stuck choke in laurona o/u 12 bore

flash

i have a laurona over and under with 5 chokes and i want to change them. the top barrels choke comes out fine but the bottom barrel is stuck and wont come out. what should i do, pliers or take it to a gunsmiths.

ps the choke remover that comes with it is weird and doesnt help

PLEASE help

flash

Flash,

Have you tried a good overnight soaking in WD40 or penetrating oil..??

I'm also told that a little gentle heat will often help.

Don't use pliers, as the choke tubes can be easily bent.

Most good gunsmiths will be able to get it out in a jiffy - they see these all the time, and before you put the choke back in, thoroughly clean both sets of threads, and use a little Briley choke grease.

When you've done all of that, sell the gun, as you obviously don't need a multichoke..!!

Catamong.

Things to try as stated soak in oil over night by that I mean barrel down in to a recepticle that is just wide enough to take the barrels. and fill with oil to over the depth of the choke and leave over night. On the heat Idea I would be very carefull not to change the state of the barrel so that means dont get the barrel above around 500C which is to easily done with a heat gun or oxy acetaline kit.

I personaly would go down this road if the oil fails

Freeze and release

Dave

PS First I would try a more posative key if possible

I would go with the deisel idea or parafin, heating a shotgun barrel should be the last resort, remember the barrels are only soldered or brazed together.

The decent key is also very good advice, I used Teague chokes and they spin in on out just by sticking my finger down the middle, they don't even have slots to stick a key in, so maybe overtightening is a bigger crime than not cleaning regularly - I am not a ultra keen shotgun or rifle cleaner :*)

ditto paulos and stuartp, deisel is your best bet , personaly an absolute no with the wd40 , leaves a residue that will stick better than it is now, you shoudnt have water in there so no need for wd :D , clean the tubes when removed and dont forget small stiff brass brush in the barrels clean them threads out too, no brush use your tooth brush , serves you right for leaving them in so long, clean your teeth after :):)

Martin