first air rifle

benisbob

i have just brought my first airrifle a xs78 co2 air rifle for £77 i am have a place that i can go shooting and i am hoping to go get some rabbits one night once i get it sighted in and get a lamp set up..

any advice to get me started with rabbit shooting or lamping would be great.

Practice!

Get used to the pellets and the distances.

Don't rush into lamping before you can cope in daylight, it is much harder on many levels!

so you think i should go afew time in day light first before trying lamping the only reason i was thinking about it is because there is not many rabbit that are out in the day there (have walked around a few time and have seen about 3 rabbits despite the endless signs of rabbits on this land but the land is being shot on quite abit for pigeons so i though that this might make them abit scared to come out in the day

Hi benisbob ,before you go out shooting live prey you need to be able to hit a

ten pence sixed target at 30 yds repeatedly, because that is the size of a rabbits brain and you need to head shoot them only ,also because your gun is co-2 the power drops with the temperature so is not really ideal for night time use.

airguns using compressed air or spring guns are much better IMHO.

regds brian

Edited by happyshooter

so you think i should go afew time in day light first before trying lamping the only reason i was thinking about it is because there is not many rabbit that are out in the day there (have walked around a few time and have seen about 3 rabbits despite the endless signs of rabbits on this land but the land is being shot on quite abit for pigeons so i though that this might make them abit scared to come out in the day

Everything changes at night, distances you know well in daylight go to pot, you walk into things and trip up all over, not to mention the strange rustles and calls and seemingly unexplained noises and movements!

Night work can be fun but you need to bend the odds in your favour as much as possible.

Know your gun, know your land and know your quarry. That is best learnt in daylight!

ATB!!

Hi benisbob ,before you go out shooting live prey you need to be able to hit a

ten pence sixed target at 30 yds repeatedly, because that is the size of a rabbits brain and you need to head shoot them only ,also because your gun is co-2 the power drops with the temperature so is not really ideal for night time use.

airguns using compressed air or spring guns are much better IMHO.

regds brian

For ten pence piece read 5 pence piece bunny brain aint that big !!

got my gun sighted in today was ment to do it sooner but the dam weather keep getting in the way i get pellet on pellet at 10 yards now so think will do the trick and will see what happend i am hopefull going shooting tomorrow if the weathers right

and would just like to say thanks for the advise to everyone who replyed

Hi fella, I'd agree with all the advice you've been given above :hmm: but,,,, if you've only zeroed at 10yds, you will only be guessing at longer ranges. So I'd suggest setting out some targets at 5yd intervals and use your scopes mildots to see where the pellet strikes. You can then adjust your scope to have a 25 or 30yd zero and each mildot [assuming your scope has mildots ?] should be 5yds difference, with .22 but less with .177. This is an approx set-up, as your pellet choice and scope cross-hairs/mildots will have a unique setting, and this only you can set up :hmm:

If you don't do this, like I said, you'll only be guessing, and will miss and scare off your quarry, or worse still, possibly maim/injure, which I'm sure you don't want to do :hmm:

Anyway I hope this helps and good luck when you do get out :hmm:

atb

Chris

Edited by JKD

i have just brought my first airrifle a xs78 co2 air rifle for £77 i am have a place that i can go shooting and i am hoping to go get some rabbits one night once i get it sighted in and get a lamp set up..

any advice to get me started with rabbit shooting or lamping would be great.

ive had one of these gr8 guns but if you polish and new seals it will shoot over 12Ilb be warned :hmm:

ive had one of these gr8 guns but if you polish and new seals it will shoot over 12Ilb be warned :hmm:

Well don't make it too obvious then eh?

OP needs to make sure that he/she knows the trajectory if the rifle is zeroed at 10 yards, not many bunnies play at that range...good luck though mate, go out, enjoy yourself.