Bristol Gunsmiths

Themacclad

There is a very good practical gunsmith in Bath, might be a bit further out from Bristol but well worth a visit.

His address is

4 Gloucester Street,

Julian Road,

Bath,

BA1 2SE

His 'phone number is 01225 445062 but he rarely answers it as he is a proper gunsmith and does not like being interupted when working.

Thank you all.

The Bath address sounds the most convenient, give them a call tomorrow.

Many thanks again........... :good:

tha blokes name is jim wills,hes very abrupt but hes ok,hes just buy all the time. richard at newavon is a gunsmith believe it or not!!! and uve got steve beaty at ivythorn farm in street.there are various other guys that work from home,let me know and ile let u know some others....

Edited by the running man

I checked Google maps, the Bath address looks like a funeral parlor, very dour looking place !!

Been to New Avon a few times and not sure about them, it probably works both ways........... and certainly didn't know there was a gunsmith there.

Thanks Running Man , shall ring Jim at Bath in the morning and check Pill on Tuesday(think they're closed on a Monday)

Jim Wills has a workshop upstairs from an old disused shop.

I wouldn't say he was abrupt but I would say he is very 'laid back' and is a devil of a job to get hold of on the 'phone.

He is a Master Craftsman and isn't as expensive as some.

He definitely is a character. He made a forend for me in two weeks when I had already been quoted three months by another stocker and then let down.

When I went to pick it up, he asked if I wanted it checkered.

I said yes, if it wasn't going to take long as I needed the rifles for a trip, he did it there and then, freehand, while I watched.

When it was finished he gave me some oil to rub in and told me to bring it back when I returned from my winter trips and he would re do the checkering to make it better once I'd used it for a while.

I did and he did and what a job he did too. It really looks good and at no extra cost.

Definitely a craftsman of the old school.