silver pigeon 20g

TX Sniper

hi guys, been a while since i last posted but have been mad busy over xmas working, drinking, etc the usual. anyway have just got a new beretta silver pigeon 20g and as i have not shot 20g before i am unsure as to whch cart is the best. i know some people on here use them so i thought id ask to see what the general concencous was. will be used for everything. hope everyone is having a good season. jim

Hi Jim,

I have just acquired a 20 for my son and bought 500 gamebore competition 8's, cheap as chips and they seemed to pattern OK againgst the old chicken shed I shot at the weekend :lol:

I got fibre wads, and the only thing I will say is they make the barrel pretty filthy, I don't know if the plastics are any better.

I only use a 20g for game, so I've spent years trying to find the best cartridges. I used to be a fan of Winchesters, but they are as rare as rocking horse ****, and expensive to boot.

I agree with Sam F about the RC T3 28g cartridges - they're superb, cheap and very quick. They also have a high brass head on the case, which seems to help with ejection. I also like the Express HV Game.

For some reason, Hull and Gamebore give more recoil, which isn't great in a lightweight 20g game gun. If you have money coming out of your ears, the Eley "VIP" 20g cartridge is very good.

I vote RC, or Express.

If your gun is light, or recoil is an issue you shouldn't even be looking at 28grm cartridges, if you want to shoot them you may as well get a field weight 12bore.

Most regular 20 bore shooters never use any more than 24grms cartridges, there has been a fair bit written about this already in the shooting press.

Many of the best sprting shots there are use 20bores, there is no problem with their ability to drop game almost as well as a 12bore.

The point I was trying to make, not aimed at any of you boys, is that many shooters change to 20bores to get away from the weight and punch from a 12 bore and then feed them 28gram loads which means they are back to square one :*)

I have witnessed an awesome clay shot (who apparently is even better at pigeons) drop everything that was thrown up for him with a 20bore, and he says he would never use anything bigger then 24gram loads for exactly that reason.

I have a couple of beretta's , a 12g 686e and a 20g 686s, and i enjoy shooting them both.

I find that the 20g is unfussy about cartridges and i shoot with both Hull Cartridge Pro Twentys Size 7.5 24g load and with Express Size 7 25g load. I use both of these for clay shoots and they do a great job. They are both a light load so gentle on the shoulder, but with more than enough to dust off difficult clays.

With the 12g 686 I use Express High Velocity 28g and they are quick, but they leave quite a bit of residue in the barrells. They work though and they're reasonably priced so I use them, and always clean my guns anyway.

BTW all fibre wads. :)