scope recommendations

matto

I think that you'd find the Simmons scope very restricting and a bit of a hindrance, for lamping you need something bigger than a 20mm objective lens. I tried using one on a for some shooting inside a fairly dim building and I found it to be a very dim image.

Yes a bigger objective lens will help but it also the quality of the optics that can make a lot of difference.

I used to use a Hawke Pro Stalk 4-14x50 which I found good for lamping but I now use a Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 and that has a lot better, brighter and clearer image. I can certainly see the difference, especially when lamping IMHO.

i have both a hawke 6-18x44 airmax and a bushnell banner 6-24x40

although i havent used the bushnell yet in the field, i have had a point about with it in the back garden.

as far as i can tell, correct eye relief is much easier to obtain on the bushnell (hawke is very fussy), the light gathering on 9x is alot better onthe bushnell (i tend to lamp with 9x) and the greying at high magnification is less noticeable on the bushnell, although still there.

the bushnell cost me £80 plus £20ish p+p from the states.

in this country they are about £120-130, plus postage.

it will be sitting on my centerfire, so i will find out if its really any good then.

bushnell gets my vote.

i would go for 3-9x50

its what i use for my airgunning. 3x is good for less than 10 yard rats, 9x gives you the reach to take head shots at 40yards on rats.

Edited by dunganick

I've been using a walther 3-9 x 44 Ao Ir 30/30. I'ts only been used for plinkin so far but ive done it at low light levels and comes out with excellent results. at 76.95 from uttings its an affordable scope as well (free mounts too). You could get it from js ramsbottom for 68.95 but i got a bipod from there that was all rusted up. id be very carefull what you buy from them!

I find i hard to believe about the little WTC 1.5-5x20 having bad reviews on here for lamping. Are you guys talking about this particular scope or some other 20mm lens scope?

I think they are a brilliant scope for that job, very bright optics in low light and under a lamp and certainly a lot better than the majority of hawke scopes out there for under £100.

You dont have to worry about fiddling about with the zoom just wind it all the way up and you got your 5x mag.

ROB :thumbs:

I find i hard to believe about the little WTC 1.5-5x20 having bad reviews on here for lamping. Are you guys talking about this particular scope or some other 20mm lens scope?

I think they are a brilliant scope for that job, very bright optics in low light and under a lamp and certainly a lot better than the majority of hawke scopes out there for under £100.

You dont have to worry about fiddling about with the zoom just wind it all the way up and you got your 5x mag.

ROB :lol:

ROB

I agree with you mate these are in my opinion underated scopes i have 2 and think they are great for night shooting.

In fact they are better that a lot of 50mm scopes.

Ive had a few Hawke scopes over the years and they are not a patch on the WTC 1.5-5x20 for shooting after dark.

:thumbs: ;):oops::oops:

Could it be the brightness of the lamp that is a factor?

What is the tube diameter?

Having never been in the same county as a WTC let alone looked through one I am not qualified to say what is best, but psychologically I would always go for the larger lense because I assume (maybe incorrectly!) that this would gather more light.

Anyway what works for you is the best option and sod what everyone else says! :lol:

• 1 month later...

i have a white tail classic 1.5x5 x20 on one of my guns and it performs well when using a lamp. a definite no no is the hawke map pro 4x16x50 as the reticle is that thin that you lose the aimpoints on the crosshairs on some targets even in the daytime , . at night they are much worse. in my opinion these scopes need a thicker reticle , like the ones fitted to the old airmax mil dot. this would make them a great low light /lamping scope .

hope this helps

Mark.

I would go for the larger objective lens you can (56mm is ideal) and if you are lamping I would stick to fixed mag. 4x, 6x or 8x will be fine. (the zooms and sidewheels are great for daylight and FT, but for night they are too fiddly).

If most of your shooting is daylight then the high mag zooms are great, and the Nikko Nighteater 6-24x56 is the one to go for, its probably the best sub £200 scope on the market.

If you will be close to yorks soon and want to try a Nikko Gold Crown 6x56 scope to see how you get on, drop me a PM

Bindi ;)

Edited by bindi

SIMMONS 6.5X20-50 WHITETAIL CLASSIC £115.00 FROM THE STATES.

great scope for lamping. I have them on all my rifles from PCP to Centrefire.

Tried Rhino IR 6x24-50, **** field of view, hard to find target & didn't like IR.

With a lamp the cross hair of the simmons shows up very clearly. Great light gathering. You should never use the scope to search for your quarry so if you cant see it with the naked eye you will send it running before getting any good light gathering scope on it anyway.

The Pelt Man

Nikko Stiriling Nigheater, I have recently bought one after comparing it to a Schmidt and Bender. In my opinion, its a fine peice of glass and does the job. If I actually win the lotto I'll get a PMII but then a Mini gets you there just the same as a Bentley, its a money no object thing. ;)

The Nighteater has a 30mm tube, I cant say if this is any better than the 1" version though. The only downfall with the my particluar Nighteater 6-24x56 is that it has a sidewheel paralax, which is a real pain when lamping. So bare that in mind. However the Nighteater also comes as a Euro Hunter without the paralax and with thicker recticles. What I do like about my scope is that it works well in most light conditions and the illuminated mil-dot recticle is absolutely fantastic.

However, I have spoken to a few people regards the WTC and they rate them very much. If its a seondary scope purely for lamping I doubt you'll go wrong. If it is to be your one and only scope then I would consider your options a bit more.

snake bite and lancs lad, i guess niether of you have ever looked through a wtc 1.5-5x20 then :lol: toataly contadicts the big objective lens brighter view/ big 30mm tube, rules and throws them out the window.

Yes the above two are good scopes for long distance night time shooting, but the WTC 1.5-5 is perfect for 35 yard max shooting, with no parallax to worry about, no twiddling with scope zoom and hoping your on the right setting, its simple and bloody good :lol:

ROB :D

(ps wonder if he got sorted out or if hes been struggling with what ever scope he had, for the past 7 weeks LOL)

Rob, I cannot comment on the WTC as I have never seen one however I think you are missing my point. If you took a 1.5-5x20 and measured the light gathering properties and then took a 1.5-5 x50 with a 30mm tube (YES I know there is no such thing but just bear with me!) the second scope is going to have more light going through it! It has to it's the law of physics!!!