rimfire suitable land to let

.17 hummer

hello pigeon watchers this is my first ever post on this site. i am trying to find a permanant rough shoot to shoot rimfire on .17hmr and .22 subsonics usual pest species. i have a small rough shoot and a golf course but am looking for something a bit bigger that i can shoot on at any time. im 43yrs old divorced with two lovely daughters who are both keen shooters. im a full basc member and have full public liability insurance with 30yrs exp , 9 of those in australia. i understand that there is no such thing as a free lunch and have a budget of about 1000 pounds a yr. my daughters and i are more than willing to share a shoot and more than willing to do working bees and share costs. we live in brighton east sussex and can travel to surrey hampshire or kent. all live stock and any conditions greatly respected. thanks dan willard. .

hi

are you taking the p*&%ss.

most of the shooters on here are struggling to get shoots.

and could ill afford to pay a grand for the privilege.if you can afford the above amount why not try the shooting mags. but there again thats how shooting is going. to the highest bidder.

Edited by markbivvy

Guest Mr Pieman

Hello .17 Hummer. I'll apologise for Markbivvy's rudeness. He doesn't mean to be a tw*t, its a genetic defect I think :)

With £1000-00 a year you should be able to find something locally. However, if you do some calling around farms in the area you want to shoot, you might well find something that suits your needs for free - except a couple of bottles of whiskey at Christmas for the farmers. I would seriously recommend that you try to get land by asking, before you go down the 'offering to pay for it' road.

Welcome to the site.

PP

PS How old are your daughters? :D:lol: :yp: :)

thanks for the welcme mr pieman and as for taking the p@@s markbivvy no inm not. every penny iv ever had has been earned the hard way and im not flush or used to throwin g money about willynilly. i have had to resort to paying for land as there is a real shortage in sussex of decent places to shoot. and being so overcrowded in the south we havnt got the huge acreages available you have up north. paying for a decent shoot will come to your neck of the woods sooner or late whether you like it or not. as for the daughters their 14 and 18 respectively. :<

Guest Mr Pieman

The reason I asked about the ages of the daughters is that Miss Pieman (not to be confused with Lady Pieman) has just started to show a shooting interest and, as I too live in East Sussex, wondered if there was any potential mileage in meeting up with .17 in the future. His girls are a bit old though, Miss Pieman is only 6!

As for the grand buying one of my shoots, its more likely to buy one of mine than one of yours Mr Bivvy - I live within 20 miles of .17!!! Having said that, upset me enough and I'd consider spending a little of my hard earned cash to buy up every bit of shooting land within 50 miles of your house!!!

We all know its hard to come by, none of us want to lose it, but offering curteous advice should always be our aim in life.

The arguement is much bigger than just us. What about the farmers that struggle to make ends meet? Why shouldn't they have the chance to earn a little extra? As you rightfully said its going to get worse as far as paying is concerned in the future. However, ****** all will be achieved by fighting amongst ourselves :)

PP

PS I wouldn't really buy all the land around your house - I hate it up north!!!! Far too near the mother-in-law!!! :D:)

I sympathise to be honest.

You guys out in the country - ok, not in the south east - dont know how hard it is to find land around here. (Im about 25 miles away from .17 Hummer)

Good luck mate, I hope you will be able to find something.

(And if you do, gimme a shout Ill go halfs with you if you like :D )

your right georgehare i was fogetting my manners. i dont know what marks reply if any will be but that not withstanding i add my apologies and really will end this here. its good that we can have a frank and open exchange of views but were both now guilty of making this too personal. just what your average anti would want . mark no hard feelings dan.

not sure about deleting as mark and i .s silly stuff aside this post has brought up some interesting views on whether to pay for a shoot if you cant get one or not. mark is right in a way , that once people start having to pay for land then its a slippery slope and every farmer will think he should charge as every one else is and hes cash strapped. but going the ill get it free somewhere line wont help in an area like sussex where land is at such a premium. now weve both agreed to disagree does anyone else have any thoughts? do many other people on the forum have to pay or been asked by a farmer to pay? dan

stuartp im happy to bow to your superior knowledge of the site stu as this is my first ever post. and didnt intentionaly want to be antagonistic or rude.there are lots of contentious issues around shooting and they need to be aired somewhere .. but you are right perhaps this int the place. wouldnt mind meeting you for a beer sometime mark? my eldest is at manchester uni and i go anmd see her once a month.im originally from rochdale so still got lots o0f ties there. look forward to many more chats in the future. best wishes dan.

We don't mind contentious subjects being aired and debated on this Forum and in fact they are, quite often.

What we must be careful of, is the way we conduct ourselves in these debates.

