Annoying sayings

Markio

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this sentence on some divvy website about developing the North of England :blink:

"To develop the North, a holistic, synergistic approach is needed to facilitate rapid development."

You're absolutely right, it's wrong.

It should, of course have read "To develop the north an holistic, synergistic......."

It basically means that as you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear we won't bother developing the North.

:stupid:

My mate had me in stitch's once - He was a photocopier engineer and was at a "School" he had copier in bits and a teacher walked in and said "is copier not working" to which they got reply "yes" - so said teacher put paper in and said it's not working - Yes - you just said it was ? No I didn't.

And I was caught out by the OP with his last sentence :blink:

Dave

tis a paddy ting too to be sure.....................

It's more of a Norn Iron thing.

So it is.

There's also "To die for".

It's not "to die for" you stupid b**ch, it's a f**ing pair of shoes/handbag/makeup /some other completely trivial thing.

Nial.

My mate and I had great fun at work when people said " we need to touch base" as weretorted with comments like " do and they will have you in HR for harressment". It took people along time to cotton on to the fact that touching base with another man could be seen as a homosexual advance :blink:

We are owned by an American company now so that kind of fun is now confined to our office and under the cover of a blanket like naughty children reading after bed time

Reading through this make me like so like, whatever! Basically at the end of the day we all need to touch base now and then innit. Some of you are so like stuck back in the day that basically you can't see how lush the English language has become with these phrases. Perhaps you should run it up the flagpole with your immediate friends and peers and see if a little bit of thinking outside of the box with regard to modern language wouldn't help you all get along better with the youth of today shall we say?

To be honest with you I have absorbed a lot of this blue-skied cock-speak and so forth and have found it a synergistic and holistic way in which to communicate basically, with most of my peer group. Those of you who appear to be slang agnostic should perhaps ensure that you are treating this subject with the due diligence and seriousness et cetera that it deserves. Let's try to be proactive and not reactive and get a head's up on the changing way in which language is used; for the truth no longer matters you see. I'm assuming the leading role of a floor walking change champion with regard to cock-speak and I strongly urge you all to do the same.

Issit, innit.

Edited by mick miller

Reading through this make me like so like, whatever! Basically at the end of the day we all need to touch base now and then innit. Some of you are so like stuck back in the day that basically you can't see how lush the English language has become with these phrases. Perhaps you should run it up the flagpole with your immediate friends and peers and see if a little bit of thinking outside of the box with regard to modern language wouldn't help you all get along better with the youth of today shall we say?

To be honest with you I have absorbed a lot of this blue-skied cock-speak and so forth and have found it a synergistic and holistic way in which to communicate basically, with most of my peer group. Those of you who appear to be slang agnostic should perhaps ensure that you are treating this subject with the due diligence and seriousness et cetera that it deserves. Let's try to be proactive and not reactive and get a head's up on the changing way in which language is used; for the truth no longer matters you see. I'm assuming the leading role of a floor walking change champion with regard to cock-speak and I strongly urge you all to do the same.

Issit, innit.

I'll cascade that information to my staff - sorry, my team, when I've got a window :stupid:

Capiche? :hmm:

Ciao :blink:

Edited by Chard

Not really an 'ism' but something that is seen on approximately every third post on this forum......and really winds me up.

"I should OF known better"...."I should OF bought it"...."I should OF listened at school"

NO NO NO NO NO!

"You should HAVE known better"...."You should HAVE bought it"...."You most definitely should HAVE listened at school"

Cascade away, I'm glad you've opted to become a product evangelist and run with this. I'm going to forward-plan my end.

Make sure you get your ducks in a row and hit the ground running :stupid::P:hmm:

We don't want to be just picking the lowest fruit on the tree, so let's have some joined-up thinking and we'll benchmark it :blink:

Edited by Chard

No, that one gets used in the real world as well.

How about 'good good good' when the person is clearly buying time while they think up some other inane small talk.

'How are you today?'

'Fine'

'Good good good....'

and annoying trendy speak, for example:

'Can I get burger' not 'can I have a burger'

They get it for you, it's their job, you don't need to offer to do that - moron.

I think they were probably being sarcastic.

That's how I use it.

Deep Joy was a Stanley Unwin saying wasn't it?

It most certainly was. Note non use of word "absolutely".

Gales Honey, the sunnyglow and purimost :lol:

That man can reduce me to tears of laughter within half a minute of his starting, priceless! :hmm:

Not really an 'ism' but something that is seen on approximately every third post on this forum......and really winds me up.

"I should OF known better"...."I should OF bought it"...."I should OF listened at school"

NO NO NO NO NO!

"You should HAVE known better"...."You should HAVE bought it"...."You most definitely should HAVE listened at school"

Me too, this really gets my goat, I want to give them an english grammar book and say "LEARN !!!" :hmm:

Edited by Bloke