dog food

gottsy boy

hi all

i've got a 11 month lab bitch witch i feed solid food the dried type, she doesn't really eat it like i know labs to eat.

i tried her on some tinned food and a mixer and she loved it but it gave her the runns.

what do you guys feed your dogs?

few pics of maisy and the boy charlie, the springer is biff he is 5 now

post-19266-1280871769.jpg

post-19266-1280871801.jpg

We up the biscuit a little with fussy dogs and include some

tuna/sardines/pilchards never fails they love it and we

only buy the cheap asda smart price tins 30-40p a tin so

cheaper than doggy ones.

:good:

My two labs are always excited if I add something to their biscuits, even just gravy sometimes and while this goes against the principle of feeding a complete food it's nice to see them enjoy it. As above, their favourite is pilchards in tomato sauce.

Lately I've been giving them cooked rabbit that I haven't wanted which has obviously gone down a real treat!

I had the same problem with my lab, tried most makes, even the £50 a bag stuff.

In the end my mate suggested Dr Johns silver by Gilpa. sorted his stomach out in less than a week, he loves the stuff and its only £8:50 a bag :good:

He's been on it ever since

bigt

My Lab is 11 months now and still on beta puppy, she has recently stopped devouring it in seconds unless it has a little bit of something in be it tuna, pasta or my little girls shreddies. I will be looking to change her on to an adult dog food at 12 months and Dr John Platinum has been recommended.

Highly recommend Dr John, I think the only difference in the silver, gold and platinum is the protein percentage.

Mine is not a full time worker and has a delicate tummy because of the way he was treated before i got him, so I stick to the lower protein. Definitely gold or platinum for workers tho.

ATB

bigt

we feed our dogs (2x dogue de bordeauxs and rottie) tripe the ddb's are a real fussy dog to feed with easy stomach problems so tripe is the preferred food by them and breeders alike, does wiff a bit :good: but is cheap 20x 1lb bags £8.00 delivered frozen to your door, they are well muscled and not over weight if you can call an 11 stone male and 10 stone female underweight!

cheap 20x 1lb bags £8.00 delivered frozen to your door,

Where is that from? I used to know someone who had three Newfoundland dogs and this is what they were feed on. Fantastic looking dogs they were!

How much does each dog eat per feed, not that you can compare a dogue de bordeauxs with a labrador, but a useful guide nevertheless.

down south DAF are not too bad (Durham Animal Feeds) the bordeauxs get pound and a half of tripe (raw black tripe) with a cup of all in one dry food as a mixer, all mixed together as a slop, they love it (I know it sounds rank) but the results speak for themselves.

labrador bite pressure is 125lb a bordeaux is the top of the canine world at 1000lb if any comparison, weight wise varies for a lab but just replace the commercial food with same weight of tripe as a good start and adjust to suit, we never use commercial food and swear by the barf diet (raw tripe, chicken and the likes) you can buy it from pets at home to try but it costs 5x as much aprox £3.70 for a bag.

i wouldnt touch dr johns,i lost a bedlington through feeding that,i was working away when i came back the dog was knackered the vet said it was not just the feed other things as well, but dr johns is 1 of the worst feeds you can get,i feed wagg worker now my chessies get it and my cocker all the year round

BARF all the way. Dog takes about 2 seconds to empty the bowl!

I have a mate that works in the factory of a well known top end dried dog food.

The stuff is full of ****. This particular brand uses the waste from chocolate bars as a bulking agent!

Last time I checked dogs were not meant to eat waste coco and sugar. It always amuses me when people tell you in a condasending manner "I feed such and such blah de blah" The dog would probably be better eating the contents of the house bin!!!

just got a lab pup shes 5 months now and everything i gave her gave her the runs now am on iams and its worked a treat nice and solid and easy for the wife to pick up ;) just need to stop her eating the kids toys now :hmm:

I know where you coming from with the kids toys........!

Nettle is 11 months old now and just realising she cant take anything she wants from the kitchen, fridge magnets where her favourite for some time...........post-13846-1281085785.jpg

I wouldn't normally sound the horn for any commercial company, but.......

Six months ago I started using Whites Premium Dog Food for my working terriers, and it's without doubt the best food I have ever used to feed my five terriers.

http://www.whites-premium.com

I buy the original lamb and rice, then mix it 50/50 with the Working Dog Vitality Muesli, and the dogs have never looked better.

The Original Lamb and Rice is just the right size for terriers. The Working Dog Vitality Muesli is nice and soft and moist and would be fine for gun dogs, as the biscuit is slightly larger - the dogs love it and it's a very good quality food.

I brought it in bulk direct from them and managed to get a discount too off their advertised prices.

Cheers

I have a mate that works in the factory of a well known top end dried dog food.

The stuff is full of ****. This particular brand uses the waste from chocolate bars as a bulking agent!

Last time I checked dogs were not meant to eat waste coco and sugar. It always amuses me when people tell you in a condasending manner "I feed such and such blah de blah" The dog would probably be better eating the contents of the house bin!!!

which company was it mate , give us a clue :blink:

i,ve been told CSJ is getting more popular , but hard to find