We all get hot under the collar on certain subjects (even Moderators :D ), but that is the time to think carefully, before putting fingers on keyboards and avoid personal insults.

Generally, everyone is well behaved on here, compared to some Forums (apparently). :lol:

Do unto others what you'll accept being done to yourself..............I'll NEVER,NEVER pay out money to carry out Pest control on land and if money was no object I would'nt dream of pinching a fellow shooters land either .I'd have thought there would be some Hidden and Natural Gentlemens agreement amongst us Shooters that frequent this Forum :/

Alas not always the case I know but it's all about helping each other and sticking together.

.17 hummer

It looks like your post as yielded some fruit ,,,They'll be other opportunities as there are alot of shooters from your area on here so keep posting and relationships will build up :D

Ive

:lol: Welcome to the forum by the way :(

Interesting points guys and welcome to the nuthouse Dan!!

Two points that have 'struck a chord' here.

1. I was lucky enough to be invited out on someone's 'permission at the end of last year. During the chat whilst driving/lamping, it transpired that the landowner was not 'loyal' to any particular shooter. Whoever asked, usually got the go ahead. All he is interested in is keeping the rabbit/foxes down.

My immediate thoughts were to give him a call the next day, but upon reflection, decided not to out of common courtesy to the other shooters.

2. Yes, land in Sussex is very hard to obtain. But that doesn't stop me going to the clay ground and practising. Just on the off-chance that I may get another invite from somebody else and show myself up with the 12g.

I wish I could afford to offer that kind of money to shoot, but then again, it is a double edged sword so to speek.

Please lets not get into the habit of 'flaming' someone on their first postings as is so rife 'across the road'.

Even I admit to posting junk at times, helps to keep me sane.... :thumbs:

Enzo

1. I was lucky enough to be invited out on someone's 'permission at the end of last year. During the chat whilst driving/lamping, it transpired that the landowner was not 'loyal' to any particular shooter. Whoever asked, usually got the go ahead. All he is interested in is keeping the rabbit/foxes down.

My immediate thoughts were to give him a call the next day, but upon reflection, decided not to out of common courtesy to the other shooters.

Did you not get asked again Enzo ?.............Do you think you could approach this fellow who invited you if it was ok to approach the landowner as it's a strange omission to say whoever asked got to shoot so to speak.

It dose'nt matter what part of the country your in .If your confident with an element of cheek,dress accordingly and use the right approach you'll get land ...........It's just a matter of door knocking .....They can only say no .

Even a bit of Cheek on the PM facility here can yield fruit :thumbs:

Ive :wacko:

Interesting replies guy, but - it is only a small patch of land; 18 holes if you know what I mean. And there are already numerous shooters allowed to shoot.

I don't think it would be appropriate for me to suddenly turn up and bump into the person who invited me in the first place!! Could you imagine how busy it would be in the summer?

I wouldn't mind sharing a shoot but when too many people turn up it gets a bit crazy and the qaurry gets very spooked/lamp shy as I discovered.

Does anyone have any shoots they want to share with me?

Good/safe shot, BASC Insurance(for what that's worth), All boundarys/ livestock respected, Blah Blah Blah.....Well, better to try here than on the Land Required section :thumbs: :wacko:

Enzo

P.S. I've just noticed what section this is...Land Required...Doh. :*)

Edited by Enzo

but that is the time to think carefully,  and avoid personal insults.

Generally, everyone is well behaved on here, compared to some Forums (apparently). :thumbs:

What the f*#*ing hell do you know, You *#/?ing smelly a@#e-faced t#*t

keep you big nose out of it.

:wacko: :wacko: :lol::lol:

All my love Dead-Eye. - See you Sat for more of the same :lol::D:D

I can understand the frustration that would lead someone to consider paying for land, it took me months to find land recently, but I still think it's bad form to pay.

Let's not forget we're doing the landowner a favour here, just as much - if not more - than he/she is doing us a favour. I don't see any reason for money to change hands.

Paul

I have some Land in the dales for rabbiting, passed for up to 223 if you want to give me a yell if you don't mind shooting with a yorkshireman :lol:

I went to Lancashire once and when I got back over the border into Yorkshire I got out, kissed the ground and counted my tyres :o

Following on from an earlier post, if I was invited out onto land by someone, I would NEVER approach the landowner without talking to the guy who invited me there in the first place, just me and my morals

It's a certainty .17 that'll you'll get free shooting, especially for the smaller calibres that you mention. Go to your local Farm Store, such as Mole Valley Farmers. Hand out preprinted flyers or cards to the customers coming in and out, generally farmers or farm workers. You'll crack it soon enough saving yourself one grand and not setting a dangerous precedent either into the bargain. :sly: