Snipe

Fisherman Mike

Heres me with my BTO and RSPB hat on..... I appeal to fellow PW members not to shoot these waders...

Their numbers are in decline in many areas and breeding success rates are low.

(Nothing Personal JONO)

If you feel you are hungry enough to need to shoot one PM me with your address and I will send you a couple of frozen pigeon.

Cheers.

FM.

Are there numbers low in all areas ?

I have seen large numbers on the Marsh for the last few years.

There also seems to have been an increase in the number of Golden Plovers and Woodcock.

It may be that there usual habitat is reducing in some areas, but where the country suits them they are flourishing.

I haven't shot any for years, but that goes for hares, teal and widgeon as well.

No major reason, just that I don't see as many of them around here as I would like to. :lol:

There are record numbers in northern ireland this year, never seen so many before, even in places you'd never see snipe before. I was talking to someone recently and they reckoned 2-3million snipe come to the UK each year, the bag returns are reckoned by BASC to be 15,000, which say even if you double it shows shooting doesn't make an impact. Not many people bother shooting them over in ireland.

Mike,

Just in case you hadn't seen...

"Mike...got to be honest and say that whilst it was a testing shot and I'll invariably enjoy the bird there simply isn't enough meat on the bird to make it worthwhile unless one went in for wholesale slaughter - and that's just not me or any responsible hunter!

I s'pose I can put the tick in the box in terms of having bagged one (or two) and leave the rest in peace.

Guess that just leaves me teal and mallard... it'll do.

Best regards to you and yours... I've been beating over your way recently near Uley and looking forward to some fishing now I've joined Charfield AA.

Had a good season?"

No offence taken - had no idea they were on the decline down here.

J

We've got good numbers of woodcock but seem to be getting fewer and fewer snipe. Personally I don't shoot at snipe, never have done.

Norfolk & East Anglia shows one of the worst area of decline.

FM.

Mike

Hear what you're saying and agree, we don't wanna go the way of the (sea) fishing fleet, but someone forgot to tell the snipe here (Norfolk/Suffolk). Sat on one particular marsh early morning and evening lately and the place is jumping with snipe. Shoot a bit in Scotland and the islands also and snipe numbers there were the best recorded of late.

Woodcock shooting this year in Scotland was the best ever so I guess it's a locality based thing. Would agree though, if it's rare in an area leave it alone.

As for eating, you need a good bag just to get a mouthful! Guts in, beak to skewer on toast...delicious.

Thanks FM,just one thing,I can`t find any details of Scotland or Ireland??

Not being funny but where are the details from here??it may be my(lack of)IT skills but I couldn`t find any on the link.If I`ve missed it many apologies,can you give me the link?

Ill try....

2005 reports should be with me soon.

FM.

Great website though.... the old BTO isnt it :thumbs:?:wacko:

Snipe
Where did you get your info from FM?

BTO census Bulletins

mmmm...it's 3/4 years out of date and I'll also risk the comment that as a shooter who spends a lot of time watching and seeing what goes on (I've seen things avian most twitchers would give their right arm to see) there's a lot more out there than gets seen by most people.

19 pairs of Curlew east of a line from the Wash to the Solent???...I could show you fields full of them round here at the moment and East Anglia is east of that line isn't it? Actually EA is east of pretty well anywhere :thumbs: Wanna to see Barnicle Geese without going to the Scotish islands???

Well an interesting post. I shoot the occasional snipe, as in one or two per season, and do not think that shooting in the UK has any affect on the breeding population. Snipe, woodcock, golden plover and curlew are all birds where the winter population is many many times that of the breeding population due to migrants coming over in the autumn. The chances of any snipe you shoot being part of the local breeding population is pretty small. As with so many birds habitat degredation has far more to do with the reduced breeding population.

Now although I think that shooting has very little affect on the population viability of the snipe there is one quarry species that I do regard as very vulnerable to shooting and should not be shot under most circumstances. That bird is the wild grey partridge. Unless your ground is dripping in them then they should be left alone. Their numbers have plummeted since the war and the decline still continues. They will be pairing up about now and are basically already on their breeding territory. Any grey partridge shot now could vey well be depriving you of a full covey in the same place next season. The Game Conservancy has been doing great work in trying to understand the decline of the partridge and how to resurrect the population as a common quarry species. Their advice (i think) is not to shoot wild grey partridge unless you have a minimum of 25 birds per 100 acres. And only then if you employ the full suite of partridge conservation measures, such as predator control, habitat creation, winter and spring feeding etc. In brief good old fashioned partridge keepering. Grey partridges are fantastic birds and if conditions are right have the capabilty to increase greatly in number. Holding fire now can reap dividends in years to come.

Well an interesting post. I shoot the occasional snipe, as in one or two per season, and do not think that shooting in the UK has any affect on the breeding population. Snipe, woodcock, golden plover and curlew are all birds where the winter population is many many times that of the breeding population due to migrants coming over in the autumn. The chances of any snipe you shoot being part of the local breeding population is pretty small. As with so many birds habitat degredation has far more to do with the reduced breeding population.

Now although I think that shooting has very little affect on the population viability of the snipe there is one quarry species that I do regard as very vulnerable to shooting and should not be shot under most circumstances. That bird is the wild grey partridge. Unless your ground is dripping in them then they should be left alone. Their numbers have plummeted since the war and the decline still continues. They will be pairing up about now and are basically already on their breeding territory. Any grey partridge shot now could vey well be depriving you of a full covey in the same place next season. The Game Conservancy has been doing great work in trying to understand the decline of the partridge and how to resurrect the population as a common quarry species. Their advice (i think) is not to shoot wild grey partridge unless you have a minimum of 25 birds per 100 acres. And only then if you employ the full suite of partridge conservation measures, such as predator control, habitat creation, winter and spring feeding etc. In brief good old fashioned partridge keepering. Grey partridges are fantastic birds and if conditions are right have the capabilty to increase greatly in number. Holding fire now can reap dividends in years to come.

I agree. I have a healthy number on my permission but will not shoot them as farmer and I like them. Hope others do the same.

LB

Hi FM. In County Down we have alot of Snipe and Jack Snipe if you know where to look. I have shot many. In fact, I spend two or three days every season tramping inland marshes after them with my cocker spaniels. The overwintering population has certainly not dropped in my estimation. However, you can be damned sure that the breeding population has suffered from loss of habitat. Reponsible guns in N Ireland are supporting their farmers to get countryside managment grants that make it pay to save bogland!!!!! All the best guys. :thumbs: I love the little *******, The only thing that comes close is a good flight of teal on windy night....