Gun cleaning

Dr_T

Hi,

My Silver Pigeon III is about six months' old now and looking a little tarnished. I am planning to use some autosol to clean up some of the metalwork. I would appreciate feedback from you all that have used it and how best to apply it before proceeding.

Cheers :lol:

I don't know what this stuff is, so I will be following this myself to get some feedback, what is it meant to do? :lol::lol:

It's a mild abrasive general metal cleaner. My SP III is slightly tarnished under the trigger guard, under the forestock (fore-end) and some of the side plate engravings. Nothing major, but I would like to keep the gun in good condition since I bought it from new.

Don't use Autosol as its very abrasive, try and get some Peek metal polish, much kinder to metal finishes. Or just use Youngs 303 and kitchen towel and elbow grease, it's surprising what that stuff will do.

Is this a good advert for Beretta's, tarnishing after 6 months use :lol:

Don't use Autosol as its very abrasive, try and get some Peek metal polish, much kinder to metal finishes. Or just use Youngs 303 and kitchen towel and elbow grease, it's surprising what that stuff will do.

Is this a good advert for Beretta's, tarnishing after 6 months use :lol:

The tarnishing is where my sweaty hands contact the gun, mainly the fore-end release lever. Thanks for your advice. :lol:

Edited by Dr_T

The tarnishing is where my sweaty hands contact the gun, mainly the fore-end release lever. Thanks for your advice. :hmm:

After an hour, some cotton buds, Peek paste, kitchen roll and elbow grease, the gun is looking like new. Warning: cleaning is addictive! Once I started and saw the results, the gun received a complete make-over. I even cleaned the ejectors and they are like mirrors now! I highly recommend using Peek :hmm: Thanks for the tip Bing-Bong.

Dr_T.

My spIII also tarnished quite badly after about 6 months. I was dissapointed and after sounding off to anyone who would listen was told to use autosol to keep on top of the tarnishing. Where will I get peek polish from? Also the 686 20 bore I bought at the same time is still shiny despite being used as much as the spIII. :hmm:

My spIII also tarnished quite badly after about 6 months. I was dissapointed and after sounding off to anyone who would listen was told to use autosol to keep on top of the tarnishing. Where will I get peek polish from? Also the 686 20 bore I bought at the same time is still shiny despite being used as much as the spIII. :good:

Hi,

I went to my local hardware store and they stocked the 50g tube for £2.78 which I thought was quite reasonable. You don't need to use very much and I used cotton buds in a circular motion and removed any residue with damp kitchen tissue followed by buffing with dry kitchen tissue. The results were very good. It will be interesting to see how long the shine lasts without further intervention. :hmm:

Edited by Dr_T

The tarnishing is where my sweaty hands contact the gun, mainly the fore-end release lever. Thanks for your advice. :good:

Do you not give your gun a rub all over when cleaning it?

I normally finish off with a spray of napier gun oil then rub it off with a soft

cloth.

(Not having a go, I've only had a gun for a couple of years so am interested in

others cleaning routines).

Nial.

Both are ok to use, we use both products at work on polishing trophies, some of which are pretty priceless as the makers recommended it, in addition to the polished aluminium wheels on the trucks. I use both on my guns and have found them both very good without causing any issues.

Halfords sells autosol.

Do you not give your gun a rub all over when cleaning it?

I normally finish off with a spray of napier gun oil then rub it off with a soft

cloth.

(Not having a go, I've only had a gun for a couple of years so am interested in

others cleaning routines).

Nial.

The gun is stripped and cleaned after each use. I use Parker Hale bore cleaner occassionally and always wipe down the external metal parts with gun oil and a cloth to leave a thin protective film. My guess is that the metal parts in contact with my hands the longest get the most exposure to the skin oils and sweat. Indeed the tarnish on the fore-end release lever was a diagonal stripe which I assume is one finger. The only real problem areas where the fore-end release lever and the tigger guard. Peek is very good. The gun looks like new now. :blink:

After an hour, some cotton buds, Peek paste, kitchen roll and elbow grease, the gun is looking like new. Warning: cleaning is addictive! Once I started and saw the results, the gun received a complete make-over. I even cleaned the ejectors and they are like mirrors now! I highly recommend using Peek :blink: Thanks for the tip Bing-Bong.

Dr_T.

You will make some man a lovely little wife .

Harnser