Bruised cheek...Treatment..?

TonySmith

I copped my first real slap 2 weeks ago, a combination of bad mounting and some naff cartridges, really whacked the underside of my cheekbone. hurt for a few days, then eased off, thought I would be ok but today I could only manage 20 birds, that was enough, really painfull.

Anyone know of any treatments to help the healing process along...?

Bit miffed...I am going to buy my new gun next weekend.....and was hoping to have a 'full slab' session :good::sly::hmm:

ATB

Tony

Friend of mine fitted one of these clear gel comfort pads

that wraps around the stock about 20 quid,still whacked him

until he found out the stock was nearly an inch too short

and was slipping out of the shoulder on firing,he got a

kickeze extension fitted and has no problems now. :good:

Cheek bone wacking is usually a symptom of bad gun fit and/or poor mount.

Gun too low in the shoulder and head dropped to the comb.

Nasty carts with quick detonation of powder don't help - better powders are progressive and give more of a push than a slap, and recoil is also directly related to the load size, action and reaction.

So, sort the stance and mount, and use a cartridge with a progressive powder like Vectan ( Express) or similar, and go for 24g instead of 28g.

If you still need something, stock guards in neoprene, or even just a mouse pad cut and contact glued on the comb can give a softer area of contact.

As far as the existing bruise is concerned, don't aggravate it with more damage. Time and the usual gels and ointments, hot and cold compresses are all you can do.

As Clayman says - its a combination of poor fit and/or poor mount. I suffer this problem whenever I shoot any Beretta O/U. Doesn't matter how good the fit is supposed to be, it still whacks me something ridiculous.

If you get the gun fitted correctly, and your mount is correct, and it is still doing it, a Cheek-eez pad can save your cheekbones from the pain when all else fails.

This was a problem I had around 10 years back with one particular shotgun.

I kept smacking my cheekbone and it hurt like hell.

There is NO magical medical cure I know of but you must resolve the problem quickly or it will effect your shooting, as you know you are going to get hurt.

The problem is wrong mount, which is very often caused by poor gun fit.

I'm not sure how naff cartridges could do this, if it fitted, and you were holding it correctly any "heavy" carts would simply knock you round a bit, the gun should not jump up and hit you in the face!

ATB!!

Edited by Dekers