Teague Chokes

Axe

Having recently bought a Beretta Urika 391, its been suggested I fit a 'decent' choke to it. Among others Teague seems to be the fairly trusted but also fairly expensive. So before I part with my hard earned cash, I wonder if the fountain of knowledge that is PW, offer any advice to this novice gun.

I'll be using it on crow and pigeon and perhaps a very occasional clay. So the two questions are:

1) 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 ?

2) Flush (£22.50), Extended (£27.00) or Ported (£43.60) ?

having bought the same gun last year, it came with the extended optima chokes, and to be honest they pattern as well as anything else i've seen aftermarket, the urika runs an optima (backbored o/s ) with the combo of chokes supplied ive seen great results in solid patterns and few holes.

Axe, id try the supplied first before changing out the skeet choke will nock down any bird up to 25 yds comfortably and sporting clays the Imp Cyl will suffice .

:D:)

Martin

Axe,

LE is dead right on this one, absolutely nothing wrong with the chokes supplied with the gun, why bother with Teague's - you won't hit any more birds..!!

IMHO 1/2 choke is a tad too tight for general Pigeon Shooting, I tend to stick with 1/4 Optima choke for decoying, which is plenty.

The only time you will need more is when flight shooting high birds.

Catamong

Thanks for the replies guys, I should also add that the gun was bought secondhand at a great price, which meant it only came with a single 3/4 choke.

Looks like its gonna be 1/4 or 1/2. Would wanting to shoot Duck and Geese at a later stage affect the choke choice? What other purpose does the Ported and Extended choke provide, besides mucking the barrel up?

:D

Axe, my personal interpretation of the ported chokes, other than an aid in stripping the wad from the shot string very little, the primary purpose of porting was to reduce muzzle flip :- therfore aiding the ability of second shot target aqusition, this would only apply to angle porting, i.e redirecting the muzzle blast upwards against the natural tendacy of the barrels movement , most chokes with porting have EDM'd over the entire circumference, im told it has a stabalising effect on the gun as its fired (cough b*****t* i say) i dont find any difference at all. so back to it , one other advantage is the longer sighting plane that some people notice, having the longer barrel to swing (methinks this is more in the mind than fact ) though the speed at muzzle will be affected,if your quick it may help you to control muzzle speed better.

enough my grey matters fried :) hope this helps you Axe :D

Martin

i have used the hangy out berreta chokes for a good while now, every now and then i shoot my dads 391 teknys gold, ive probably put 1500 carts through it, and cant honestly say ive found anything apart from anoyance from them. they dont effect shooting, but they come undone v easily. its not just this gun, almost every berreta owner around here (with a few odd exceptions) is constantly checking the tightness of them. over the space of 10 birds they can come undone (just 1/4 of a turn).

i have no explanation for it, i was told by someone that it was to do with over tightening, but the number of guns i have seen with this issue leads me to believe its not just to do with over tightening.

they look pretty yes, but im not convinced that in the scheme of things, unless your shooting very competitively it will make any difference in your shooting.

i know someone who has one ported choke and one knarled extended choke (in a browning) and every time after he shoots, he undoes his chokes and the ported choke has covered the extended one in residue, i cant help but laugh. it dosent even look any good.

apparently the longer chokes compliment back-bored barrels better than the shorter, flush fitting ones as well. i dont understand how but i believe browning have an article on it on their website.

TLE, im like you, i havent noticed any reduction in muzzle flip or recoil to to the ported chokes. i just know they can wreak havoc on the blueing near the muzzle :<

i have used the hangy out berreta chokes for a good while now, every now and then i shoot my dads 391 teknys gold, ive probably put 1500 carts through it, and cant honestly say ive found anything apart from anoyance from them. they dont effect shooting, but they come undone v easily. its not just this gun, almost every berreta owner around here (with a few odd exceptions) is constantly checking the tightness of them. over the space of 10 birds they can come undone (just 1/4 of a turn).

i have no explanation for it, i was told by someone that it was to do with over tightening, but the number of guns i have seen with this issue leads me to believe its not just to do with over tightening.

they look pretty yes, but im not convinced that in the scheme of things, unless your shooting very competitively it will make any difference in your shooting.

i know someone who has one ported choke and one knarled extended choke (in a browning) and every time after he shoots, he undoes his chokes and the ported choke has covered the extended one in residue, i cant help but laugh. it dosent even look any good.

love the use of techno terms Nick :):):lol: hangy out berreta chokes .

one knarled extended choke (in a browning)

methinks knurled

as to the constant need to tighten, if you look at the thread profile of a berreta choke you will see a straight sided thread, the mechanics of this style of thread makes it easy to assemble/dissassemble its tendancy to lock is very remote, it ,as far as berreta are concerned is the easiest thread to use with a larger amount of leaniency in tolerance, therefore making the chokes very interchangeable and cheaper to manufacture, browning use a standard ISO 60 degree thread form allowing the flanks to engage and lock, but loosen them on a regular bassis or reap the concequence's.

As to the longer tubes, most run around 3-4 inches (the more common lengths)

of which 1/2 is tapered and the other 1/2 parrallel, this is supposed to improove shot patterns, the mechanics are that the shot after imedoate compression is allowed to reform and relax in the parrallel (straight) part of the tube, thus creating a more uniform pattern, again wether this is gosspel will only tell in your bag or score card, personaly i do find a difference when targetting.

1/ the longer tubes give me a smoother swing (mental i'm sure, but it works )

i use only 30" barrels for very close quarry and targets, otherwise 32" all the way

or 30's with tubes .

2 / they do control muzzle speed, having a longer gun to swing you need to push it

3/ in my years at target ive tried a hell of a lot of combinations, testing everything i can get my grubby little mitts on, i can honestly say my longer tubes do give me a better pattern, ive stood at a station shooting 40/50 of the same targets getting a feel to the combo then changing up to differing tubes or barrle combos, then analyze the results, ive found the combos that work for me in the targets i shoot can be applied to the field and the birds i seek.

its all personal preferance i know but we can all learn from others right :D i know i am.

Martin

Don't get bogged down in all this Axe it's all b*ll*x 'at the end of the day' mate :)

Ported barrels, polished forcing cones, in, out, shake it all about, chokes, just helps sell guns, how else can you sell something to someone who already has one??

Who else can remeber evry one and their dog rushing out to buy Beretta 682's with ported barrels, becuase nothing else would do? Where are all those guns now?

Get a 'normal' 1/4 and 1/2 and get shooting.

That's my technical input :D

How come fixed choke guns pattern very nicely without the aid of all this science??

Edited by stuartp

****, I knew I should have charged more for that gun... :D:)

Now Parker, where's my box of extended, diamond polished, hangy out things?

Time for a quick blast at the range then into the club for a swift G&T.

Have fun matey. :)

Enzo

Well its been a very good read indeed guys, thanks once again. My conclusion is that I will invest in a 1/4 and 1/2 Teague Chokes. Both will be 'Hangy Out' (Extended) for their ease of changing in the field and for those frightening threads we see pop up once in a while 'choke stuck solid'. I'll let you know how I get on, if anyone is interested of course.

Thanks once again. :D

Edited by Axe