.22 Rifles

RossM

I've always fancied a .22 rifle for rabbiting but never really understood the terminology around rifles. I see things like rimfire and centrefire (i understand the principle meaning but there seams to be more to these 2 categories than just how the firing pin strikes the cartridge) and then theres .22LR, Hornet, magnum, .22/250 etc. What do all these mean?

Also to get an FAC you have to have written permision (from the landowner) to shoot right? the police have to approve that land? does that then mean you can then only shoot at that place without further permission from the police to shoot elsewhere? does all land you shoot on have to be FAC approved? Then theres the need to have reasons on license like vermin or fox etc. also do you need permision to have a moderator?

Sorry if theres alot of questions bulked in there its all stuff i've picked up from here but am trying to decifer it all to make sense.

I have a small shoot (6 acres) with a flight pond. currently use air rifle and shotgun. I know theres probably no reason for a rifle there but would it be possible to get FAC using such a small piece of land then i could ask around for further permission as i'd have a rifle then and it would just be a case of have more land FAC approved (if thats the case) :rolleyes:

Sorry everytime you get new shooting permission you need to get Police approval of the land unless its been previously approved?

Would the police be likely to approve my 6 acres or is that a bit small?

Could still do with some help with Rifle terminology explaining!!

Sorry everytime you get new shooting permission you need to get Police approval of the land unless its been previously approved?

Would the police be likely to approve my 6 acres or is that a bit small?

Could still do with some help with Rifle terminology explaining!!

Yes to the first question.

And 6 acres could be fine if it is the right layout or shape.

The .22 question...

.22 lr or r/f or rimfire is the 'normal' rabbit gun, proabably the one you will go for.

Perfectly OK for shots out to about 100yards max.

The other calibres of which there are loads, are .222, .223. 22-250, and plenty more, are centrefires so more often use for foxes or larger quarry than wabbits, most of these will go 300 yards and beyond without any problems.

The same thing you should be looking for, imagine taking a shot, what is behind that shot? a safe soft backstop hopefully, if not you may not get the land cleared.

They will also look for the proximity of roads, footpaths, houses etc etc. Have all look at your land on an OS map and see what lays arround it.

Stray bullets and ricochets can travel vast distances if their flight isn't stopped by something.

When and if the police believe you to be sufficiently experienced and safe, they may give you an "Open" certificate. This allows the holder to make their own judgments about whether it is possible to shoot safely on a piece of land.

You will still need that landowners additional written permission to use a firearm on the land to apply for the license. You can get it without but its easier with. The BASC are very helpful in guiding you through license application pitfalls. If the land is not on the police list, they may want to check it out to see whether there's roads alongside etc.

As already said, bullets can travel several kilometers and the consequences of poor judgement or a miss can be fatal.

A .22 rimfire subsonic would probably be the safest and most sensible option for your land. A moderator will stop you drawing undue attention to your activities.

what distance would a .22 subsonic be effective upto? would it be suitable for foxes? I would want the rifle for rabbiting and protecting any ducks i put dont on our flight pond from foxes. also have a few pheasants so want to be able to control foxes for these two reasons.

hopefully once i'd gained an FAC for this and find more land i can get my fac upgraded as suitable i presume

"what distance would a .22 subsonic be effective upto? would it be suitable for foxes? I would want the rifle for rabbiting and protecting any ducks i put dont on our flight pond from foxes. also have a few pheasants so want to be able to control foxes for these two reasons."

It all depends on the quality of the scope and the skill of the shooter. You should reckon to spend the same again on the scope as you do on the rifle :lol:

Let's say fifty yards would be a good place to start from :rolleyes: tho I'm sure you wouldn't have to look far to find people who could place it accurately at twice that distance. :lol:

A rimfire would be a great rabbiting rifle but is not really up to it for Foxes.

You might have to invest in a cage trap for them or stick some triple A's in your shotgun :lol:

if you have a open ticket you can then shoot on any land with the farmers perr,the police do not have to look at it.

Mossy's right, you do not have to inform the police of every bit of land you have. First time FAC will have the land inspected, for obvious reason's, but once you have an open part, it's up to you to deem it suitable, not the Chief Constable. See link below.......

Additional Conditions

"My local gunshop said that after 5 years my ticket would become open. Did i hear him right when he said that or does he mean i'd have to ask at my renewal and then after careful concideration they would grant me an open ticket? "

I think its very much up to the Chief Constable. You'd need to keep your nose clean and show that you're a safe pair of hands.

I have a good friend who was able to get his FAC "Opened Up" after 2 or maybe it was 3 years, 2 I think. It was based on the fact that he was able to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Thames Valley Firearms chap that he'd shot a lot of deer and fired hundreds of rounds.

That was sufficient for them a year ago, but may be different now and will also vary according to your area, as our stupid bl**dy country only has the Home Office "Guidance to Police" notes which are therefore open to a differing interpretation by every plod around. Consequently conditions generally vary from one area to the next with little or no conformity whatsoever!

It could differ on your patch - but in leicester plod wont clear anything less than 20 acres for a rimmie as it sets a precedent that someone could say "well you passed one for my mate".

The 8 acres of land in question are in a hollow - and I have permission to shoot into the neighbouring fields until the closed seoson when I have been told to come back with a view to entering said land too. ( the owner has a pheasant shooting syndicate and understandingly does'nt want anyone upsetting things for now)

The best they would clear it for is fac air

• 3 weeks later...

i would second many opions on this a .22 r/f is no good for foxes and in such a small area of land a c/f is not a option. r/f do not produce enough "shock stop force" to make a sure human kill.

i would just for rabbit highly recomend a .22 fac air rifle much cheap to run and less risk of " over kill " problems. my rapid good to about 80 yard

just needed land owner say so, to shoot on that land that has been pre determined by police as safe for the calibar of gun you are using on that site. don't have to inform police for evey bit of land.