Weighing pellets...

Shooting Tigers

Hi,

I am running chrono tests on my new HW100TK with a Combro 625 (recommended in a previous thread).

I want to know what sort of variation I am getting in pellet weights as well as muzzle velocity.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an accurate weighing machine for weighing .177 pellets to a tenth of a grain? I have seen mechanical and electronic ones on youtube, but no brand names, or any indication of how accurate they are.

What are you guys using?

Cheers,

Rob

Weights do vary and "generally" more so with the cheaper brands, top level target shooters go to a lot of time and expense getting it right as a fraction of a grain can mean the difference of winning or being second.

For most mere mortals out hunting a decent pellet that likes the barrel is more than they require, and people are often more unreliable than their tools anyway!.

Batch weighing is also a good way to get a mean pellet weight!

VERY VERY accurate scales/weights are not that easy, who calibrates the scales, see if you can check several together before you buy and note any variations. :oops:

If you want this level of accuracy you will be well advised to wash and dry pellets first to!

ATB!

I would be interested to hear what you buy in the end and your feelings on it.

Cheers :blush:

Hi, Dekers,

How would you wash pellets without deforming the skirts, etc? If you shake/roll/tumble them in a container, does the risk of skirt damage outweigh the gains in "clean" pellets? Should they just be flushed under running water without shaking/tumbling them?

I have started using JSB Exacts in my new HW100TK. So far I have only shot about 70 pellets, but I have found two with deformed skirts already.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi, Dekers,

How would you wash pellets without deforming the skirts, etc? If you shake/roll/tumble them in a container, does the risk of skirt damage outweigh the gains in "clean" pellets? Should they just be flushed under running water without shaking/tumbling them?

I have started using JSB Exacts in my new HW100TK. So far I have only shot about 70 pellets, but I have found two with deformed skirts already.

Cheers,

Rob

Sorry, I have no idea, never done it but there are those out there who do it all the time, many lube as well.

Not for me, AA field in 5.51 does everything I want straight out of the tin.

And that has me thinking.... AA used to supply in plastic containers, but they have been metal for a while now, that makes a change, everyone seems to be dropping metal and going plastic, not the other way round!!! :lol:

PS

I understand JSB exacts are AA Field (and probably a few others as well)! :blush: I'm sure someone will put me straight if things have changed.

Edited by Dekers