E-coller

robc89

It's not the e-collar I am particularly concerned about. Although they do seem to attract the 'quick fix' brigade. No. The reason I advised not to use one in these circumstances is that the dog is stressed up through anticipation and in my experience any attempt to discipline by whatever means him would lead to an increased level of stress. You just have to live with the whining initially and direct the nervous energy in a positive way and he should grow out of it.

whining in spaniels is a pain in the backside, i'm not convinced its them stressed more excited and its a hell of a difficult one to break. It is different to the running off issue, best option is to get advice from a few of the spaniel owners on the whining issue as it will annoy the hell out of you

hes a labrador?

So with this excitment should i not be trying to discipline it out of him?

Will he grow out of it?

I suggest an e coller as i have tried a long lead and he is so well behaved but its when he has to make the decision about coming back!

Once again thanks for the advice guys.

hes a labrador?

So with this excitment should i not be trying to discipline it out of him?

Will he grow out of it?

I suggest an e coller as i have tried a long lead and he is so well behaved but its when he has to make the decision about coming back!

Once again thanks for the advice guys.

Ignore it

It's not the e-collar I am particularly concerned about. Although they do seem to attract the 'quick fix' brigade. No. The reason I advised not to use one in these circumstances is that the dog is stressed up through anticipation and in my experience any attempt to discipline by whatever means him would lead to an increased level of stress. You just have to live with the whining initially and direct the nervous energy in a positive way and he should grow out of it.

I shouldn't expect a dog to just grow out of any bad habbit let alone one that has become realy established, a risky statergy in my mind. No possible harm can come from correction some dogs just need a firm no and others need a liitle more its for the owner or trainer to call the how

I shouldn't expect a dog to just grow out of any bad habbit let alone one that has become realy established, a risky statergy in my mind. No possible harm can come from correction some dogs just need a firm no and others need a liitle more its for the owner or trainer to call the how

Most dogs whine for attention, sometimes that can include a telling off, like you say depends on the dog.

Generally if ignored they realise that they get nothing from whining and give up.

If it got to the stage where it really got on my nerves I'd put the dog back in the car

with a lab I'd be less worried especially with a young dog. i've know spaniels that were out shooting once or twice a week do it all their lives. One in particular I could have happily shot on a shoot day as standing next to it on a partridge day ruined my day!

Get it out and do more shooting and expose to more game and you should sort it as well as giving it the occasional talking to, touch wood it will just get better as it experiences more and it gets less exciting

Most dogs whine for attention, sometimes that can include a telling off, like you say depends on the dog.

Generally if ignored they realise that they get nothing from whining and give up.

If it got to the stage where it really got on my nerves I'd put the dog back in the car

But if you get one that can bark and whine all day it might get to the stage it carries on without the dog even knowing it's doing it and then you do have issues. No harm can come from tackling this issue head on, though i do know what you mean about attention through correction - care is needed i supose