GSP Breeder

Tom&Dexter

Birkenwald kennels are in Dorset, they have a web site. Mrs Gill who was one of the founders died a while back but her husband is still active with the dogs/breeding so i'm told. All the dogs are fully german bred to preserve the lines, if that is important to you? If you need a number pm me and i'll forward :welcomeani:

Go to champdogs really good, some rubbish on it like every site but generally 100%, full kennel club and family tree and the hip score as standard so it is a start.

This is a valid point as getting a dog with chronic dysplacia isn't fun as i've found out in the past...

It was one of the reasons we went to Birkenwald as they're very tough on hip scoring, if I remember right they are one of the very few breeders to have managed a 0/0 scoring on one of their dogs through selective breeding?

I would recommend joining the GSPC or GSPA - we joint the GSPC - http://www.gsp.org.uk - prior to getting ours and got some really good advice.

There is one big breeder whose name I won't mention but everyone with a "name" in the breed I have spoken to has said to avoid.

Good luck.

edit: I think the link in the above post should be versatilehpr.com - another good site :blush:

Edited by Raja Clavata

Hi

Looking in to sorting out a new pup and looking for a good breeder of GSP's

must dew claw and dock

location is not important willing to travel

any information appriciated

cheers

Tom Hi Tom hoping to mate my GSP bitch the end of this week , her blood lines are Birkenwald and I will be puting her to a dog who ,s blood lines are mostly german, ATB paul ( Hy- flyer )

photo of my bitch when she was about 18 months old

post-9843-1281529430.jpg

Edited by hy-flyer

will be breeding my bitch in 6 months time, she is in season now but ill wait until the shooting season is over, work her on the grouse moors and picking up at driven shoots, ran her in a few pointing tests where she has graded good and also ran her in a few working tests where she has always been in the top two, only 18 months old but working very well, i will be trialing her this season, she is kenneled 24/7 with no issues.

lexi100810.jpg

046-1.jpg

11 months old first pointed retrieved pheasant

018.jpg

Edited by t jack

Why do people breed from young dogs with so little time in the field completed?

if that is referance to my post Kent, the reason being should she win a trial this season which i fully expect her to do, she will be bred from, she has been shot over from 11 months old won awards in pointing tests and won working tests, if she wins a trial she will be worth breeding from end of, take a look at 99% of the litters around of HPR,s bred from **** to ****, if they are 2 or 5 it doesnt take away from the fact most have done nothing and have no field trial awards to back it up, i will take a litter off her a 2-3 years old keep a pup back and by the time she is slowing down the pup will be coming on to an age where she is ready to work, what have your dogs won?

If you have a litter when she is two and keep a pup and it's up to the same standards you will be working it by the time it's one and the bitch will be three. I doubt the bitch will be slowing down by then.

I have a Gwp and was planning to get another dog when he is five or six but it will depend how he is getting on.

Nice looking bitch you have there.

Harry

if that is referance to my post Kent, the reason being should she win a trial this season which i fully expect her to do, she will be bred from, she has been shot over from 11 months old won awards in pointing tests and won working tests, if she wins a trial she will be worth breeding from end of, take a look at 99% of the litters around of HPR,s bred from **** to ****, if they are 2 or 5 it doesnt take away from the fact most have done nothing and have no field trial awards to back it up, i will take a litter off her a 2-3 years old keep a pup back and by the time she is slowing down the pup will be coming on to an age where she is ready to work, what have your dogs won?

If she wins a field Trail fair enough but she hasn't yet. Working tests and pointing tests are meaningless. What have my dogs won? Nothing and never will as i have no intrest in trailing and certainly non in tests and i don't believe in breeding from anything unless i can't buy better. Fact is we are talking about a young dog with but one season in the field as good as you might feel she is

If she wins a field Trail fair enough but she hasn't yet. Working tests and pointing tests are meaningless. What have my dogs won? Nothing and never will as i have no intrest in trailing and certainly non in tests and i don't believe in breeding from anything unless i can't buy better. Fact is we are talking about a young dog with but one season in the field as good as you might feel she is

if they were meaningless, anyone could win one :hmm: yes they dont carry a title but they are a good guage of a young dogs abillity and the handlers abillity.

as i have stated should she win a trial i intend to breed off her, i have much older dogs here i have never bred from i just think this one is worth breeding from :hmm: time will tell, she is in season now, i could have lined her now, but im wanting to see how she does this season trialing, if she does nothing ill re-think my plans to breed her and very much doubt i would i dont want to have to advertise the pups id hope they sell for themselves :lol:

• 1 month later...
There is one big breeder whose name I won't mention but everyone with a "name" in the breed I have spoken to has said to avoid.

Good luck.

edit: I think the link in the above post should be versatilehpr.com - another good site :yes:

Care to send me the details to i can avoid ?

cheers