gun smithing - ejectors

TX Sniper

basically lads i sold a guy a aya no.4 that i wanted £200 for as it was in vg nick when he looked at the gun he said that the stock had been refinished and the barrels reblued, both things i wasnt aware of and that there was some play in the action which to be honest was negligble and again i wasnt aware of as i had only fired it a few times. i thought as he is an expert he knows far more than me and he offered me £100 i said fair enough. this is where it get complicated, he was doing a deal for me through a gunshop, a part ex on my fabarm beta lux which was a year old and in near enough mint condition against a beretta 687 20g fc. he got me £750 px and i paid £200 on top coming to £950 for the new beretta. £100 of this came from the aya. i thought nice beretta is a fair price and i got a good px on the fabarm. anyway he rings me a few days later saying the ejectors are playing up on the aya (see below) and he wanted another £50 off me. again this was something i wasnt aware of as i had only shot a few rounds and fired both barrels whenever i shot it. this basically means he would have been getting what was in my opinion a very nice little gun for £50. i said i would have to think about it as i consider done deal sold as seen but as he did me a favour on the beretta i said look i'll pay £25 he said that was taking the ****, that he would get it repaired and send me the bill and hung up before i could say anything else like i'll give you all your money back and i will keep the gun. just checked the shop which the beretta came from and they go out at £950 anyway so he didnt get me it cheaper and from what i can gather £750 is a fari sh price on a near mint fabarm beta lux. as they go out at £1200 new. now guys i have the below problem, am i being a *** or is he? am i being tight or is he trying to blag me? to be honest i hate falling out with people and it has upset me a bit.

does anyone know how much it costs to have ejectors repaired/adjusted on an aya No. 4. the problem is something like this: if you fire both barrels they both eject as they should, if you fire one barrel they both eject, and if you just fire the other apperentl neither ejects. i would have thought its an adjustment to the springs and was prepared to pay about £25 but he thinks that is tking the ****, he wanted 50 originally but now he says he will get it done and send me the bill. thing is i know he has mates in the trade so it will probably cost him f all.

any help appreciated,

Sounds like a blag to me sniper. You made a deal and he want's more money after the event. If you traded in a car for a new one you would not expect the garage to ring up a few days after you sealed the deal to say there was a hole in the exhaust so you owe them more money.

He doesn't have a leg to stand on in my opinion.

Don't give him any money, he is trying to blag you. As tenbears said, you wouldn't do the same with a car.

He saw the gun before hand so the deal is done. He is being a *** not you

How can he send you the bill for repairs after the sale??? Tell him to go forth and multiply(politely):rolleyes:

Edited by kip270

From the sound of your description of him and his examination, he knew a lot about guns. If he could see re-bluing and re-finishing, why couldn't he see ejector problems?

In which case, he should have spotted any other problems too.

Can't really see why someone would go to the trouble to re-blue and re-finish a £200 Aya myself.

It does sound like he is having a lean.

I think, as the law stands, its a case of "let the buyer beware"

I wouldn't offer him anything back.

I might offer to take it back for £100 and sell it to someone else.

I completely agree with the above Sniper,

I do a few deals on guns and have some friends in the trade. If you sold it as seen you have nothing to worry about, quite frankly he got a cheap BL EJ whichever way he views it. the repair is a simple adjustment and at worst 20 quid. Uless he`s a friend tell him to wind his neck in, not that any friend would do such a thing! In future its a good idea only to deal direct with the gunsmith and sell only to strangers.

Sleep easy my friend. :rolleyes:

Charly

Does sound like he's trying to take you for a ride here mate. I would stick to your guns, hand over no more cash, and if he starts moaning, do as mentioned above; buy it back for what he paid you (which is next to nothing for a vg Aya.4) then resell it yourself.

