Goose drive

TJ91

Here it is.. on 1 of the smaller farms i shoot over there is a good few geese on 1 of the grass fields, thing is i cant flight them as they come from a local lake over a few fields (of which is keepered land and i am unable to shoot over during the winter months) then over a row of houses and into the middle of a big field 9i can shoot them on), they do not flight over any hedge that isnt close to houses so i cannot get under the flightline, i thought about sticking up a semi-permanent hide in the middle of the field for them to get used to then sit in it and hope i could get them from there but the farmer doesnt want any hides left in his field unattended as some of the kids from the village have a tendancy to come over to any new 'interesting' object and either burn it down or camp in it :rolleyes:

i climbed through the hedge from the village the other day and walked towards them, when they took off they went straight away from me and over the woods opposite the village before circuling back round and clearing off to the field at the back of the houses, i went back that way 2 hours later and back they were in the same place so i did it again, they followed the same flightpath over the woods and then back round in the big circle to the field behind the village.

i went down this morning and sure enough there they were, this time i walked from 1 side and put them up, they went exactly as the day before, over the woods and circuled back over to the village..

so what i am thinking is getting sat in the ditch by the edge of the woods where they have flown everytime and getting someone to walk them off for me, in the hope that they follow the same flightline and come over me for a shot!?

I have never heard of or seen this been done so wondered if it was allowed?

any other ideas on how to get a go at them would be appreciated!?

have driven geese and had geese driven to me on a few occasions, it can be done but a huge lump of luck is involved also, absolutely awesome when it goes right, or just get to the field before the geese in the morning and lay out in the middle, have done that a few times, once had about 2000 pinks try to land on me, as the geese come in there's loads of noise and for about a second after they know youre there all goes silent before even more racket,

get at em mate as soon as the season starts

mikee

have been sat very close to huge amounts of pinks and greylags in scotland, that noise is amazing!

there isnt a huge amount, maybe 20-30 but i would like to try the drive, my little sister has offered to run them off, even if i dont get a shot first time, i know they will be back after a few hours so will keep trying till i get a shot or they ****** off!

Here it is.. on 1 of the smaller farms i shoot over there is a good few geese on 1 of the grass fields, thing is i cant flight them as they come from a local lake over a few fields (of which is keepered land and i am unable to shoot over during the winter months) then over a row of houses and into the middle of a big field 9i can shoot them on), they do not flight over any hedge that isnt close to houses so i cannot get under the flightline, i thought about sticking up a semi-permanent hide in the middle of the field for them to get used to then sit in it and hope i could get them from there but the farmer doesnt want any hides left in his field unattended as some of the kids from the village have a tendancy to come over to any new 'interesting' object and either burn it down or camp in it :angry:

i climbed through the hedge from the village the other day and walked towards them, when they took off they went straight away from me and over the woods opposite the village before circuling back round and clearing off to the field at the back of the houses, i went back that way 2 hours later and back they were in the same place so i did it again, they followed the same flightpath over the woods and then back round in the big circle to the field behind the village.

i went down this morning and sure enough there they were, this time i walked from 1 side and put them up, they went exactly as the day before, over the woods and circuled back over to the village..

so what i am thinking is getting sat in the ditch by the edge of the woods where they have flown everytime and getting someone to walk them off for me, in the hope that they follow the same flightline and come over me for a shot!?

I have never heard of or seen this been done so wondered if it was allowed?

any other ideas on how to get a go at them would be appreciated!?

Just a thought try calling them towards you :(

Just a thought try calling them towards you :angry:

they are dead set on that bit in the centre of the field, i have no decoys and sold my call the other day as i never used it :(

my little sister will walk them off and if they dont come over will try again another day

1st of sept will be a good day for me, estuary then goose drive, then estuary, thankgod my boss lets me take days off for shooting!

the layout blind looks good but i think i will try the drive before i spend too much money!

Edited by TJ91

hessian sacking works as well. rub it up in mud and grass to colour it. staple a pocket so you can slide a bamboo cane down it. you use this to trow open the blind and get on the birds, if you put a camp mat down on the deck first then a piece of sacking the you lay on that and then more sacking on top. make it like a sleeping bag but don't close the on side.

I may be able to lend you some deeks TJ.

What kind of geese are they?

Rental is £1.10 by the way.

i will try the mini drive idea first but if that fails i may have to borrow!

they are all greylags but have big skeins of canadas goin over another part of the farm every night, might be worth trying to decoy them as they are always fairly low!

that 1.10 each or just 1.10 for a few :angry:

Edited by TJ91

£1.10 will get you more goose decoys than you can carry, greylag and the most realistic canada decoys I have ever seen, full bodied fully flocked, they are the dogs whatsits.

The pennies will be in my pocket everytime i visit that estuary!!

Going down tonight infact for a quick look about, will be leaving work in 5mins and will be on my way!

Edited by TJ91

post-23668-1282888320.jpg

It does work!

We have a little rough shoot and after that we have a cup off tea, change chokes and shells etc.

Then go and sit under the flight line back to the lake they are on, one of lads takes a stroll to a field they offen decend on,

Then up they go, it is a little hit and miss but very good sport at the end of the day. Those 5 were two pairs and then one come around once more to find his place on the bonnet.........

TEH