Two way radios.

ernyha

This is not strictly new gear but does anyone else use two way radios when out shooting?

Most of the times i go out pigeon shooting it is with my mate "Daviddjlloyd" and often we end up many fields apart.For a few years now we have used them and have found them a godsend to keep in touch with each other.

What,s happening in your field,we will pack up now etc etc are just a couple of instances.Have you seen that big black cloud coming up behind you is a favourite.

We use the Cobra microtalk and while there has been trouble with both hand sets over the years, they have been replaced/repaired on both occasions without hassle or charge.

They are much cheaper in the long run than mobile phones and we find they are an invaluable piece of shooting kit.

I am not plugging a particular make,just saying what we use.

:sick:  8-)

They have a rated range of 3 kilometres - but I wondered how effective they would be in woodland for roost shooting.

Has anyone used them in this way??

I don't think pigeons use them, so you're allright.

There are some radios that don't need a PMR (Private Moblie Radio) license, with ranges suitable for most situations, now available.

CB handsets tend to by a bit heavy on batteries.

We have half a dozen of them. They are great when in close proximity. Although they claim to have a range of 3k/2m I find this not to be the case. Maybe that is line of sight range which is rarely the case when pigeon shooting. Usually revert to the mobile phone!

There are some radios that don't need a PMR (Private Moblie Radio) license, with ranges suitable for most situations, now available.

It is this type of radio that i was referring to when i started this thread.

As for the range, this varies considerably depending on the terrain and although up to 2 miles is claimed, the best we have got is about a mile when out in fields.

I still think they are well woth having and of course if you did get out of range there is always the mobile to fall back on.

I've said this elsewhere BUT!

A neighbour of mine used to do a lot of mobile engine tuning and used a mobile phone a lot.

He suddenly started to feel ill and visited the doctor. The symptoms were sudden fits of dizziness and sickness.

The doctor asked him what operation he had had on the back of his neck, where he had found some scar tissue.

The chap had never been in a hospital in his life, he is a Jehovah's Witness and they don't have blood put into them, apparently.

Investigation found that he had a mobile phone unit on a shelf just behind his van's drivers seat at head level. The scar tissue was radiation burns.

Further hospital tests revealed that a lot of the binary bits in parts of his brain were being reversed. I am not sure if it was permanently reversed or intermittant.

IT GETS WORSE!!!

Last Autumn he had a stroke and two weeks later he had three heart attacks. He is in his early 40s.

I will not have a mobile phone, but then:

I will not have gay sex.

I will not get in an aeroplane.

I refuse to have a passport that has any mention of Europe on it.

Am I paranoid???