs.

Im not an expert when it comes to being a rifle smith, but surely most .22lrs today fire high velocity ammo? :thumbs:

Anyone else here know, better than me anyhow. ;)

Edited by Frank

Problem sorted. Just phoned gunshop and asked him about it. He said that the earlier versions where made mainly for HV and then they made a barrell that was ideal for subs as well, hence they marked it subsonic to let people know it was good for both.

Cheers,

Jim.

Thats what he told me anyway. If i don't post on here for a while the gunsmiths a liar and i'm in hospital. ;)

Jim38,

Sorry about the delay in replying.

I've just returned from a few days holiday, beating etc.

Your gunsmith isn't pulling your leg. The stamping, as described above, is just to indicate it will fire subs as well as HV's, as the others have said.

They are easy to strip and clean. I did it every 1000 just to give me a suitable point to remember to do it. The semi auto will never be as clean as a bolt action but I bought mine so I could get off a quicker second shot.

If you use the rifle for walking/lamping consider having two magazines brazed together. You know where the spare is then, and it makes a good carying handle.

Enjoy.

;)

Thanks for replys guys. Went out this morning to zero it and had a bit of a problem with it jamming. One mag was worse than the other. Out of 100 rounds put through it i had 18 jams where the head was actually bent over or out of shape. Is this a normal occurance with a semi auto ?Looking in to the action it seemed like it wanted to push the round higher than the chamber entrance.

Sorry if i've got any of the terms / names wrong. New to this rimfire lark.

Thanks,

Jim.

Jim,

Is this a new gun ?

If not, does it need a good clean in the breech ?

Does the magazine need a drop of WD40 to loosen the spring up a bit ?

Does this jamming occur with other brands of ammunition ?

The cartridge entry lugs ( my phrase !) on the magazine, are the lugs that will be on either side of the cartridge when you feed one into the magazine. ( I am presuming they still do metal magazines ?) Just try it a mill, that's all.

Hope this helps.

:thumbs:

Cheers Sniper. The guns second hand, with 94 stamped on it, i guess thats the year of manufacture. I tried the WD40 in the mags and seems a little better. Going out again on monday but if there's no significant improvement i'm going to take it back and get him to sort it out of get a refund.

Thanks again.