DTL Scores Decreasing

weimaraner

Without seeing you shoot it's very difficult to give advice, but if your technique is sound then it's down to practice and concentration. Rythem is important but so is shooting with a good squad. Concentration is the key, it makes the difference between winning and losing, but has to be learned, you have to be able switch off to everthing except the next target and not be distracted by anything, and i mean anything, not noise, talking, rain, total focus, dont look at any other target than your own. Other shooters targets are of no interest to you, look at a spot on the ground and visualise your next target dissapearing in a ball of dust, visualise yourself shooting in slow motion, making sure everything is right before calling, your swing should be a smooth acceleration through the bird, keeping the gun moving even after the clay has exploded, and if there is a big bit shoot that as well, this keeps you ready for that second barrel kill should you need it. Practice this way and you will begin to get into THE ZONE. This mythical place where winners shoot.

It takes time and dedication, but you can get there. Good luck.

most important thing i got told is dont 'time travel' ie dont be thinking about your end score or what you have shot previously. Dont think got iv missed 2 and im only on my second peg. Also dont think im on for a 290 or 280 if i carry on. Just say it one target can i shoot it. yes. Then the next target, its one target can i shoot it.

Hi

I'm looking for advice on shooting DTL

I have be shooting it for around a year. And have found my scores decreasing from 24~25 ,70+

to 21~23. I think i'm the birds because of lack of concentration

I read here a while ago its 75% rhythm

Any advice welcomre

take it u aint changed ur gun ? if not then u now that aint a factor as uve been hitting good scores with it :yes:

Lack of concerntration or become too complacent ? maybe uve become too relaxed as u knew u were getting the good scores ( a little cocky if u like ) and picked up some bad habits because of this along the way .... i tend to get like this if ive had a good shoot and say ive got the first 9 of 10 .... the 10th ill mess up as become too relaxed mentally ( like thinking yeah ive got the other 9 so ill get this type of thing )

maybe a coaching session would be a good idea and back to basics :good:

used to shoot DTL competitively and found that my concentration and conditioning would waver during the last 30% of shots. To combat this i put my Ipod in and played music whilst i shot in order to not get bored and helped use the rhythms to mount properly and take the right time to shoot etc. Also getting used to holding your gun for 100 plus shots in your shoulder will help. Maybe not lack of concentration but nerves? i used to get a little nervy knowing i could hit 99/100 ex 100 and so towards the last 2 clays on each round i would shake a little bit with nerves, hoping not to miss and thus dash my chances at prizes/money (and I was only a B/A grade shot). For nerves and rushed preperation the best thing to do is unmount the gun re open in (screw whatever the line up is doing because each bloke/woman is their own team) and then re mount it and carry on with usual routine. DTL IS ROUTINE ROUTINE ROUTINE. easy peasy!

p.s

check that your eyes aren't getting tired too! :good:

Without seeing you shoot it's very difficult to give advice, but if your technique is sound then it's down to practice and concentration. Rythem is important but so is shooting with a good squad. Concentration is the key, it makes the difference between winning and losing, but has to be learned, you have to be able switch off to everthing except the next target and not be distracted by anything, and i mean anything, not noise, talking, rain, total focus, dont look at any other target than your own. Other shooters targets are of no interest to you, look at a spot on the ground and visualise your next target dissapearing in a ball of dust, visualise yourself shooting in slow motion, making sure everything is right before calling, your swing should be a smooth acceleration through the bird, keeping the gun moving even after the clay has exploded, and if there is a big bit shoot that as well, this keeps you ready for that second barrel kill should you need it. Practice this way and you will begin to get into THE ZONE. This mythical place where winners shoot.

It takes time and dedication, but you can get there. Good luck.

Excellent advice :look: