what to look for in a used semi ??

rayo

My mate has told me he knows someone who is selling a Winchester semi auto

and as i am thinking of getting one can anyone give me some tips on what to look

for incase its a duffer as me and my mate have only shot with u/o guns we know

nowt about them

I dont know what model it is yet ' are winchesters usualy reliable ?

Cheers

Ray

:):)

I would say the most common fault would be failing to cycle reliably.

So the only way to check that, as far as I know is to shoot it,

Good advise stu

I have just been through this myself and am now the proud owner of a Franchi Raptor, a very nice tool.

A good look down the tube is a starting piont!

good luck

I have a Winchester 1400 semi multi-choke and have owned it for over 10 years. Only problem I had when it was new was sometimes it was fussy about which carts it would cycle. But after 6 months use it now works with anything. Overall a good alround sg but built to a price. No expensive walnut :thumbs:

As Pav says, check out the barrel for corrosion and obvious signs of damage. Work the action and check for any rough signs and look at the external surfaces of the gun for signs of abuse. If that is all good then get to try it and check it cycles/shoots/fits you well.

ive used a winchester 1400 and found it to a good gun providing you find a cartridge it cycles with,also had a remmington 1100 which i found was a cracking gun ,now im after a beretta al 391 gamo they seem to be regarded as the best auto by many

Edited by remmy1100

Winchester is part of the browning group and in my humble opinion they come a very close second to the Benelli as far as reliability is concerned i own a browning gold 3.5" semi M/C in advantage camo and i have owned this gun for 2 years and love it the only trouble i had with this gun was it got called back by browning with regards to the magazine spring which was of the round section type spring and this proved not strong enough, and as i say was recalled and a square section spring was fitted free of charge.

If its reliability you want get a Benelli they are the fastest cyclic semi on the market but saying that i am more than happy with my Browning and seeing the winchester come from the same stables i cant see there being any major probs with it.

The only advice for checking the gun i can give is open the action and load from the bottom this should then chamber the first cart immediately and check the magazine spring with your thumb that it moves freeley and doesnt seem to catch. And dont use cheap plastic snaps for this use brass or any metal types of snapcap

cheers sean

Thanks for the advice i have now bought the gun after firing a few rounds through it .

The lad was selling up so i bought the winchester 140 semi ' an investarm 3 " magnum' a 3 gun cabinet 2 gunslips and a cartridge belt for £240 so now with my lanber have 3 guns and i have not thought "why do i need three guns" whilst the missus looks at it from a slightly different angle

AH the wonders of shooting!!!!

:lol: :o ;)