My New Gun

Guest GeorgeH

Guest georgehare

I've just traded in my old 20g and got a second hand Lanber (field)

Its proofed to 1200kg / cmSq, but forgot to ask the gunshop, do you think its suitable for 3inch cartridges ?

Out shooting tomorrow so get to try it out ;) realy pleased

Look on the barrel flats and it should say 76mm or have 76 somewhere,which means it can take 3" carts.However if it says 70mm or 70 on it,then it can only take 2 3/4" carts..........1200kg is mag proof,and if you use a sensible choke and steel cartridge you should be OK

Personally I would go for T.Matrix or Hevi shot as they will do the biz on ducks and geese better than steel.IMO

cant see 70 or 76 anywhere on the barrels.

its fixed choke so i cant choose which choke to use. would 1/2 and 1/4 be ok for steel ??

i've used t.matrix with my 20g but they are bloody expensive, as with hevi shot and steel seems the best cheaper option.

Have you taken off the forend George? Numbers are usually under there. Choke too tight to play with steel so dont!

LB

yeh ive looked all round the barrels.

on each barrel it has 3 of the gunmakers marks and 1200 Kp/cm2

on the other side ut has 3 stars and 18.5 on each barrel and 1430gmo on one barrel.

cant see anythink else apart from the cerial number

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Right George, I suggest you talk to Dunganick then as he is well up to speed on the Lanber.

LB

i dont actually know, steel is not something i have much experiance with at all.

http://members.tripod.com/lanberusa/gun_fo.../model_2087.htm

i will draw your attention to the menu 'gun features' and 'test breech'

but i will go and get my lanber out and have a poke around, and see if i can find out what mine (a sporter) is proofed for.

im 99% certain its 3" steel proof, but better safe than sorry.

Guarantee Certificates

LANBER shotguns comfortably exceed the international type approval requisites of the test bench.

LANBER models are prepared for use with 12 bore high performance cartridges loaded with steel shot, complying with C.I.P. recommendations. This test is made on special request.

just taken this of the link nick hope it helps ;)

okay, the place to find out the size of your chamber .....

the underside of the square section, there are two square metal lumps, one has LB printed on it, the other has (in my case unfortuantly) 12-70

this means it is a 12b with 70mm chambers, so 2.5" shells only ;)

and you have allready found the 1200 measurement on the side of the barrels.

http://members.tripod.com/lanberusa/gun_fo.../model_2087.htm

go to gun features then test breech & this will come up

Guarantee Certificates

LANBER shotguns comfortably exceed the international type approval requisites of the test bench.

LANBER models are prepared for use with 12 bore high performance cartridges loaded with steel shot, complying with C.I.P. recommendations. This test is made on special request.

;)

Remove fore-end, then barrels, look underneath

LB (Lanber)

********* (serial number)

12-70 = 2 3/4" or 12-76 = 3"

or it will have 70 or 76 under safety.

;)

Tam.

Never saw 2nd page :*) :*) :*)

modern ones have "fleur de lays" steel proof mark !

Edited by Tam

Steel shot is retained in a full cup so it should not touch the barrel.

The problem with steel is that it is harder and lighter than lead so it loses downrange speed and therefore killing power.

If your barrels are the only consideration then don`t shoot over wetlands,if you can avoid it.

TM and bismuth WON`T break the bank unless you shoot 1000 or more carts a year and have better downrange killing power and won`t break your teeth when you eat the ducks.IMO.

Also steel has a tendency to ricochet as it is so hard.

Edited by henry d

Which will equate to approx 1000 game cartridges,which at the time of harvest or over peas we would take for a day at the pigeons??

Personally I will shoot 3x that amount(of lead)in a season at pigeon and rabbit.

I think you will find tm and bis better in the long run,trust me I`ve had to use them for 7 or more years.