Dispatching Winged or Pricked Birds

Paul61

I carry a 50 BMG for ensuring humane dispatch.

But seriously - its a PIGEON, no weaponry is required. If you can't dispatch it cleanly and quickly with your hands then maybe you should take up a sport that is more in keeping with your temperament. Maybe lace making or embroidery.

:/:lol: :lol: :cry1:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relatively new to Pigeon decoying but had reasonable success, however had a few winged birds, what is the best way to finish them off? I have no dog so leave the hide and pick them up myself straight away If I see there flapping. At the moment if there running I give them a second barrel, If I can pick them up I am "Wringing" there neck but to be honest pulled head off one and the others tend to be a bit messy round the neck and crop and feathers everywhere.

I know they are a pest but don't want to see them suffer unnecessarily. I also eat what I shoot.

The easiest way for me it to to twist the head of the woody 180 degrees quickly kills them cleanly. I recently bought a DVD called pigeons the experts way and it shows you how to dispatch pigeon by squeezing the lungs it seemed to work has anyone seen or read about this??? :hmm::hmm::hmm:

The windmill method works best for pigeons (thats the putting its head between your 1st 2 fingers and 'spinning' the bird.) air pistols are a curious idea...how do you get it to keep its head still? the priest is ok (alot of beaters and pickers use this on Pheasants) as for re shooting them, i only ever re shoot them id they are actually legging it or flying off as im sure you will all agree we are responsible shooters, shooting for food not for the fun of killing things. A pigeon full of lead leads to a few trips to the dentist.

These are my views, and i am allowed to express them. I do not mean to cause offence and i appologise if i do.

• 2 months later...
MMMMMMM!!! Way to help an support a newbie!!

I wonder if you dispatched everything quickly and cleanly from day one!! I suspect not!

However if your issue is you dont like to touch a wounded bird or get 'bloody' then Ive heard lace making is a lovely pass time!! :angry:

your kill count is quality

do you lamp much??

good knock on head. I have also used the method of squeezing the rib cage untill they can no longer breath. Takes about 30 seconds for it to die. Thumb under one wing two fingers under other and squeeze. Makes sense to practice first though get the feel with a dead one.

good knock on head. I have also used the method of squeezing the rib cage untill they can no longer breath. Takes about 30 seconds for it to die. Thumb under one wing two fingers under other and squeeze. Makes sense to practice first though get the feel with a dead one.

Oh mate you gotta dispatch them quicker than that!.

The whirring around like a windmill version as displayed by Mark Gilchrist for all to see on this week's Fieldsportstv.com broadcast is a disgrace. This is a cowboy way of doing things and responsible shooters should distance themselves from such behaviour. Priest or simple, controlled, non-flambouyant neck break will do.

The whirring around like a windmill version as displayed by Mark Gilchrist for all to see on this week's Fieldsportstv.com broadcast is a disgrace. This is a cowboy way of doing things and responsible shooters should distance themselves from such behaviour. Priest or simple, controlled, non-flambouyant neck break will do.

I was of the exact same opinion myself, disgraceful! I always have a priest in the bag :oops::hmm: It was otherwise a good episode, it really does show how much better rough shooting is compared to driven.

George Digweed's gun safety is is bit dodgy in this,propping a loaded gun against the hide netting.

but its interesting and refreshing to hear him say he "eases" off the pigeons in the summer saying they are our finest bird and deserve a chance to breed unscathed, in stark contrast to the kill em all attitude displayed by majority of efficient "pest controllers" on here who relish shooting big bags in the summer when its easier to do so!

but its interesting and refreshing to hear him say he "eases" off the pigeons in the summer saying they are our finest bird and deserve a chance to breed unscathed, in stark contrast to the kill em all attitude displayed by majority of efficient "pest controllers" on here who relish shooting big bags in the summer when its easier to do so!

This coming from the guy who said he shot 300plus birds then dumped them ,respect for our finest bird there dont you think :good:

Edited by proTOM1