Don't be scared/forced into backing down to some big mouth wheeler dealer who thinks he knows best.

ive had this myself over the years mainly with car dealers

if you bought said gun off him would you then ring him back and demand money back for something you missed?? the answer is NO!

he is a middle man dealer and will try it on with most people if he scences(sp?) they are a fair person or a soft touch! he is a bully!!!!

heres how i would handle it...... (apart from telling him to fornicate himself)

tell him you will look after him on the next deal and never do bussines with him again, he is a chancer

Sounds a bit of a Flanker to me

What did he want for £100 anyway ,

as for seeing it had been reblued Loads of old guns get reblued and stocks refinished , that wont always knock the price down, infact quite the opposite in most cases if you buff a gun up it will add to its value (as long as it isnt a bodge job)

Sold as seen tried tested and approved!!

WB

Did he ask you if you were the first owner of the gun before he mentioned the stock and the re-blueing? I bet he did.

It is basic Law, he made you an offer, you accepted, deal done. No going back after the event.

Methinks he's trying to take you for a ride my friend. :<

thats what i thought to, but he is mates with the shoot captain so i didnt want to cause tension but at the same time i didnt want to be taken for a ride. i would by the gun back but cant afford it but at the mo (im a student). my dad offerd to as he thinks the guy is being a jerk aswell. my dad is a car dealer though but an honest one and he agread with you lot, if its sold as seen then its a done deal. i can just see him sending me the bill for a full service done by aya for like £200, i guess i'll drop £20 in the envelope with a note saying heres my contributation and send it back.

thanx for the help guys you have put my mind a rest, i will enjoy my shooting on sat now without worrying.

thanx again jim

This bloke sounds like a real cheeky b@stard. I'd tell him to p..ss off, but first offer him his £100 back and tell him you'll have the gun back. I am sure there are a few on here that would give you £100 for it.

If he's not happy then tell him where to go. Next he'll be suggesting that you knock him another £30 off so that he can put 250 carts through it just to make sure.

JEEEZZ, where do these people come from. I hope he runs over a large rusty nail..ouch...He must be a cheeky southerner (now that'll start the thread going)

I have a selling mantra, decide how much you want for the gun and stick to it, and when some bright spark tries to get clever, tell em you've just added another tenner to the price, then watch thier smart**** grin disappear.

A good AYA 4 has to be worth at least £150-£200.

I have a buying rule too, which is pay a fair price.

Edited by bindi

This sounds a bit complicated... is he or is he not a Dealer ?

If he is.... ask to see his dealers licence if he doesnt have one he will probably go away...

Sounds to me that he took a risk at getting the Berreta cheaper than he actually did, has taken a loss and is looking to recover it from you.

An Aya No. 4 re-blued and refinished stock is not going to lower the value substantially and the ejectors are not necessarily expensive to fix.

Either way like everybody says this guy sounds like a Charlatan.

You have done nothing wrong but it sounds as though he is sailing very close to the wind.

Forget him !

FM

PS is it the No 4 you got from me ?? If so I can confirm that the Gun is original Blue and Stock and was serviced before you had it By Cotswold Shooting co. As far as Im aware the ejectors were Brilliant.

yes mike it was, i know this is why i was shocked when he mentioned these things, as i know any you would have mentioned them and you seemed like a honest gent and are a respected member on here. so it seems he was making things up. i coming to think he was after a cheap buy to sell on. the ejectors seemed fine to me aswell but i only shot it a few times at the gun club so never fired the barrels individually. the gun when i sold it was the same apart from an added but pad as when you left it with me, so you can confirm it was in sound nick. if he gives me more greif would it be possible for him to confirm with cotswold gun shop that it was sound

p.s. how are you getting on with the lanber and hope you are having a good season.

thanx jim

Jim..

If he gives you any more greif Pm me and I will send you my private mobile No. The guy can ring me and Ill put him straight.

Looking at my records the Gun had a new retaining screw put in the forend by Cotswold Shooting but was serviced by Mark Hazels gun room.

Dont take any **** from the Guy.

Tell him your not happy with the new Berreta and you want £75 back because you keep missing birds...... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Mike.

TX, I don't think I can say any more than what's been said already.

Apart from - getting this 'expert' to shove that gun right up his **** and then pulling the trigger. That should check the ejectors!!! :)

Caveat Empore - Let the buyer beware. :)

Don't let that To$$er bully you.

Enzo