the bloody dog been fighting

Doc Savage

A dog in hand should look to the pack leader for support in such situations in the first instance, if the leader is in trouble then it is entirely natural for it to wade in.

No can't go for that one sorry, the exeption is if the boss is under attack. I have only owned one fighter (a terrier) and he would never start a fight but needed little provocation.

perhaps you need to re-read doc savages post before slating his dogs, as youre digging yourself into a hole here :rolleyes:

Walking home at dusk a gent walking a springer came into view behind us as we were walking along a path abutted by two stubble fields I had the pup and my wife had the bitch, my wife noted that the gent behind was coming up fast and we should walk onto the field (both dogs on the lead) as we were walking away from the path, the springer, also on a lead started crying, sqeaking and pulling excessively on the lead towards (about six feet) the wife and the bitch, the bitch as she was startled pulled the wife toward the springer, lost the lead and tripped over and a suffle ensued until I pinned my dog down.

sounds to me like the mastiff was wading in to protect docs wife against the springer, which was showing agression towards her :good:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

Kent - we will have to disagree.

I am not saying I would be happy to own dogs who look for a fight. I own two Akitas, one of which has been attacked a number of times and has fought back. I just don't agree with amateur dog psychologists -

pack - leader - the exeption is if the boss is under attack.
Sounds like you are citing something you have read. :rolleyes::good:

I am certainly no expert
- on that we do agree. :lol:

I'm with Ozzy Fudd on this one.

Kent - we will have to disagree.

I am not saying I would be happy to own dogs who look for a fight. I own two Akitas, one of which has been attacked a number of times and has fought back. I just don't agree with amateur dog psychologists - Sounds like you are citing something you have read. :crazy:;)

- on that we do agree. :good:

I'm with Ozzy Fudd on this one.

Make your mind up am i am amature making comment or someone quoting an expert. Akita's hey? usefull :good:

Well be amazed this very weekend a Border terrier with big ideas that belonged to the neighbouring farm had a go and i called him off before actual bloodshed. The breed is not soft but the fighting reputation it holds is due to the small gene pool that once existed in the UK and one stud dog with issues. A dog in hand should look to the pack leader for support in such situations in the first instance, if the leader is in trouble then it is entirely natural for it to wade in.

The owner of perhaps the best stud dog of the breed in the UK has exactly the same idea as do the German authorities on the breed- fighting must not be tollerated. They are hard enough to handle as it is ;)

Interesting that when on a lead it doesn't want to protect you, mine is a softie off the lead, on it if something starts or growls at her she really puts up a good front at wanting to take it on, never has done but wouldn't guarantee she wouldn't. Off the lead no problems doesn't bat an eyelid, though we did have a little issue with the local hoodie that she grabbed :crazy: very unlike her for a very placid dog. They are too big to tollerate fighting per se but there is a big difference between starting fights and defending themselves.

Kent,

All dog's will fight if provoked or feel threatened.if however i owned a dog that went out of it's way to cause a fight i'd seriously think about it's future.i had a springer that used to hate black lab's while on a lead.easy i either went in the opposite direction or let him off the lead(don't know why but he would play with them off a lead :crazy: )

Edited by pegleg31

Interesting that when on a lead it doesn't want to protect you, mine is a softie off the lead, on it if something starts or growls at her she really puts up a good front at wanting to take it on, never has done but wouldn't guarantee she wouldn't. Off the lead no problems doesn't bat an eyelid, though we did have a little issue with the local hoodie that she grabbed :crazy: very unlike her for a very placid dog. They are too big to tollerate fighting per se but there is a big difference between starting fights and defending themselves.

Think you got my point a fighter in a GWP or any large breed is a potential liability mine can look directly into my face and is well aware how to finish big game animals, this needs as much if not greater respect than a firearm as you cannot just unload a dog- going about with a known fighter is like going around with a loaded gun with a hair trigger

I feel for the owner of the mastive as he seems an honest bloke but if you handle such a dog they do come with more responsibilities than a jack russel

if you dont trust that the bloke is quoting the right figure from the vets, get his name and which vets he used and phone up and pay, unless he's the senior partners best mate you should be told the true amount.

all dogs can fight but some enjoy it and go looking for it, my 2 year old lab has never shown any sign of aggression but defended himself more than admirably when attacked by a bigger stronger dog but as soon as the threat had been sent packing he returned to his normal temperament, thats the difference between a normal dog and a vicious dog, just my opinion though.

you probably cant blame the spaniel owner or his dog for its behavior, maybe for not keeping clear if his dog has issues, and you wifes dog was just defending her, as they all will

mikee