Japanese Akita

Cosd

Haven't got a clue what goes in in your mind or what you are prattling about.

Pedantic?? Look in a mirror.

Let it go, unless you really are a pedant. :good::yes:

a bit of pot and kettle and black going on here, seems to me the only sense being said is dont have one of these things, why would you want something like that in your house, :lol:

could it be a bit like having the biggest speedboat, a substitute thing going on :lol:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a bit of pot and kettle and black going on here, seems to me the only sense being said is dont have one of these things, why would you want something like that in your house, :good:

could it be a bit like having the biggest speedboat, a substitute thing going on :yes:

the only people saying dont have one are those that have no first hand experience with them. people who have never actually lived with one!

they are basing their opinions on what they have heard.

i love the breed and as long as i can help it will never be without an akita!

they are noble, loyal, loving dogs held in extremely high regard by those who own them, are a source of national pride in their home land.

they are a breed that would die to protect their owners and i sleep well at night knowing mine is downstairs ever ready to protect all that i hold dear.

DSC00154.jpg

the only people saying dont have one are those that have no first hand experience with them. people who have never actually lived with one!

they are basing their opinions on what they have heard.

i love the breed and as long as i can help it will never be without an akita!

they are noble, loyal, loving dogs held in extremely high regard by those who own them, are a source of national pride in their home land.

they are a breed that would die to protect their owners and i sleep well at night knowing mine is downstairs ever ready to protect all that i hold dear.

DSC00154.jpg

That's a nice looking dog AJ

That's a nice looking dog AJ

thanks mate, thats milo. my dads dog and my dogs brother, he is 5 months old in that pic and quite possibly the softest most affectionate dog i have ever met.

his two best friends are my mothers cats and he shares his bed with them and practically drowns them with his 'kisses'. out on walks with my akita both dogs are completely uninterested in other dogs or people, if he sees someone he dosent like the look of he will lean into you and move you out of the way putting himself between you and them.

dispite his soft nature with family he is a fantastic guard dog. he never barks unless absolutely necessary. my dad is a caretaker at our local school and some of the local yobs used to think it was theirs to use and abuse... however one grunt from milo and anyone considering scaling the fence knows he means business.

a bit of pot and kettle and black going on here, seems to me the only sense being said is dont have one of these things, why would you want something like that in your house, :good:

could it be a bit like having the biggest speedboat, a substitute thing going on :good:

it is a bit strange, if you look at the mildest views on here and on the owners forums you find the general advice to introduce anyone new carefully to them in their home environment as they will attack first and ask questions later, then you get that they are ok with your own children but be very careful of children that visit etc. I mean that sounds like a nightmare dog to own if you have any friends ok if no one visits and you like the edge of having something like a time bomb on a lead but is it really a pet. No functional use other than guard dog, wouldn't you prefer something that wasn't a liability and would come shooting with you and you can actually let off the lead COSD?

aj85 - very true about the barking. Ours do not bark unless someone steps on to the end of my drive, or walks up next door's path. They stop when the person leaves.

We have neighbours over the road with Norwegian Elkhounds which bark incessantly and another with a Collie and GSD, which don't bark as often as the Elkhounds, but more than enough.

it is a bit strange, if you look at the mildest views on here and on the owners forums you find the general advice to introduce anyone new carefully to them in their home environment as they will attack first and ask questions later, then you get that they are ok with your own children but be very careful of children that visit etc. I mean that sounds like a nightmare dog to own if you have any friends ok if no one visits and you like the edge of having something like a time bomb on a lead but is it really a pet. No functional use other than guard dog, wouldn't you prefer something that wasn't a liability and would come shooting with you and you can actually let off the lead COSD?

I totally hear what you are saying, but on paper my previous dogs were of similar nature to these dogs weren't they? My Bullmastif cross Rottie was a bitch and was a much easier dog to dominate, in fact I would go as far as to say she was extremely submissive not only to me but my wife and girls even though they were young; My Dobbermann on the other hand was an alpha male in every sense of the word, and he really made me work hard so I had the status of top dog in the household. Both animals turned out to be good family pets, and as long as we (me and my family) were around we never had to lock them up when people came round. The only thing we worried about was their size and the fact that if they wanted to play, children could easily be knocked over.

I'm not sure I agree that these "types" of dogs can't make good pets, but I do understand that they are not everybody's idea of what a pet should be like, as many people have quite rightly pointed out these do need that much more care; This is no different to me not understanding how a snake, rat, spider, lizards etc are a pet!!

Edited by Cosd

Personally I'd say these are a step up from your rottie and doberman I guess its hard to understand why you'd want a dog you couldn't place any trust in but takes all sorts. I like having a big softie about that I don't have to worry about when at home or out, having had two terriers I had to keep on leads most of the time its a very pleasant change.

Brother In Law has one, unbelievable dog but you need to go into the owning of one with eyes wide open, he has learnt as he has gone, his dog is great if greeted correctly with strangers. guards but is not down right aggressive, in all fairness is awful with other dogs, and 85 % of the time is walked on the lead.

I think the skill to owning an Akita lies in the owners hands, these dogs are not child killers or generally a poor breed which are full of work. These dogs in my opinion are too intelligent for many owners out there and there dominance rises with poor owners.., THIS IS THE PROBLEM, dog ownership, not the breed of the dog.

RS

American/Japanese are just the looks... Toka is, form what i was told, more of an American looking Akita. Milo appears to be more of the Japanese look.

from my own experience the japanese version has a shorter muzzle, and quite a 'puffy' appearance....the american has a slighlty longer muzzle and the coat seems not to stand out as much....

probably not expalining it well but when you see two akitas next to each other you can usually tell what type they are..

someone else may find a better diffinition...

atb

American/Japanese are just the looks... Toka is, form what i was told, more of an American looking Akita. Milo appears to be more of the Japanese look.

from my own experience the japanese version has a shorter muzzle, and quite a 'puffy' appearance....the american has a slighlty longer muzzle and the coat seems not to stand out as much....

probably not expalining it well but when you see two akitas next to each other you can usually tell what type they are..

atb

Spoiling for a fight? :good:

Quite right, stop the personal sniping, or all posts from warring parties will be deleted.

As the above request was ignored, some content has been deleted from this thread.

If you want to snipe at other members, then do it via PM. That way your target can block you and none of us have to read it.

UK Poacher - there is no skirting around this horrific attack. I think the paper has gone over the top with dangerous dogs - it usually is a terrier or Rotty - but what was the owner thinking of. A dog he had owned for a couple of days, chained to a wall - but lets anyone near it. Irresponsible does not do it justice. I can't believe the dog has not already been put down and the owners need banning from owning any dog.

The comments under the article are well balanced - with no witch hunt.

Can I say - thanks. It was clearly not an article that Akita owners would relish, but you just posted the link without comment. It made your point better than some of the diatribes we have had.

UK Poacher - there is no skirting around this horrific attack. I think the paper has gone over the top with dangerous dogs - it usually is a terrier or Rotty - but what was the owner thinking of. A dog he had owned for a couple of days, chained to a wall - but lets anyone near it. Irresponsible does not do it justice. I can't believe the dog has not already been put down and the owners need banning from owning any dog.

The comments under the article are well balanced - with no witch hunt.

Can I say - thanks. It was clearly not an article that Akita owners would relish, but you just posted the link without comment. It made your point better than some of the diatribes we have had.

There are several breeds of dog that seem to feature in this type of incident. There is no getting way from the fact that the Akita is one of them. That is why I believe the original poster would be foolish to buy one without knowing a little more than they make cuddly puppies.