scope recommendations

matto

Rob, I cannot comment on the WTC as I have never seen one however I think you are missing my point. If you took a 1.5-5x20 and measured the light gathering properties and then took a 1.5-5 x50 with a 30mm tube (YES I know there is no such thing but just bear with me!) the second scope is going to have more light going through it! It has to it's the law of physics!!!

yep in theory you should be right, BUT the quality of glass used has a very big say in the image you see :rolleyes:

I have compared the little WTC to many scopes (hawke 40 and 50 ob lens, bushnell trophy ok so they might not be high end scopes but some have been more than twice the price of the WTC) and the WTC is a much better scope than most of them.

I really would say you need to look through one to see how good they are :thumbs:

ROB :D

snake bite and lancs lad, i guess niether of you have ever looked through a wtc 1.5-5x20 then :rolleyes: toataly contadicts the big objective lens brighter view/ big 30mm tube, rules and throws them out the window.

Yes the above two are good scopes for long distance night time shooting, but the WTC 1.5-5 is perfect for 35 yard max shooting, with no parallax to worry about, no twiddling with scope zoom and hoping your on the right setting, its simple and bloody good :thumbs:

ROB :D

(ps wonder if he got sorted out or if hes been struggling with what ever scope he had, for the past 7 weeks LOL)

You are correct, Ive not looked thru the WTC........

But 1.5 - 5 x 20, I would love to be standed in correction thinking that my Hawke SR12 / 50 PAO isnt better.

Especialy if its cheaper...............then I would have to dink my head with my SR12.

Would defo go for something without the PAO lense for night shooting though....3x9x50 would defo be my first choice, other than the YUKON NVS series of night sights.

Im just trying to bring the wife round to my "way of thought"..........but Id have to buy another PCP................................and it aint an eagle.....

Simmons WTC 1.5 - 5 X 20 has changed my opinions about objective lens size,i have one fitted to my superten,its got very fast target aquisition,crystal clear optics,use it at 2X and it focuses at 4 yards!.

Big whistles and bells scopes are OK - but if like i did,and think that you are going to get QUALITY OPTICS and ill ret and mildot and parallax adjustment and and and for around £100 - well you must be mad - those scopes drive me nuts - by the time you have adjusted everything Mr bunny has gone,and poor quality optics has me reaching for the focus ring and AO adj. all the time.

Believe me look through one and its a revelation - like someones turned the light on - and i'm so impressed that i've now gone one further and fitted a redfield 2 - 7 X 20 to my MFR,and the optics on that are something else,again no whistles and bells - but what a sight picture - i can see .177 pellet holes in targets at 60 yds.

Thinking aboout this and one thing I did come up with was ............

Does the size of the objective lense make it a factor, not in light gathering but quality? By this I mean is a 20mm lense going to be easier to make cheaply to a high standard than a 50mm lense? You are going to get a smaller area in which defects can occur with a 20mm lense.

Just a thought. :rolleyes: