springer advice

squarnog

can anyone offer some advice please.my spaniel bitch is now 7.5 months,her training is coming on well.the problem is when out for some training in the field she is getting too hot ,not responding to the whistle as i would like,the minute she gets any scent of game.she tends to loose her head and go to far. she is a cracking worker but need to sort this out maybe wise to keep the dog away from fields and stick to the back garden for a few more months.the minute she doesnt respond i am out there like a shot correcting her,but seem to be getting nowhere.she is at the level where she carrys feather ,fur,sorted with gun,walks to heal off lead ,etc,etc everything really,she has come on really well but for getting to hot.ps i mean she is only getting to see a little game will not get a proper shoot untill next season.

Get a friend or two to help you......you need to work this dog on a long line....25 yards.....while out hunting. While on the line you will have control of her. This means leave your gun home and work the dog while some one else does the shooting. Go out rough shooting as often as you can like this, allowing the dog to work the field areas, and along the hedge rows. Do not try to work inside the hedges while she is training on the line. Get her to quarter, and respond to the whistle, and expose her to all the game that you can.

NTTF

thanks for your reply new to the flock,i didnt quiet explain my problem.she responds quiet well away from hedges on scenty ground where rabbits have been, not to bad at all for her age.will get better over coming months.i see where your coming from though using long line to keep control,the problem is is when she's in the cover. maybe will be better staying away and keeping more in the open untill shes had a few more months training i dont really know.maybe she thinks she's in cover i cant see or hear her and thinks she can get away with it.a pal of mine has suggested i let her go a bit ,give her that little bit of freedom and then try and get her back in.i personally think by doing this i will loose her ,putting me back a couple of months.

personally I would continue to train her. By working her in the fields, and the cover can be thick, on the long line you will gain the control that you need.

The problem is most people are not willing to give up there hunting to finish training their dog, and then they wonder why they get frustrated .

NTTF